Custom Search

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Boss 302 Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MT82 Transmission

88 replies to this topic

#1 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,128 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Interests:Competition Boss 302's, Racing, Performance Updates

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

Fellow Boss 302 Drivers:
This thread is started as a place to gather information on the Getrag MT82 manual 6 speed transmission. This transmission is standard equipment on all 2012 Boss 302's as well as all 2011-12 manual transmission equipped Mustangs. During my short tenure with the Boss 302 Forum, I have read many Boss 302 owners express concern over "Shift Problems", ranging from rough shift to will not engage.

To begin this thread, I have enclosed some information found in the Ford TSB 11-3-18 as well as a link to access the full TSB bulletin. As we, (Forum Members) develop this thread, we can add all information found that will help Boss 302 owners in the proper repair of their MT82 Transmission. With that said, I have also read many Boss 302 owners report NO problems with their MT82 transmission operation and some have even said "Best Mustang transmission ever", [sic]. So with that said, the following post will address TSB 11-3-18.

On March 14, 2011 the Ford Motor Company published a TSB 11-3-18 to address customer concerns of "Increased Shift Effort" The complete TSB document link can be found here:
http://www.mustangev...-2012-mustangs/ Or directly here: http://cdn.mustangev...sb-11-03-18.pdf

MT82 MANUAL 6-SPEED TRANSMISSION COLD TSB 11-3-18
SHIFT EFFORT FORD: 2011-2012 Mustang

Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Fluid MT82 6-speed manual transmission may exhibit increased shift efforts in cold ambient temperatures.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
This is usually most noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears but may also be noticed in 3rd through 6th gears. The increased shift effort may be the result of the increased viscosity of the transmission fluid in cold weather . . . Continued - See full TSB

Hopefully, with everyone's help we will be able to document specific transmission problems and the appropriate procedures for owners to follow to document and repair their transmissions. Thank you for your assistance and support - Hi Pro
20140810_163952_zpsksksih1y.jpg

2012 KB 500A Boss 302 - Production Number 2800. Special Ordered Options, Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Differential.Ford Racing Performance Parts, (FRPP), UpGrades & Modifications. | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Boss 302S Peterson CVS, FRPP TracKey, Sound Tube Delete Billet Aluminum Cap, FRPP High Flow K&N Drop In Air Filter. | Transmission - Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Competition Spec Shifter & Heat Shield, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP High Flow Stainless Clutch Fluid Line, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Magna Flow Street/Comp 3.0" Stainless Cat-Back Boss 302 X-Pipe System, Open Boss Side Pipes & Lowered Tips. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Boss 302 Spec. Springs, Koni Sport (Yellows), Steeda HD Camber Plates, Kenny Brown GT4 Roll Center Relocation Kit, KB Street/Comp LCA's, KB LCA Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adj. UCA & Steeda Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 HP Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 High Temp Fluid, | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, MonoChromatic Rear View Mirror, (Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass).

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 JohnRichard

JohnRichard

Yellow Blaze 1516

• Mountain Region
  • 197 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 Yellow Blaze
  • Interests:Why will this not let me change my year to 2012 on Boss year?
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

I hope this thread works, on all of the other forums it was nothing but Ford bashing... I really hope that does not migrated to this forum as well...

This is my second Mustang to have the MT82 transmission and the other cars transmission had no issues other then the cold shifting... It was a late October 2010 build date and I never did the fix for TSB 11-3-18...

changes done by Ford to improve the transmission have been implemented...

I am not going to disagree and say the transmission issues are all an urban legend because I think it is a fine transmission I am 2 for 2 without issues...

In terms of changes made since the 2011 production began:

04/26/2010: Revised Clutch Pedal Return Spring
For clutch stay-out at high RPMs

10/19/2010: Revised fastener/thread locker
Addresses clutch fastener back out

09/07/2010: Changed 5th/6th gear surface finish
Addresses grinding during 5th gear shifts

01/07/2011: Revised Clutch Spring Finger Height
For clutch stay-out at high RPMs

02/25/2011: Fourth gear weld incomplete during production
Process verification to ensure complete gear welding

07/01/2011: Vehicle message center
Extended skip-shift illumination time so drivers aware of engagement

07/25/2011: Added phosphate coating to gears
Reduces gear noise

07/25/2011: Lower viscosity lubricant
To reduce shift effort in all temps

08/31/2011: Changed clearance between 2nd gear friction ring & cone
Resolve ring to gear face contact and gear clash

I would attach the file but it is too big.... May be the link will work
http://www-odi.nhtsa...1024-48900P.pdf

Edited by JohnRichard, 06 December 2011 - 10:54 PM.

2012 Boss 302 Recaro/Torsen, Car Cover and Yellow Blaze Paint Code NQ

List of Mods to date

CJ Setup.
A different intake, a different throttle body, different exhaust headers and exhaust system, a different drive shaft, a different shifter and some suspension stuff as well... and something else I almost forgot, different injectors to run other fuels. 

#3 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,128 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

I hope this thread works, on all of the other forums it was nothing but Ford bashing... I really hope that does not migrated to this forum as well...

This is my second Mustang to have the MT82 transmission and the other cars transmission had no issues other then the cold shifting... It was a late October 2010 build date and I never did the fix for TSB 11-3-18...

changes done by Ford to improve the transmission have been implemented...

I am not going to disagree and say the transmission issues are all an urban legend because I think it is a fine transmission I am 2 for 2 without issues...

In terms of changes made since the 2011 production began:

I would attach the file but it is too big.... May be the link will work
http://www-odi.nhtsa...1024-48900P.pdf

JohnRichard: Thank you for sharing the Product Improvment measures taken by FoMoCo. I know for me, it is reassuring to read the steps Ford has taken to improve the driving experience of the MT82. And, I agree with you, my goal is not to bash Ford, I think they make the great cars, rather this thread is to help owners in the repair process.

The first step for anyone having shifting problems, is to document the complaint on a Warranty Repair Order with your local Authorized Ford Dealership, and to begin working with your local Ford dealership for corrective action. Depending upon severity of the complaint, I am sure Ford has an established repair procedure for the MT82 and this thread is a place to document that procedure from Boss 302 Drivers who have successfully had their MT82 repaired. Good Luck out there - Hi Pro

2012 KB 500A Boss 302 - Production Number 2800. Special Ordered Options, Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Differential.Ford Racing Performance Parts, (FRPP), UpGrades & Modifications. | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Boss 302S Peterson CVS, FRPP TracKey, Sound Tube Delete Billet Aluminum Cap, FRPP High Flow K&N Drop In Air Filter. | Transmission - Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Competition Spec Shifter & Heat Shield, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP High Flow Stainless Clutch Fluid Line, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Magna Flow Street/Comp 3.0" Stainless Cat-Back Boss 302 X-Pipe System, Open Boss Side Pipes & Lowered Tips. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Boss 302 Spec. Springs, Koni Sport (Yellows), Steeda HD Camber Plates, Kenny Brown GT4 Roll Center Relocation Kit, KB Street/Comp LCA's, KB LCA Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adj. UCA & Steeda Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 HP Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 High Temp Fluid, | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, MonoChromatic Rear View Mirror, (Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass).

#4 mgreen167

mgreen167

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

So I have been reading about the problems these cars have been having. My Boss had a rough shifting problem while it was cold, and sometimes while it was warm. I also heard a faint grinding noise coming from under the shifter. I took it in for an oil change, to check the brakes (they were making noise), and to check the grinding noise. The next day I got a call that there was some bearings that went bad in the transmission. Its going to take them a week, but they say they're going to rebuild the transmission. So this is me sharing my experience.

#5 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,128 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

So I have been reading about the problems these cars have been having. My Boss had a rough shifting problem while it was cold, and sometimes while it was warm. I also heard a faint grinding noise coming from under the shifter. I took it in for an oil change, to check the brakes (they were making noise), and to check the grinding noise. The next day I got a call that there was some bearings that went bad in the transmission. Its going to take them a week, but they say they're going to rebuild the transmission. So this is me sharing my experience.

Mgreen167: Can you give us an update as to how your transmission rebuild turned out? Do you know what happened to cause the failure? Keep in touch - Hi Pro

#6 mooremmmm

mooremmmm

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 BOSS 302
  • Interests:Mustangs

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

Mgreen167: Can you give us an update as to how your transmission rebuild turned out? Do you know what happened to cause the failure? Keep in touch - Hi Pro

I just had my transmission rebuilt. See the post in the Lounge titled Gear whine anyone? At first I thought it might be normal, but it defnitely wasn't.

Here is a picture of it torn down:

Posted Image

#7 Boss1236

Boss1236

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Ford performance vehicles

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

I had the TSB performed a couple of weeks ago. It definitely had an effect but it did not totally eliminate the issue. I had the hard, notchy shifting primarily in the 1st to 2nd shift when cold but to a lesser degree in other gears. Since the TSB was done, the 1st to 2nd when cold is less notchy but still evident. When fully warmed up the trans shifts noticeably easier and smoother so there was some benefit to the oil change in the trans. I've also started to use 2nd gear to start off when cold. There's more than enough torque to easily do this. Will be curious to see how this goes as I get more miles. I'm at 2500 right now. I'm hoping it will get better with more miles.

#8 Bad Boss 302

Bad Boss 302

Bad Boss 302

• Southern Plains Region
  • 707 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Ranger

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

I had the TSB performed a couple of weeks ago. It definitely had an effect but it did not totally eliminate the issue. I had the hard, notchy shifting primarily in the 1st to 2nd shift when cold but to a lesser degree in other gears. Since the TSB was done, the 1st to 2nd when cold is less notchy but still evident. When fully warmed up the trans shifts noticeably easier and smoother so there was some benefit to the oil change in the trans. I've also started to use 2nd gear to start off when cold. There's more than enough torque to easily do this. Will be curious to see how this goes as I get more miles. I'm at 2500 right now. I'm hoping it will get better with more miles.

I'm with you on starting out in 2nd gear. For driving around in city traffic it sure beats 1st gear. I've been doing that for about 3 months now.

ZoomButt.gif

#9 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,128 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Good news here, I just checked the UPS tracking number for may package from our friends at MGWLTD, and it states: " Scheduled Delivery: On time, Wednesday, 12/28/2011, By End of Day"! Yes! I will keep you posted and give you a discription of the item as it is unpacked. If I can figure out how to post some pictures, I will share those too. - Hi Pro

December 28, 2011 - Update:

UPS delivered the MGW shifter this afternoon, I will have to wait a few weeks before I can install the unit, but I did open the box and inspect the contents. I am very happy with the workmanship and materials used to construct this shifter. Billet aluminum construction, stainless steel shifter stem, high quality hardened fastners and power coated lower shift box. The rear shifter box support bracket is provided by two polished steel rods in a sleeved billet aluminum power coated bracket. I also purchased the heat shield that when installed stands off of the bottom of the lower shifter box by approx. 5/8" for air circulation.

It is nice, very nice indeed. - Hi Pro

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 28 December 2011 - 08:56 PM.

#10 SVT NAJA

SVT NAJA

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 239 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP Coupe

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:56 AM

Boss1236,

Welcome to Boss302Forum! I see you're in the East Bay. Which dealer did your TSB and are you happy with their service?

#11 Boss1236

Boss1236

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Boss1236,

Welcome to Boss302Forum! I see you're in the East Bay. Which dealer did your TSB and are you happy with their service?

Thanks. I had Fremont Ford do it. One of the owners of the dealership has a Laguna Seca of his own. They got 4 Boss' allocated to them and also sell GT 500s, etc. I figured they'd be more likely to have some knowledgable techs at this location. I also had them install the Track Key and everything went fine with that so far. I'm also going to get the QTP Electric Exhaust cutouts soon.

#12 Boss1236

Boss1236

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

Good new here, I just checked the UPS tracking number for may package from our friends at MGWLTD, and it states: " Scheduled Delivery: On time, Wednesday, 12/28/2011, By End of Day"! Yes! I will keep you posted and give you a discription of the item as it is unpacked. If I can figure out how to post some pictures, I will share those too. - Hi Pro

Are you referring to a shifter upgrade? If so, I'd be curious to see how this might help with any transmission shifting issues you are having.

#13 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,128 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

Are you referring to a shifter upgrade? If so, I'd be curious to see how this might help with any transmission shifting issues you are having.

Boss1236: Yes, MGW manufacturers a replacement (short throw) shifter for the MT82 transmission. I was researching short throw shifters and someone on this site recommended this shifter. I was thinking about installing a Hurst shifter, but then found out the Hurst is only an "Upper" shifter unit. The MGW is the only replacement shifter that I have found that makes both the Upper and Lower shift units. There is a rear shift rod support bushing that is included with the MGW unit.

Google "MGW Shifters" and you can check out their video, You can see the stock peices and the replacement peices side by side. Once you see it, your questions will be answered. Wish you and your Boss all the Best! - Hi Pro.

#14 regalt87

regalt87

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

A little information on the MGW shifter. I have a 2011 V6 performance car which has the MT82 transmission. It didn't have any serious issues but I knew about the TSB for the duel clutch fluid so I had it done. There was a slight difference (improvement) in the shifting. What I didn't like was downshifting in a hurry was not always accurate. I put the MGW in and now the downshifts are dead on accurate. It is a little shorter throw and stiffer going into reverse but no issues to report. My observation is that although the MGW is a quality part I believe a large part of the problem is The OEM factory rear mount is not very well designed. I am buying a 2012 Boss next week and I haven't decided to just try the Barton rear mount first and see how it goes or buy another MGW. Hope that helps.
07-GT 500- JLT CAI, VMP 2.6 with tune, Steeda LCA's & UCA, Steeda Hood struts, FR 373's

#15 JohnRichard

JohnRichard

Yellow Blaze 1516

• Mountain Region
  • 197 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

I installed the MGW shifter and heat shield last night, fun project.... After I removed the factory shifter ball, I managed to drop it on the cement garage floor and put a very nice deep Grand Canyon size scratch in the thing… I wonder what that is going to cost to replace…

The only thing I need to get used to is the sound that travels down the gear linkage and up the shifter handle to the shifter ball…

It is not a vibration it only happens when you change gears… you can definitely tell when it’s in gear by the sound… The sound improved the confidence that the transmission is fully engage in the gear selected. I hope this is normal for the shifter…

I also disconnect the skip shift solenoid while I was under the car but still at low speeds it is hard to upshift to second… My 2011 GT was the same way… More than likely an engineering design in the transmission, designed for the skip shift feature or poor design and this invented the skip shift feature...

HI-Pro, let us know if yours does the same...

List of Mods to date

CJ Setup.
A different intake, a different throttle body, different exhaust headers and exhaust system, a different drive shaft, a different shifter and some suspension stuff as well... and something else I almost forgot, different injectors to run other fuels. 

#16 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,128 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

I installed the MGW shifter and heat shield last night, fun project.... After I removed the factory shifter ball, I managed to drop it on the cement garage floor and put a very nice deep Grand Canyon size scratch in the thing… I wonder what that is going to cost to replace…

The only thing I need to get used to is the sound that travels down the gear linkage and up the shifter handle to the shifter ball…

It is not a vibration it only happens when you change gears… you can definitely tell when it's in gear by the sound… The sound improved the confidence that the transmission is fully engage in the gear selected. I hope this is normal for the shifter…

I also disconnect the skip shift solenoid while I was under the car but still at low speeds it is hard to upshift to second… My 2011 GT was the same way… More than likely an engineering design in the transmission, designed for the skip shift feature or poor design and this invented the skip shift feature...

HI-Pro, let us know if yours does the same...

I plan to install the shifter next Saturday morning, the shop is closed tomorrow due to the holiday. If it rains, then I will have to reschedule, but I will let you know how it turns out. I am very sorry to hear about you shift knob. I plan on using a leather strap wrench to remove mine, and I think I will just keep it in the car until its time to reinstall. Bye for now. - Hi Pro

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 30 December 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#17 JohnRichard

JohnRichard

Yellow Blaze 1516

• Mountain Region
  • 197 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

I put a hair dryer on it and cooked it so it come off by hand

List of Mods to date

CJ Setup.

#18 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,128 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

I put a hair dryer on it and cooked it so it come off by hand

JR: Do you mean a regular hair dryer or was it a shop type heat gun? I will definitely try the hair dryer trick, come to think about it, after watching the install video, (twice), that was the only part of the job I wasn't sure about. thank you - Hi Pro

#19 MIG

MIG

Michel

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 81 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 (1719)
  • Interests:SCUBA, Motorcycles, Cars

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

I got my MGW installed last week. Also used the heat shield. The shifting is much better. There is quite a bit more transmission noise than before but it was well worth it. I give it an A plus.

#20 JohnRichard

JohnRichard

Yellow Blaze 1516

• Mountain Region
  • 197 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

JR: Do you mean a regular hair dryer or was it a shop type heat gun? I will definitely try the hair dryer trick, come to think about it, after watching the install video, (twice), that was the only part of the job I wasn't sure about. thank you - Hi Pro

I just used a normal hair dryer for about 5 minutes to get it really warm...

List of Mods to date

CJ Setup.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users