Custom Search

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Boss 302 Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Random Misfire code?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Sprsnk

Sprsnk

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Interests:Road Racing, Desert Racing

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

I have tracked both of my Boss 302's, both of them on track day have thrown the code "Random Misfire". I cleared them and they are both running fine. Anyone else experienced this?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 Harley

Harley

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 351 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss302 CO
  • Interests:Motorcycles

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

Several people have had the same experience. The hope is that the trackey will prevent that from happening.

#3 scrowner

scrowner

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

I have an LS and drove it hard at the track - no codes. Maybe I am just slower but no issues and I loved its performance.
My Garage
1986 325E - lemons racer
1987 325E - RallyX
1997 Miata Turbo
2012 Boss 302 LS #192 black/red

#4 SVT NAJA

SVT NAJA

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 239 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP Coupe

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

I have tracked both of my Boss 302's, both of them on track day have thrown the code "Random Misfire". I cleared them and they are both running fine. Anyone else experienced this?

I have an LS and drove it hard at the track - no codes. Maybe I am just slower but no issues and I loved its performance.

Gentlemen,

Do you recall what the ambient temperature was the day you ran your Boss's at the track? I'm wondering if this is due to inadequate engine cooling.

#5 Sprsnk

Sprsnk

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Road Racing, Desert Racing

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:57 AM

Gentlemen,

Do you recall what the ambient temperature was the day you ran your Boss's at the track? I'm wondering if this is due to inadequate engine cooling.

Boss 302: 80F Nashville Superspeedway, 93 octane
Laguna Seca: 85F Hallett, Mix of 104 octane and 93 octane

Edited by Sprsnk, 10 October 2011 - 01:59 AM.

#6 scrowner

scrowner

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:33 AM

Gentlemen,

Laguna Seca: 40-50F Summit Point, WV, chilly wind, very humid and rained second half of the day. 93 octane. My engine temp was a bit less than 200F during the runs of about 25 minutes.
My Garage
1986 325E - lemons racer
1987 325E - RallyX
1997 Miata Turbo

#7 SVT NAJA

SVT NAJA

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 239 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP Coupe

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Gentlemen,

Boss 302: 80F Nashville Superspeedway, 93 octane
Laguna Seca: 85F Hallett, Mix of 104 octane and 93 octane

Laguna Seca: 40-50F Summit Point, WV, chilly wind, very humid and rained second half of the day. 93 octane. My engine temp was a bit less than 200F during the runs of about 25 minutes.

It's interesting that at 50 degrees, no problems were encountered. I can't believe 80 and 85 degrees can be causing the Random Mis-Fire code, but who knows.

#8 Mike_B_SVT

Mike_B_SVT

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2003 Cobra Convertible
  • Interests:Cars, Games, Fun

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

It's interesting that at 50 degrees, no problems were encountered. I can't believe 80 and 85 degrees can be causing the Random Mis-Fire code, but who knows.

I thought some folks had figured out that the misfire code was due to track "roughness" / vibration transmitting through the chassis and causing a crank sensor to see it as a misfire? I think I read that on one of the various B2 forums...
Mike B.

...its been 10 years, I'm due for a new car come 2013 >.>

Sonic Blue '03 Cobra Convertible
#2004 of 5082
Built Wednesday, Jan 22nd, 2003
1 of 340 w/ Black Top & Med. Graphite Interior

Teal '93 Cobra #1795
Gray Leather Int, w/ Sunroof
Built 4/14/93
Stolen & Stripped 6/6/02

#9 scrowner

scrowner

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

I thought some folks had figured out that the misfire code was due to track "roughness" / vibration transmitting through the chassis and causing a crank sensor to see it as a misfire? I think I read that on one of the various B2 forums...

That is a correct statement. So, I suspect this to be track surface dependent. The track I was on had few imperfections in comparison to other tracks.
My Garage
1986 325E - lemons racer
1987 325E - RallyX
1997 Miata Turbo

#10 jim woodruff

jim woodruff

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 54 posts
  • Current Vehicle:laguna seca
  • Interests:road racing

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

Sunday I took my LS to the track which was very rough the temp. was 58 f and yes I threw the p300 misfire code. So you are correct about the track conditions.

#11 Framus

Framus

2012 Boss 2488

• Mountain Region
  • 3 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Mountain

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

Ok, I have been fighting random misfires since February. Many P0300, 301, 302, 303, 304 DTC codes. All have been on the same bank. After I got Ford customer care involved and factory engineering looking at the car, it turned out to to be the crank sensor. The misfire was easily duplicated with a 6500 rpm pull. I guess the vibration from high rpm was enough to trigger the misfire.

Origanilly the dealer factory support group just had the dealer bank swap parts. Since the problem never followed the swaps, the servicing dealership tried to get factory engineering involved with no response. Customer Care definitely works on the squeaky wheel principle. I can't say enough good about the dealership. They worked with my PCU data logs and spent time learning how to duplicate the problem. if you are in the Denver area, they are Groove Ford. Now after 5 months, I finally have a great automobile!

#12 Harley

Harley

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 351 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss302 CO
  • Interests:Motorcycles

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

If this is occurring with the track key then there is a fix. They have to relearn the crank position sensor and everything should be fine.

#13 Framus

Framus

2012 Boss 2488

• Mountain Region
  • 3 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Mountain

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

My misfire issue was occuring before they installed the trackey. In Feb. there was a firmware fix that had to be updated before the trackey could be installed. Unfortunately, the misfires continued with both keys. They tried relearning after each trouble shooting session and still had the problem. Given the rough track or engine vibration issues with the CKS on a few of the cars, there must be a low level problem with the sensor. Anyway, I put over 200 miles on the car with no reoccuring probems... ahhh a good one. The Miller Motorsports folks said Rouch Racing told them they solved the problem by building a new wire harness (only effected a few cars). The only think can think of is that some of the CKSs out there may have low output and the heaver gauge harness with better signal integerty helped. I would be nice if I could get the factory to give me the root cause of the CKS failure on my car, but good luck with that.

#14 BOSS302_1234

BOSS302_1234

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Northeast

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hello - I'm new to this Forum but am expereincing the same issues with my Boss with and without TK. I've tracked the car several times and nearly every run I get a CEL. Sometimes it flashes and the car goes into limp mode while other times it's a steady light with no perfomance issues. I've read and cleared P0300, P0304 & P0307 codes more times than I can remember. My last Track Day at the Glen it continued to happen. While on my way home afterwards it came on again...this time P0420 & P0430 (Catalytic Converter Failure). I've had my car at the dealer several times and spoken to Ford Racing Tech and cannot seem to get any resolution. This last time the dealer had my car for a week, put it through a drive cycle which did not present any of the codes I've expereinced. They told me they could not re-create the problem so there was nothing wrong.  They went on to tell me that they could not spend anymore time acting as my tuning shop and that they really did not want me to bring the car to them again. Prior to this last visit I I had the dealer preform the re-learn procedures as well as re-install TK. I emailed Ford Racing again tonight summarizing all of the misfire (and now cat porblems). I am not confident that this will ever get fixed but will keep my fingers corssed. The Boss is an awesome machine but the dealer service, problem solving and general lack of knowledge present at every dealer I've visited is very disheartning. I have always been a diehard Ford / Mustang fan but given my expereinces over the past several months I must say that there is much to be desired when it comes to correcting issues with the Boss.

Edited by BOSS302_1234, 24 July 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#15 trokosz72

trokosz72

Tommy's Boss

• Great Lakes Region
  • 12 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302 Mustang
  • Interests:NASCAR, Farming, Fishing, Hunting, Swimming

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hi I own a 2013 boss 302 gotta have it green, I drive my car everyday. I have #3448 boss. I have been experiencing after driving for 30 minutes on way to work then shut engine off to get a coffee at dunkin donuts then restart engine I put foot on accelerator it popped like a misfire. It only happens when you drive for awhile, then shut engine off then it does this on restarting engine. Does anyone know what's wrong??? Also my car after warming it up the engine sounds like a tapping valve sound knock at idle. Is this normal?? I don't beat my boss, can the boss mustang need to be retuned? I am very concerned, I take my car into ford tomorrow for them to look at! But I hope it's a minor problem, because I love this car!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users