Custom Search

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Boss 302 Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Boss 302 Heads x Windsor Block

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Dragmotor

Mr.Dragmotor

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • My Region:South America
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Mustang
  • Interests:Ford engines

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi, I have a Tech Question to you, as follows :

- What modifications I need to do in a 302 Boss cast iron OEM cyl head to bolt it on to a 302 windsor engine block ?
- I 've heard we need to drill some holes in the deck surface water jacket of the head and in the deck surface of the windsor block as well !
- Can you help me out ?
- Any input would be so much appreciated !

Thanks,

Mr.Dragmotor
Brasil - S. America

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 gregaba

gregaba

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss
  • Interests:Cars,Shooting,Audio home theater

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi
Yes you will have to drill new water passages in the block.Fords racing catalog has a step by step instructions in their catalog.
Its easy to do but I would have a machine shop do it so it is done right.
Greg

#3 Bozz302

Bozz302

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 149 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:70 Boss 302, 12 Boss 302
  • Interests:Autocrossing

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hi
Yes you will have to drill new water passages in the block.Fords racing catalog has a step by step instructions in their catalog.
Its easy to do but I would have a machine shop do it so it is done right.
Greg

I believe the procedure you are referencing would be used to modify a true Cleveland head to a Windor block. If he has real Boss 302 heads, they wouldn't they already be modified to fit the Windsor block?
70 B2- Lime Green Metallic (sold)
70 B2- Medium Blue Metallic
96 Cobra Convertible- Laser Red (sold)
12 B2 Comp. Orange, Torsen

It's difficult to see the marks left by orange cones on an orange Boss!

Posted Image

#4 gregaba

gregaba

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hi
Pulled out some of my build notes from the eightys and this is what I had to do to make a reliable street 302 boss clone.
1-You will have to change the pistons to fit the heads. I used TRW 10.5 to 1 L2324
2-Stock Cam was .290 degrees duration with .484 lift. If you use a small block cam [non boss] the lift will be 8.125% more then useing a boss 302 cam. Be sure to figure this in when you order your cam. Clay your piston's to check for clearence.
3-Use roller rocker's,guideplates and pushrods. I use Harland Sharp rocker's 1.73 ratio [stock ratio with boss and cleveland] and Manley #25728 pushrods. These are for the big block chevy but interchange with the boss 302 engine.
4-Use 2 bbl heads from the 70 model year. These are the best stock type heads to use.
5-Keep your carb size around 600-700 CFM or you will have serious bog on the street.
Remember this will not be a Boss 302 factory engine and will not have the 4 bolt block and forged crank so keep your rev's reasonable around 6000 RPM.
If you have any more questions let me know and I will answer them if I can.
Greg

#5 Mr.Dragmotor

Mr.Dragmotor

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

Hello fellows,

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the confusion, so when I placed this Topic here in the true I was refering to this as a true Cleveland head, not a Boss 302 head as mentioned earlier !
Greg - Thank you for all info you gave me in your reply, but I'd like you let me know an estimated Torque X Horsepower can I get with this setup ?
Get back to me and let me know about.

Thank you,

Mr.Dragmotor
Engine Builder
Brasil - S. America

#6 gregaba

gregaba

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hi
I can't give you an exact HP or TQ figure's because every build is different. Cam type and lift intake, carb.ignition etc.all make a difference.
I have buildt them that dynoed from 475 HP to 980 HP with the oiling mods and the correct head's.
If you want a killer street car and occasional drag car then use the 2 BBL head's. The 4 BBL head's ports are way to big for the street as they don't even start to work untill about 4200 RPM's. However with the right mod's 9000 RPM is not uncommon.
Greg

#7 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,350 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Interests:Competition Boss 302's, Racing, Performance Updates

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hi, I have a Tech Question to you, as follows :

- What modifications I need to do in a 302 Boss cast iron OEM cyl head to bolt it on to a 302 windsor engine block ?
- I 've heard we need to drill some holes in the deck surface water jacket of the head and in the deck surface of the windsor block as well !
- Can you help me out ?
- Any input would be so much appreciated !

Thanks,

Mr.Dragmotor
Brasil - S. America

Mr. Dragmotor:

The orignial Boss 302 engine was developed by FORD in this way. The engine block was stroked to obtain 302 CID, (Cubic Inch Displacement). This was an an original K code block known as a HI PO engine, with a 4 bolt main.

Next they used Cleveland 351 engine cylinder heads. Cleveland and Windsor components were available, the big difference between the two engines were the cylinder heads. The Windsor heads used a particular kind of combustion chamber, I will have to think about the name (pent-roof?? - Can't remember, I'll get back to you on this). The Windsor head also used small valves and a large spark plug. The Cleveland 351 cylinder heads, used a Semi Hemispherical shaped combustion chamber and used larger (much larger), valves and a small spark plug. The 4 bolt main allowed the bottom end of the engine to hold together at high RPM, only the race engines spun above 8,000 RPM. The valve train is of higher quality and it has solid lifters to spin above 6,200 RPM without "valve float".

The Street Boss 302 1969 engine is the one to get as in 1970 they used smaller intake valves to improve streetability of the Boss 302 engine. (the intake valve difference is about .230 vs .219's So if you are looking to build a Boss 302 cast iron engine, then look for the above parts and forget about the 2V cylinder heads and it has small valves, small chambers and it will not flow enough volume to produce the horse power you are looking for, which I assume is 290 HP and above. Note: the original Boss 302 engines were rated at 290 HP, but it is common knoledge that 290 hp was under rated.

I hope this helps, If I come accross the tech info (valve size, cam spec's, pistons, compression ratios, etc,) again, I will post it up for you if you want it. All the best - Hi Pro
  • Rich B. likes this
2012 KB 500A Boss 302 - Production Number 2800. Special Ordered Options, Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Differential.Ford Racing Performance Parts, (FRPP), UpGrades & Modifications. | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Boss 302S Peterson CVS, FRPP TracKey, Sound Tube Delete Billet Aluminum Cap, FRPP High Flow K&N Drop In Air Filter. | Transmission - Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Competition Spec Shifter & Heat Shield, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP High Flow Stainless Clutch Fluid Line, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Magna Flow Street/Comp 3.0" Stainless Cat-Back Boss 302 X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPPP "T" Boss 302 Spec. Springs, Koni Sport (Yellows), Steeda HD Camber Plates, Kenny Brown GT4 Roll Center Relocation Kit, KB Street/Comp LCA's, KB LCA Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adj. UCA & Steeda Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 HP Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 High Temp Fluid, | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, MonoChromatic Rear View Mirror, (Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass).

#8 Mr.Dragmotor

Mr.Dragmotor

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi 302 Hi Pro, thank you for your help ! Of course my friend I'd like to get all the Tech Info you can give me to help me to build my Boss 302 cast iron killer engine !

Hi Greg, thanks for all your help, but if possible I'd like you let me know the Part # for that Ford Racing Catalog which you' ve mentioned that it has an article talking about on how to bolt Cleveland Heads on a 289 / 302 / 351 windsor engine block (Step by Step), as I did not find this Catalog in the www.amazon.com website ! Just let me know about.

Thank you guys,

Mr. Dragmotor
Engine Builder
Brasil - S. America

#9 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,350 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Interests:Competition Boss 302's, Racing, Performance Updates

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hi 302 Hi Pro, thank you for your help ! Of course my friend I'd like to get all the Tech Info you can give me to help me to build my Boss 302 cast iron killer engine !

Hi Greg, thanks for all your help, but if possible I'd like you let me know the Part # for that Ford Racing Catalog which you' ve mentioned that it has an article talking about on how to bolt Cleveland Heads on a 289 / 302 / 351 windsor engine block (Step by Step), as I did not find this Catalog in the www.amazon.com website ! Just let me know about.

Thank you guys,

Mr. Dragmotor
Engine Builder
Brasil - S. America

Mr. Dragmotor:
I have to travel this weekend and early next week, however upon my return I will visit my library and find my documentation with specifications, part numbers, part nomenclature, etc. This will take me about a week or so. Until then, - 302 Hi Pro.
2012 KB 500A Boss 302 - Production Number 2800. Special Ordered Options, Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Differential.Ford Racing Performance Parts, (FRPP), UpGrades & Modifications. | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Boss 302S Peterson CVS, FRPP TracKey, Sound Tube Delete Billet Aluminum Cap, FRPP High Flow K&N Drop In Air Filter. | Transmission - Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Competition Spec Shifter & Heat Shield, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP High Flow Stainless Clutch Fluid Line, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Magna Flow Street/Comp 3.0" Stainless Cat-Back Boss 302 X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPPP "T" Boss 302 Spec. Springs, Koni Sport (Yellows), Steeda HD Camber Plates, Kenny Brown GT4 Roll Center Relocation Kit, KB Street/Comp LCA's, KB LCA Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adj. UCA & Steeda Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 HP Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 High Temp Fluid, | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, MonoChromatic Rear View Mirror, (Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·