Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrades retaining stock head unit

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,449 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:21 AM

Anyone who has changed out the stock speakers know the ohm rating on them? Are they 2 or 4 ohm?
Usually 8ohm impedance. Recall use to series up 4ohm speakers for matching. Back when more speakers were better (not really, just thought that). How 'bout the Pioneer Tune-up speakers (surface mount), had a set of those mounted over each door, like a set of headphones. Brought up mini-armored cable through the seat belt retractor slots by head rests of front seats. Just sleeved the speaker wires, was something like 1/4" ID. Speakers are polarized also, must match connections.

Edited by Rich B., 20 May 2013 - 03:38 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#22 smfgt11

smfgt11

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 29 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

I put mine in the box my infinities came in and now I cant find the box -lol I did spring cleaning in the garage.. I think if I remember correctly mine were 4 ohm.. I will check when I get home from work if no one else knows...

I think it may also depend on which system you have -- I have pulled some of the 8" round subs out of the doors and seen 1.2ohm on them, I just pulled a set today and they were 2 ohm ...

you might just be able to hop into you trunk and look on the bottoms of the ones in your rear deck -- I do remember in my boss they were the same speakers all the way around..

#23 GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 38 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Grabber Blue Boss 302 #3459

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

Adding to an ancient thread......

I was tired of the stock clock radio-esque stereo so I decided to upgrade. There are things about each of the actual headunit replacement options that I don't care for so I opted to keep that part of the system and ditch the rest.

Polk MM572 5x7s (x4)
Kenwood Excelon X801-5 (50x4@4ohms + 500x1@2ohms)
JL Audio Stealthbox
PAC AOEM-FRD24

WOW! The results are beyond my expectations. Clarity, volume and a full range of frequency response are music to my ears. I am sure that any shortcomings in the overall tone is due to the stock headunit but I think the tradeoffs in the available options and cost aren't worth the minor, to me, gains in performance.

The only non-100% reversible change that I made to the car was that I cut the fender well grommet to run the power wire for the amp. I only used the wiring harness portion of the PAC unit to serve as a place to splice my in/out speaker wires for the amp. No cutting of factory wires or taps were needed. 

I know that there are cheaper options than the Stealthbox for a sub but I like the fit and tone so it was worth the premium. It is very musical and tight.

The Polk door/deck speakers themselves made a modest improvement over stock but really came alive once powered by the amp. The Kenwood is a pretty compact unit considering it's output. For the inputs I spliced the factory speaker wire signal via the PAC harness to RCA cable ends to make the RCAs "high level" inputs which trigger the amp to turn on so there is no need for a separate turn on wire from some keyed source. I could have used the PAC converter but wanted to keep things as simple as I could.

That's about it. Very pleased with the results.

Edited by GrabberBlue, 12 August 2017 - 09:56 AM.

• TymeSlayer and Rich B. like this

#24 guillaume69

guillaume69

French Boss Owner

• European Region
  • 471 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:2013 GB Boss 302 and 1969 GT Sportsroof 351W

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:51 AM

Great write up, thanks!

I have been considering the Stealthbox for a while... And found a second hand one in mint condition for $250 about 15 miles away from our place.

Considering where we live, I see it as some kind of sign from Heaven. So I am in the process of finding a decent amp that will power up my doors and deck Pionner speakers as well as the Sub.

Did you take pics of your install, by any chance?

G

Edited by guillaume69, 12 August 2017 - 01:58 AM.

2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 (#789)

1969 Acapulco Blue GT Sportsroof - 351 W

#25 GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

I didn't take any pics since most of the install type stuff has been covered elsewhere. I'll take a few pics of the amp/sub but I haven't quite finished the final trimming of wires and final placement of the amp yet. I'll take care of that sometime this weekend.

Add the Kenwwod I picked up to your list of possible amps. For it's power it is about the most compact unit I could find and good deals can be found since the model is a few years old.

Edited by GrabberBlue, 12 August 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#26 guillaume69

guillaume69

French Boss Owner

• European Region
  • 471 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:2013 GB Boss 302 and 1969 GT Sportsroof 351W

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

Yep. I added the Kenwood amp as well as the PAC interface harness to my list.

I'll be looking around for pics of installs, but if you do take some, please try and post them as I am interested.

Actually, pics of the amp/PAC wiring before it's all tucked away and tidy might be pretty interesting.

Thanks!

G

Edited by guillaume69, 12 August 2017 - 03:06 PM.

2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 (#789)

1969 Acapulco Blue GT Sportsroof - 351 W

#27 GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

The PAC wiring is all tucked away but what I did is pretty simple. I kept the part of the new harness that goes between the radio and factory harness then I clipped all of the wires going to the part of the harness that plugs into the PAC module. These are the in/out speaker wires. I then extended those to the trunk area to hook up to the amp.

You could use the PAC unit as intended but I just wanted it for the harness.

Edited by GrabberBlue, 12 August 2017 - 12:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·