Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MT82 Transmission

98 replies to this topic

#21 mgreen167

mgreen167

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

For those asking about an update on my transmission rebuild, here it is. Day 32 and they have taken it apart for a 3rd time. I'm not being told there is a "substantial" unknown grinding noise coming from the transmission. I am being told they are consulting an engineer, but I don't know what that will do for me. Frankly I am a little concerned as to what this sort of work has done to the overhaul integrity of the car. I am having serious buyers remorse, having traded in an 08 Mustang GT that would be almost paid off right now (with not a single mechanical problem).

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#22 Shocky

Shocky

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

I am new to the forum, but a couple of observations. I don't have any real problems with my new Boss's transmission or the shifter. In fact, it shifts pretty much like my last car, Porsche 997. The issue may be that the Boss transmission is designed more for the track vs. the strip. European transmissions in general need a bit more finess than the " rock crusher " types. I would say, if you are really intent on the drag strip put in a Tremec with a Hurst. For what it is worth.
Shocky
  • TymeSlayer likes this

#23 JohnRichard

JohnRichard

Yellow Blaze 1516

• Mountain Region
  • 205 posts
  • Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 Yellow Blaze
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

good post Shocky, my second car with the MT82 and no issues... But I have to disagree, my 2011 GT I had atleast 50 passes on the car without transmission issue just drivers issues...
MGreen, wish you had it better so you could enjoy your car... One could look at it as atleast mileage is stay low...

Edited by JohnRichard, 05 January 2012 - 10:29 PM.

2012 Boss 302 Recaro/Torsen, Car Cover and Yellow Blaze Paint Code NQ

List of Mods to date

CJ Setup.
A different intake, a different throttle body, different exhaust headers and exhaust system, a different drive shaft, a different shifter and some suspension stuff as well... and something else I almost forgot, different injectors to run other fuels. 

#24 mooremmmm

mooremmmm

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 BOSS 302

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

good post Shocky, my second car with the MT82 and no issues... But I have to disagree, my 2011 GT I had atleast 50 passes on the car without transmission issue just drivers issues...
MGreen, wish you had it better so you could enjoy your car... One could look at it as atleast mileage is stay low...

Based on all of the threads I've read, it seems that most MT82's are just fine. You and I are just two of the unlucky few with problems. I know your pain, but as frustrated as i was, I forced myself to be patient and eventually got my car back in good shape.... after six weeks. At least I think its good. I haven't had out on the road much since I got ib back due to the weather. The whine is definitely gone, and it shifts fine. Hopefullly I can beat on it this weekend to see if it seems solid before I park it for the rest of the winter.

#25 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

For those asking about an update on my transmission rebuild, here it is. Day 32 and they have taken it apart for a 3rd time. I'm not being told there is a "substantial" unknown grinding noise coming from the transmission. I am being told they are consulting an engineer, but I don't know what that will do for me. Frankly I am a little concerned as to what this sort of work has done to the overhaul integrity of the car. I am having serious buyers remorse, having traded in an 08 Mustang GT that would be almost paid off right now (with not a single mechanical problem).

MGreen167: Very sorry to learn of the problems you have encountered with your MT82. I can understand your concerns and remorse the repair attempt by your dealer has caused. Three failed repair attempts would have me concerned as well and I would have to question the dealers ability to provide a proper repair. Have you contacted Ford Motor Company Owner Services to request assistance? You might consider asking Ford to provide the dealer with a new transmission assembly to replace your unit. I am just surprised that Ford has not offered technical assistance to the dealer to assist in the transmission overhaul, after all they do have procedures to assist and ensure cars are not in the shop for more than a month for the same repair.

I would hope that someone (at the dealership and/or Ford) is bending over backwards to help you resolve this problem. You should be compensated for your loss of use of the vehicle and I would hope that someone is taking care of you with a "comparable" rental unit, credits for monthly car payments, (if financed), etc.

The last thing that any car manufacturer wants is for one of their customers to seek remediation through state lemon laws. You need to explore all of your options and at this point and insist this problem is resolved. Time is of the essence. Wish you the best and keep us posted as to the resolve of this repair. - Hi Pro

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 07 January 2012 - 12:06 AM.

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#26 mgreen167

mgreen167

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

MGreen167: Very sorry to learn of the problems you have encountered with your MT82. I can understand your concerns and remorse the repair attempt by your dealer has caused. Three failed repair attempts would have me concerned as well and I would have to question the dealers ability to provide a proper repair. Have you contacted Ford Motor Company Owner Services to request assistance? You might consider asking Ford to provide the dealer with a new transmission assembly to replace your unit. I am just surprised that Ford has not offered technical assistance to the dealer to assist in the transmission overhaul, after all they do have procedures to assist and ensure cars are not in the shop for more than a month for the same repair.

I would hope that someone (at the dealership and/or Ford) is bending over backwards to help you resolve this problem. You should be compensated for your loss of use of the vehicle and I would hope that someone is taking care of you with a "comparable" rental unit, credits for monthly car payments, (if financed), etc.

The last thing that any car manufacturer wants is for one of their customers to seek remediation through state lemon laws. You need to explore all of your options and at this point and insist this problem is resolved. Time is of the essence. Wish you the best and keep us posted as to the resolve of this repair. - Hi Pro

Thanks for your concern. I have contacted Ford directly, and they verbally expressed their concern. According to my dealership, they contacted the technical assistance group with no avail. I got a rental car for three days, but nothing more than that and nobody seems to be bending over backwards to help me. I don't know if it's the dealerships fault or if there is some stock into these faulty transmission's (maybe only the early models). I was told by the dealership that they asked for a new transmission and they were denied. When I spoke with somebody from FoMoCo they mentioned that if they couldn't figure out what was wrong with the transmission, they would replace it. I just wonder how a new transmission is going to effect the overall performance or resale value.

#27 Fat Boss

Fat Boss

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 379 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Race Red Boss 302

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Sorry to hear about the problems. I hope they get it figured out or replaced. I don't think a new transmission would negatively affect the value. Your counterargument would be that it is right and not bad like some of the other ones for sale. My feeling is the trans is an isolated mechanical unit that can always be replaced with a good one.

Someone is going to start "blueprinting" these MT82's and they will be sweet. Mine works great, better now at 9000 miles than at any point up till now. It seems to just be getting better. A properly rebuilt transmission where you use micrometers and dial indicators to check component dimensions along with well made bearings will be the hot ticket in the future. They'll be as good or better than the good new ones. It just takes time for someone to get all tooled up, a business plan in place, and people's warranties to start running out.

2014 Sterling Gray Fusion Energi Titanium - Plug In Hybrid   :redcard:  :drop:

2012 Race Red Boss 302 # 3041 - BMR, Koni, H&R, M&M, CoolTech Bar and Harnesses

2012 Race Red Boss 302 # 733 RIP - Gave up the ghost at Spring Mtn, sold at auction in June '13, PM me if you bought it I have the owner's package

1999 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4 444 CI Turbo Diesel 6 Speed Manual, original owner with 300,000 miles

1995 Mustang GT sold to get 1999 SD

1981 Ford Pathfinder Quadravan 4x4 Van 351W bucket list item but sold to avoid enormous money pit (pats self on back)

1964 Falcon convertible 289 Toploader 9" 4 wheel discs, moms cousin bought new, dad bought it from him in '83, still have and sink $ into

#28 mblackowski

mblackowski

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

I Although i i am not having difficulty shifting , i am disappointed with a Chinese trans in an American muscle car . For the money i over paid i expected at least a tremec 6 speed in any new Mustang . IMAO

#29 ORNG302

ORNG302

New Boss 302 Member

• Northeast Region
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

Why do you feel you overpaid? And if you feel that way, why did you?

#30 rocketw25

rocketw25

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 Race red

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Just joined bought my boss 2 days ago 171 miles and I'm noticing more noise during clutch operation as well as one time where the shifter pushed itself out of first gear leaving a light. Does this no matter what temperature it is. Feels like the clutch is not engaging or disengaging in a controlled manner no matter how slow i shift. Less of a problem in 3-6 gears. This appears to be an established issue. Back to the dealership.

#31 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Just joined bought my boss 2 days ago 171 miles and I'm noticing more noise during clutch operation as well as one time where the shifter pushed itself out of first gear leaving a light. Does this no matter what temperature it is. Feels like the clutch is not engaging or disengaging in a controlled manner no matter how slow i shift. Less of a problem in 3-6 gears. This appears to be an established issue. Back to the dealership.

Timestamp,
I sometimes here a clunk noise or pop type sound when depressing or releasing the clutch. I have no slippage, the clutch works fine, grabs nice, where it should and I have about a 1/4" of free play at the top of the pedal. Just sometimes I hear the clunk, mostly when I am coasting to a stop, push in the clutch and shift to neutral when the drive train unloads, CLUNK! Please let me know what you find after your service visit. Thanks so much - Hi Pro.

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#32 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 945 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

I Although i i am not having difficulty shifting , i am disappointed with a Chinese trans in an American muscle car .

Consumers have DEMANDED foreign made good for years. Yep, they go into stores and buy "The Best Value" for the buck amd walk out.

The suppliers/manufactures have been listening and have responded with foreign made products.

The Strange thing is the "People are surprises" to find foreign products....REALLY!!!!!

I hear the same thing from my parents 70+ now. Why can't we buy American anymore??? Look at all the foreign made junk... Bla Bla Bla. They are the same folks who bought with only one thing in mind....What Is Cheaper!!!

You want an All American Made car, truck, Shirt............ The American consumer made that impossible. Live with it.

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#33 ORNG302

ORNG302

New Boss 302 Member

• Northeast Region
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

There are very little all-american made products today. None in the automotive industry if you really look into it.

#34 RaceRat

RaceRat

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Timestamp,
I sometimes here a clunk noise or pop type sound when depressing or releasing the clutch. I have no slippage, the clutch works fine, grabs nice, where it should and I have about a 1/4" of free play at the top of the pedal. Just sometimes I hear the clunk, mostly when I am coasting to a stop, push in the clutch and shift to neutral when the drive train unloads, CLUNK! Please let me know what you find after your service visit. Thanks so much - Hi Pro.

Where is the clunk coming from? Mine was clunking and then snapped the input shaft...twice. LOL
But seriously, check the tranny mount for tears.

#35 Bad Boss 302

Bad Boss 302

Bad Boss 302

• Southern Plains Region
  • 707 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Ranger

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

I have found some play in the diff. I had the tranny in neutral and the parking brake on and I could turn the driveshaft back and forth. I know when you set up a rear diff that you have to have some gear lash but this seemed excessive.

Remember, you always have the choice to buy or not. So when you are buying mods to put on your car - always buy American.
  • 302 Hi Pro likes this

ZoomButt.gif

#36 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Allways buy American! I agree 100%. I am very close to the finally selection of my parts list and will try to post up this weekend.

#37 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

Well if I lived in Boston, I would be "Boss-Less" in Boston! Yes, fellow Boss drivers, my Boss is down, and I had to leave it in the shop only to wait until Monday so the "Transmission Specialist" can look at it, and let me say, when I came home this afternoon, It looks strange having that empty bay in my garage.

The Boss had developed some clunk and clunking noises and/or sounds that could be heard at very low speeds about 5-10 mph Sometimes just coasting down the driveway at 7 mph or so, there would be a clunk noise when I would depress the clutch pedal. If I would come to a stop at the end of the driveway, put her in reverse, go 50 feet or so and then depress the clutch, and you guessed it, clunk! A new problem developed recently, it would not up-shift from first to second gear when shifting at higher RPM's. I found that when shifting above 4,000 RPM, second gear would not enguage. The shift would lock up as I tried to enguage second gear. I could shift in to third, or fourth and then down shift to second, but it would not upshift from first to second above 4.000 rpm.

So this morning, I went to up to the shop so I could inspect the car on a lift. I found myself thinking about the MGW shifter I installed in January. Do I have a “Re-Do or Comeback” to deal with? I just had to check, so I removed the 4 nuts holding the stainless steel heat shield and remove the shield and insulation. With drop light in hand what do you think I found? Nothing, everything is fine and nothing is amiss.

Then it hit me, yep, it hit me alright, a drop of transmission fluid! Further inspection found traces of oil coming from the left side top area of the transmission. Darn! Only 731.6 miles on the unit. Next I removed the oil fill plug to check the oil level and nothing drips out. In checking fluid level no oil could be found within an inch of the open plug hole.

I checked for leaks at the engine and rear differential, and thankfully all is fine there. Once I hear the news and cause of failure, I will post it so others can keep an eye on their units. - Hi Pro.

#38 quahogboss

quahogboss

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Mustang Boss

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yikes!!! Sorry to hear the bad news! I was backing my boss out of the driveway very slowely, noticing that everytime the tranmission engaged, I heard a low noise clunk!! I had also heard some other noises in the tranny once in a while, thought it was normal or it was me??? No major problems as of yet!!!

#39 JohnRichard

JohnRichard

Yellow Blaze 1516

• Mountain Region
  • 205 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 Yellow Blaze
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

I hate to say this... But you jinxed yourself by starting this thread before you ever owned the car... Now I just jinxed myself by posting this... owell stuff happens...

2012 Boss 302 Recaro/Torsen, Car Cover and Yellow Blaze Paint Code NQ

List of Mods to date

CJ Setup.
A different intake, a different throttle body, different exhaust headers and exhaust system, a different drive shaft, a different shifter and some suspension stuff as well... and something else I almost forgot, different injectors to run other fuels. 

#40 Bad Boss 302

Bad Boss 302

Bad Boss 302

• Southern Plains Region
  • 707 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Ranger

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hi Pro, I'm very interested is this because some of what you experienced has happened to me. Keep us posted. Thanks

Dave

ZoomButt.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·