Custom Search

Put your Boss 302 on the track at Gingerman raceway near the shore of Lake Michigan • Drive Your Boss 302 on Ford's Michigan Proving Ground • Show Your Boss 302 at Ford's Development Center and more! 
Click here for more info.

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Boss 302 Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Big Diameter H-pipe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 landlocked

landlocked

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Flex Titanium, MB E350, PW Boss 302 #1791
  • Interests:Cars,Surfing and Hometheater

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Is any one tempted to put the big dia. H-pipe on?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 robertlane

robertlane

Boss 302 Member

• 1,856 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2008 GT500KR

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Is any one tempted to put the big dia. H-pipe on?

2.25" vs. 3.00" - oh, yeah.

Moderator Boss 302 Forum

Dearborn, Michigan

Need help using this forum?  Click here for tutorials.

#3 landlocked

landlocked

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Flex Titanium, MB E350, PW Boss 302 #1791
  • Interests:Cars,Surfing and Hometheater

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

2.25" vs. 3.00" - oh, yeah.

Hey Robert Lane,
What's the diff. between performance and race pipes?
LL

#4 NOSBOSS

NOSBOSS

N.O.S.Boss

• Miss. Valley Region
  • 47 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss CO / white roof
  • Interests:Mustangs

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

LL,
The difference between the race H-pipe and the performance H- pipe version that MRT offers is the type of material used in the catalytic converters . Race has a metallic catalysts while the performance version uses ceramic material.

I had installed a larger mid pipe on my 04 Mach in preparation of running a supercharger, and could definitely tell a seat of the pants difference in the way the car ran .

I will be buying a larger diameter h-pipe for the boss for sure. I think , there is some power to be had with that mod. Unlike axle backs , which are more a choice of sound , than for power gains.

#5 Bad Boss 302

Bad Boss 302

Bad Boss 302

• Southern Plains Region
  • 707 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Ranger

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

LL,
The difference between the race H-pipe and the performance H- pipe version that MRT offers is the type of material used in the catalytic converters . Race has a metallic catalysts while the performance version uses ceramic material.

I had installed a larger mid pipe on my 04 Mach in preparation of running a supercharger, and could definitely tell a seat of the pants difference in the way the car ran .

I will be buying a larger diameter h-pipe for the boss for sure. I think , there is some power to be had with that mod. Unlike axle backs , which are more a choice of sound , than for power gains.

There is not much to gain in the exhaust until you up the horsepower with a power adder. Then you really need to change out the whole exhaust starting with long tube headers. For the stock Boss engine, changing anything in the exhaust is not going to net you very much, maybe 5 hp and 5 tq at the most. The thing is that the stock exhaust system flows pretty good for what the stock engine needs. Once you force more air and fuel down its throat is when you need to open up the exhaust.

Like NOSBOSS said, axel backs won't give you anything at all, just a different sound. So if I was adding a Turbo or S/C, or Nitrous, I would do long tube headers with 1-3/4 primaries (hopefully 4" collectors), 3" X-pipe (with or without cats), and keep the rest of it 3" or better to the back of the car. If you live in an area like I do where we must pass emissions each year, I would have to have cats. I tried one year to pass emissions with steel hi flow cats and the car wouldn't pass. I've used ceramic hi flow cats and it passed. Keep us informed on what you do.

Dave

ZoomButt.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users