Custom Search

Put your Boss 302 on the track at Gingerman raceway near the shore of Lake Michigan • Drive Your Boss 302 on Ford's Michigan Proving Ground • Show Your Boss 302 at Ford's Development Center and more! 
Click here for more info.

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Boss 302 Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bucking while in low rpm in 1st gear

transmission

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 icarpejugulum

icarpejugulum

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

My Boss has 5,000 miles. Been running it hard to break in. at about 2,500 miles in, the car would buck and surge forward two or three times until I reengage clutch or just get it out of 1st. Some say it's a weird issue that could mean a faulty MAF or some other reason for it running lean. Gas is consistent 91 octane. Others say it's clutch related. My clutch has had issues dropping to floor at high rpms and difficulty getting into a different gear. Feels like I'm locked out. Lockout goes away after rpms lower and I can place into gear, but for a minute or so thereafter the clutch never travels back up to normal position after engagement.

I've been running it hard, clutching properly etc. It happens to infrequently, that my dealer can't help since he can't personally observe it. When I took it in for oil service, neither issue displayed and I just drove home and given promise to fix once a tech can see the issue in action.

I suspected the clutch spring might be off because every once in a while I'll be in 3rd gear (let's say) and it will suddenly feel like the clutch is fully engaged and I seem to have sportier power. Difficult to explain to dealer, but that's the best I got.

Any thoughts on the cause?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,042 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Interests:Competition Boss 302's, Racing, Performance Updates

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

My Boss has 5,000 miles. Been running it hard to break in. at about 2,500 miles in, the car would buck and surge forward two or three times until I reengage clutch or just get it out of 1st. Some say it's a weird issue that could mean a faulty MAF or some other reason for it running lean. Gas is consistent 91 octane. Others say it's clutch related. My clutch has had issues dropping to floor at high rpms and difficulty getting into a different gear. Feels like I'm locked out. Lockout goes away after rpms lower and I can place into gear, but for a minute or so thereafter the clutch never travels back up to normal position after engagement.

I've been running it hard, clutching properly etc. It happens to infrequently, that my dealer can't help since he can't personally observe it. When I took it in for oil service, neither issue displayed and I just drove home and given promise to fix once a tech can see the issue in action.

I suspected the clutch spring might be off because every once in a while I'll be in 3rd gear (let's say) and it will suddenly feel like the clutch is fully engaged and I seem to have sportier power. Difficult to explain to dealer, but that's the best I got.

Any thoughts on the cause?

icarpejugulum: Here is something to think about, from what you have explained, it sounds to me, as though you may have two (3) separate problems. First, you mentioned the Clutch Pedal sticks to the floor, I believe I have read a TSB for this exact problem, and there is a fix documented for this condition. However, there was supposed to be a production fix for this condition in cars built after a certain date, so I am surprised to learn of a 2012 with this condition, as it was first related to 2011 5.0L GT vehicles. You can search for the TSB regarding "Clutch Pedal Sticks To Floor, High RPM Shifts"

Next; is the "feels like I'm locked out of gear" [sic], I have this same problem and I have no suggestions, nor does my dealer. My car is going into the shop tomorrow, so mybe they will find something.

Last: Bucking and surging in first gear: I have not had this problem, perhaps as the weather warms up more forum members will be driving their cars and can share more information. Please keep us all posted as to the progress you make in finding the cause of these items. Thank you, - Hi Pro
imagejpg1_zps1e8ea153.jpg

2012 KB 500A Boss 302 - Production Number 2800. Special Ordered Options, Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Differential.Ford Racing Performance Parts, (FRPP), UpGrades & Modifications. | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Boss 302S Peterson CVS, FRPP TracKey, Sound Tube Delete Billet Aluminum Cap, FRPP High Flow K&N Drop In Air Filter. | Transmission - Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Competition Spec Shifter & Heat Shield, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP High Flow Stainless Clutch Fluid Line, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Magna Flow Street/Comp 3.0" Stainless Cat-Back Boss 302 X-Pipe System, Open Boss Side Pipes & Lowered Tips. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Boss 302 Spec. Springs, Koni Sport (Yellows), Steeda HD Camber Plates, Kenny Brown GT4 Roll Center Relocation Kit, KB Street/Comp LCA's, KB LCA Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adj. UCA & Steeda Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 H. P. Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 High Temp System Fluid, | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, MonoChromatic Rear View Mirror, (Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass).

#3 Bad Boss 302

Bad Boss 302

Bad Boss 302

• Southern Plains Region
  • 707 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Ranger

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

I think I know what the bucking in 1st gear is about. There is a fair amount of gear lash in the rear differential. You can test this yourself by jacking up the rear of the car until you can slide under. With the tranny in neutral and the parking brake engaged, grab hold of the driveshaft and turn it back and forth. It will clunk at each extreme. This clunking noise is amplified through the hollow driveshaft. I mostly hear and feel this clunking when the car is cold when I pull out in the morning. I think you will hear and feel this more under very light acceleration. I rarely use 1st gear anymore. I generally start out in 2nd gear.

Hope this helps,

Dave

ZoomButt.gif

#4 SeanL

SeanL

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 Race Red/Black, '99 beater Civic
  • Interests:R/C aircraft, Mustangs, Electrical Engineering, PC gaming

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

I have not had consistant bucking in first, but I notice that if I take off too soon after a cold start I get bucking. Once it caused unintented acceleration for a brief moment in a parking lot. That was scary as hell! Now I don't interrupt the raised rpm warmup that the car does. You can get the rpms to settle if you blip the gas after she starts, but it won't run right for a minute if you do.

#5 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 2,248 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 L S # 482 blk/red
  • Interests:LOTS of Speed and LOTS of Relaxation
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Bucking is just that - like a bronco that's a little out of control. May be a new car thing. Break her in slowly and gently to stop that bucking.

I have not had consistant bucking in first, but I notice that if I take off too soon after a cold start I get bucking. Once it caused unintented acceleration for a brief moment in a parking lot. That was scary as hell! Now I don't interrupt the raised rpm warmup that the car does. You can get the rpms to settle if you blip the gas after she starts, but it won't run right for a minute if you do.

Being the first year of the NEW Boss, and this is the UBER, Laguna Seca edition at that, Ford took extra care in assembly of this FLAGSHIP / DEBUT model. Which translates to one BAD -ASS car. THAT HAS NEVER HAD AN ISSUE.  :victory:   BONE STOCK - STOCK AS A ROCK...'cus it's under warranty !! TRACKEY, basically just cosmetics, GT 500 spoiler w/ taller C.F.Gurney flap,  Sportlines, Flowmaster Hushpower axlebacks, short/stub side exhaust replacements, custom, lightweight squared 19X10 wheels , Whiteline trans mount bushing, Energy Dynamics urethane rear shift assembly mount. All LS take - off parts are packaged up.  Being away from my Boss  is "For the birds"    :waiting:       "http://i766.photobuc...zps00f5ec06.jpg"   :camera:  "http://i766.photobuc............GOOGLE my vid at janerinsurance.com/r8 for a relaxing canyon run.......... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:                                    

#6 quahogboss

quahogboss

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Mustang Boss
  • Interests:woman, guns, cars, football

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

The Boss I was driving at track attack was bucking(surging) like crazy, Had to push in clutch and go to next higher gear, that seemed to correct it.

#7 JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo

Jeff

• 911 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Both my 2013 and my friend's 2012 LS do this in first gear. In fact she drove my car just today and when she picked me up also commented on how they hadn't fixed what ever the issue is. There are also other Boss owners who have commented on this annoyance in other forums. I can get the car to do it if in first and then let off the gas and it will start surging as if to get the revs up. It did this before and after the new 12/13 track software so that isn't the cause or the cure. Now that I know what can trigger it I've found I can anticipate and avoid it most of the time.
Posted Image

#8 Fastoldman

Fastoldman

Fastoldman

• Northern Plains Region
  • 135 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SBY Boss 302 LS
  • Interests:Track events,Time Trials, Autocrossing , Track Instructor

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Like Sean L , I have this condition when cold. Once warmed up it seems to disappear. It is a long legged car, and have driven many other models that exhibit a bit of this nature, as they just don't want to go Slowwwww !

#9 sadil

sadil

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 220 posts
  • My Region:Canada, Central
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 - School Bus Yellow
  • Interests:Motorsports
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

My car bucks in every gear if the rpm is low enough, I usually cruise in 3rd on the highway in traffic, and the car feels like its choking. I don't know if this is the best thing to do, but the first two gears rev up too high for traffic driving at 45-50km/h. The bucking right when the car is on is present in my car too, but when I let the car warm up properly, the gears are smoother.
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 SBY (05/25/12)
- Recaros
- Cover/Mats
- TracKey (05/23/12)
- Side plates removed (06/03/12)

#10 bossjz

bossjz

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • My Region:Canada, Northern
  • Current Vehicle:boss 302

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

i have bucking too, more on the track key though

#11 Dvendet

Dvendet

Boss Doctor

• Southeast Region
  • 932 posts
  • My Region:Other
  • Current Vehicle:Boss Laguna Seca
  • Interests:Engineering, cars, golf, racing

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have experienced this condition on three occasions. It occured when 1) the car was not fully warmed up, 2) I was in 2nd gear and I was approaching a stop sign, and 3) I just lifted my right foot off the accelerator, while at the same time I was just beginning to apply the clutch (so I could coast to the stop sign). All 3 occurences happened under these circumstances. However, I am not able to recreate this surge condition evey time I do this. It was quite unnerving the first time I did this. When I fully depressed the clutch (on my 13 LS), the acceleration subsided. I have not discussed this issue with my Ford dealer as I cannot recreate this condiion when I try too. I have not seen this surge in any other gear and it only occured when the car engine was not fully warmed up. Probably relates to the engine PCM software. dvendet
b2ddae40f7fe020c4d0cf1e20150bec7_zps2a00

#12 Lars

Lars

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

I live on a hill and when the car is cold, and I'm going down the hill without even having my foot on the gas, the car will surge.  It can be a little scary.

#13 mustang_girl

mustang_girl

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 491 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 Laguna Seca
  • Interests:road racing

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

This is definitely a common issue when the car is cold.  Upshifting usually takes care of it for me...

#14 kevin

kevin

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 boss #861
  • Interests:many

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

The  bucking only happens to my car when I first start out. I let it warm up a little more now and try to keep the rpm's up for a block or two then no bucking.I try to prevent it: It can't be good for the drivetrain.

#15 Rich B.

Rich B.

What could possibly be next??

• Northeast Region
  • 2,302 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:20!3 Boss 302
  • Interests:Learning what others have to say about these cars.. At this point simply trying to keep car in one piece (always taking things apart) and have at the ready as an occasional driver.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Almost sounds like a fuel enrichment issue bucking when the engine is cold. Corvettes had a 9th fuel injector in the intake plenum for this; don't know if the Boss' do or not. Need the factory manuals for these cars. May have linkage slightly out of sync and starting in a higher gear than thought (have had this issue).

Edited by Rich B., 25 December 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#16 dabossinne

dabossinne

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 371 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302, School Bus Yellow
  • Interests:Cars, hunting

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

I think I know what the bucking in 1st gear is about. There is a fair amount of gear lash in the rear differential. You can test this yourself by jacking up the rear of the car until you can slide under. With the tranny in neutral and the parking brake engaged, grab hold of the driveshaft and turn it back and forth. It will clunk at each extreme. This clunking noise is amplified through the hollow driveshaft. I mostly hear and feel this clunking when the car is cold when I pull out in the morning. I think you will hear and feel this more under very light acceleration. I rarely use 1st gear anymore. I generally start out in 2nd gear.

Hope this helps,

Dave

BadBoss 302 is right... it's excessive driveline lash caused by a combination of: relatively compliant engine and trans mounts + 2 piece driveshaft w/ DS isolation bearing mounted in a soft rubber donut, which were all done for NVH reduction purposes. My Boss does this too sometimes in 1st gear... shifting to (or starting out in) 2nd gear usually takes care of it.

My last car, a '96 Porsche 993, did the same thing in 1st gear, and it was basically the same problem... excessive driveline lash mostly caused by the stock soft rubber engine and trans mounts. When I swapped out the stock mounts to aftermarket hard urethane mounts it went away. Suspect going to a 1 piece DS plus stiffer engine and/or trans mounts, would go a long way toward eliminating this problem in the Boss.

Edited by dabossinne, 25 December 2012 - 09:13 PM.

• 302 Hi Pro and Rich B. like this

2013 Boss 302 #0837
- SBY, Recaros / Torsen diff, cover / mats
- Trackey

- Steeda Boss lowering springs

- Dynomax UltraFlo axle backs

- Forgestar 18x10 textured gunmetal finish wheels

- Hoosier R6 295/40-18 tires

- Rod End Supply custom adjustable panhard bar w/ Ingalls relo bracket

- Ingalls camber bolts
- FRPP brake duct kit

- Dynotech aluminum one piece DS

- Stiffler DS safety loop
- Barton shifter bushing/bracket
- JLT oil separator
- 3M clear guard mask (partial)
- Sound tube delete

Coming soon: Steeda Boss lowering srings, Ingalls engineering camber bolts, Pagid race pads w/ titanium backing shims, braided SS brake lines

Eventually: Camber plates, Kooks intermediate length SS headers, catted H-pipe & mid-pipes, DBA slotted brake rotors

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users