Custom Search

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Boss 302 Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MGW or Barton Shifter?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 docshelby

docshelby

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 102 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Mustang Boss 302 LS 662

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Had the Boss out Sunday, the OEM shifter has to go(2nd to 3rd is a crapshoot)! I'm ready, MGW or Barton, recommendations please. Also where do you order them, for best price? Thank you!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 IMZBOSS

IMZBOSS

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 83 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2013 boss 302
  • Interests:mustangs and sci-fi

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

i went through tha same issue. i went with the MGW. never heard anything bad about thiers.

• TymeSlayer likes this

#3 docshelby

docshelby

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Where to order? Are they all same price?

#4 ainterne

ainterne

Ainterne

• Great Lakes Region
  • 211 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss
  • Interests:Cars
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

I went Barton http://www.bartonind...G-PRODUCTS.html   Not sure where you will find the best price.... American M may be a good choice.

I think the general consensus is that they are both very good and not much between them.   Which ever way you go  you will see a marked improvement, and when you see the old bracket come out you will know immediately why there is a marked improvement. 

Recommendations...  might help.....  :-)

When you've established all the pros and cons, heard everyone’s input, gone over it in your mind from every possible angle, and still agonized for days or weeks without being able to come to a decision, it’s time to pull out the coin.

Make one option heads, and the other tails. Hold the coin in your hand for a minute, visualizing the two options on either side. Take a deep breath, and toss the coin into the air.

Suddenly it doesn't matter which side the coin lands on – because you know which side you’re hoping it lands on.

#5 Highpower11

Highpower11

New Boss 302 Member

• Northeast Region
  • 23 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 BOSS 302 Performance White

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

i went with the Ford Racing Shifter and two post bracket (made by Barton). Levittown Ford (sponsor here) has the best pricing on it that I've seen thus far. I placed the order last Friday at 4:30pm and in less than 30-minutes it was shipped! UPS has it scheduled for tomorrow delivery. 

#6 Boss949

Boss949

New Boss 302 Member

• Southern Plains Region
  • 333 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Mustang Boss 302

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

http://www.mgwltd.com

MGW   all the way.   My car shifts better with age.   Drag racing?  Never miss a shift (unless it's my fault).

390.00 worth the wait and price.   Contact them; or call and ask to speak to George personally.  Great product and customer service.

• TymeSlayer likes this

2013 Boss PW TracKey; Recaro's; 3.73 Torsen; Roush Extreme Axle Back Exhaust; MGW Shifter; Cooltech Sound Tube Delete; Redline Hood Struts;Jegs Performance Cat Deletes; Airaid CAi, AED Tune (Performance, Drag, Lopey Idle); Griggs Racing Torque Arm Kit, CHE K Member V8 Engine Torque Limiters Competition; Hotchkis Sport Springs, Hotchkis LCA's, Whitleline Relocation Brackets; Whiteline Transmission Bushing,MT Street Radial ETII 305/35/19 (for summer)JLT Oil Separator,JPC Racing Line Lock, JPC Clutch Line.  Kooks LT 1 3/4, O/R X pipe, Resonator delete;  Forgestar CF5 19X10 Front +38, 19X11 Rear +53; Michelin Pilot Super Sports  295/30ZR/19 F, 325/30ZR/19 R.

Image5_zps6a36ec19.jpg

#7 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 1,599 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 - 2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier
  • Interests:Baseball,Golf, Mustangs, Physiognomy and Woodworking
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Also a fan and MGW convert. And it's absolutely true what they say about the more you drive it, the better it shifts. I also did the install myself and it wasn't that difficult. 

One thing I think we all agree upon is that the factory shifter has to go.

• IMZBOSS likes this

2012Boss302678_zpsae7b9270.jpg

2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 - #2900

Ordered: 3/23/2011 - Build Date: 12/5/2011 - Delivered 12/21/2011

TracKey - JLT Oil Separator -Moroso Coolant Overflow Tank - MGW Shifter/Heat Shield -  FRPP Clutch Line Upgrade - Shelby Transmission Cooling Scoop                            

Driveshaft Shop 3-1/2 1 Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Whiteline Gearbox Insert Bushing - BMR Front Driveshaft Safety Loop

BMR LCAs & Adjustable Relo Brackets - BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar - FRPP Lowering T-Springs  - FRPP Rear Pedestal Spoiler  

Koni Sport Yellows Struts and Shocks - Maximum Motorsport Caster Camber Plates - Center Jacking Plates

Airaid CAI With Parnelli Jones Carbon Fiber Inlet Tub &  Modular Venturi Tube - FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body - Borla ATAK Axlebacks

Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Forgestar CF5V 19x9 and 19x10 - DBA T3 / 4000 Series Rotors 

FRPP Front Brake Cooling Duct Kit - Hawk HP Ceramic Pads - Goodridge SS Brake Lines - Thermo-Tec Battery Heat Barrier Kit

Roush 7 Billet Grille - Blowfish Racing Lower Front Grille and Tow Hook - Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket

#8 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,235 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Interests:Competition Boss 302's, Racing, Performance Updates

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

I went with the MGW, and like it the best. It is a complete shifter replacement and I like the heat shield that I did not see offered with the Barton/Ford shifter. Don't misunderstand, Barton is good too, you just get more with the MGW. OBTW, the MGW 2-3 shift? Well you can just jam the shifter in the general direction of the dash and never miss third gear. Never. Good luck 2HP
  • TymeSlayer and IMZBOSS like this
20140810_163952_zpsksksih1y.jpg

2012 KB 500A Boss 302 - Production Number 2800. Special Ordered Options, Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Differential.Ford Racing Performance Parts, (FRPP), UpGrades & Modifications. | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Boss 302S Peterson CVS, FRPP TracKey, Sound Tube Delete Billet Aluminum Cap, FRPP High Flow K&N Drop In Air Filter. | Transmission - Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Competition Spec Shifter & Heat Shield, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP High Flow Stainless Clutch Fluid Line, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Magna Flow Street/Comp 3.0" Stainless Cat-Back Boss 302 X-Pipe System, Open Boss Side Pipes & Lowered Tips. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Boss 302 Spec. Springs, Koni Sport (Yellows), Steeda HD Camber Plates, Kenny Brown GT4 Roll Center Relocation Kit, KB Street/Comp LCA's, KB LCA Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adj. UCA & Steeda Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 HP Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 High Temp Fluid, | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, MonoChromatic Rear View Mirror, (Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass).

#9 BossinKnox

BossinKnox

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • My Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302 Performance White

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

I also went with the MGW. It was easy to put in. I had the Ipad in the garage for the instruction video. If you read some of the negative comments about it (mostly noise), I don't think it applies to the Boss. A key experience to driving the Boss is the exhaust note.

I can't speak for the Barton, but changing from the factory is a must. Good luck and let us know.

BK

#10 docshelby

docshelby

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Spoke to George today, put the order in. Any tips on getting the OEM ball off? I'd like the Stock look, but would like to see what his Boss 302 knob looks like. Anyone have pics of one? Thanks all! Really appreciate the help!

#11 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 2,235 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Interests:Competition Boss 302's, Racing, Performance Updates

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Spoke to George today, put the order in. Any tips on getting the OEM ball off? I'd like the Stock look, but would like to see what his Boss 302 knob looks like. Anyone have pics of one? Thanks all! Really appreciate the help!

Use a small nylon or leather strap wrench. I used my leather belt and my pipe wrench, buy get the strap wrench. After you watch the install video, it's like you have done the job before.

Hi Pro

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 02 July 2013 - 10:44 PM.

20140810_163952_zpsksksih1y.jpg

2012 KB 500A Boss 302 - Production Number 2800. Special Ordered Options, Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Differential.Ford Racing Performance Parts, (FRPP), UpGrades & Modifications. | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Boss 302S Peterson CVS, FRPP TracKey, Sound Tube Delete Billet Aluminum Cap, FRPP High Flow K&N Drop In Air Filter. | Transmission - Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Competition Spec Shifter & Heat Shield, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP High Flow Stainless Clutch Fluid Line, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Magna Flow Street/Comp 3.0" Stainless Cat-Back Boss 302 X-Pipe System, Open Boss Side Pipes & Lowered Tips. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Boss 302 Spec. Springs, Koni Sport (Yellows), Steeda HD Camber Plates, Kenny Brown GT4 Roll Center Relocation Kit, KB Street/Comp LCA's, KB LCA Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adj. UCA & Steeda Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 HP Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 High Temp Fluid, | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, MonoChromatic Rear View Mirror, (Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass).

#12 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 1,599 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 - 2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Ask and you shall receive!

I am actually toying with the idea of putting the stock knob back on as the blue is not enough Kona for me. But then again...

You need to make sure you get that black shaft adapter should you go with the Speed Dawg Boss 302 knob. 

Attached Files

TracKey - JLT Oil Separator -Moroso Coolant Overflow Tank - MGW Shifter/Heat Shield -  FRPP Clutch Line Upgrade - Shelby Transmission Cooling Scoop                            

Driveshaft Shop 3-1/2 1 Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Whiteline Gearbox Insert Bushing - BMR Front Driveshaft Safety Loop

BMR LCAs & Adjustable Relo Brackets - BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar - FRPP Lowering T-Springs  - FRPP Rear Pedestal Spoiler  

Koni Sport Yellows Struts and Shocks - Maximum Motorsport Caster Camber Plates - Center Jacking Plates

Airaid CAI With Parnelli Jones Carbon Fiber Inlet Tub &  Modular Venturi Tube - FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body - Borla ATAK Axlebacks

Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Forgestar CF5V 19x9 and 19x10 - DBA T3 / 4000 Series Rotors 

FRPP Front Brake Cooling Duct Kit - Hawk HP Ceramic Pads - Goodridge SS Brake Lines - Thermo-Tec Battery Heat Barrier Kit

Roush 7 Billet Grille - Blowfish Racing Lower Front Grille and Tow Hook - Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket

#13 docshelby

docshelby

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Yes, looks more like Grabber Blue!

#14 docshelby

docshelby

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Belt/pipe wrench, worked like a charm! Thank you, 02HP!

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#15 schoolboss

schoolboss

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 96 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302- School Bus Yellow

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Just did MGW, and love it.  Did have a bit of an odd situation with the stock shifter ball though....had the factory blue loctite, as I was prepared for.  What I wasn't prepared for was for the threaded insert to actually strip and spin on the ball.  Just broke loose enough to allow the ball to spin without actually unthreading....so wound up drilling it out.

The shifter is a dream though.  The MT82 is still the sore spot for me, but this shifter makes me forget most of the time. 

To 302HP's point, you really can just shove the shifter towards the dash and it will go into 3rd.   Great product.

• TymeSlayer likes this

2013 Boss 302  #0235- School Bus Yellow- Recaro Sport Seats, 3.73:1 Torsen Rear Differential

Performance Modifications: Cobra Jet Intake Manifold, Twin 65mm Throttle Body, JLT CAI, American Racing Longtube Headers and quad exhaust offroad midpipe, GT500 quad tip axle backs, FRPP T-springs, AE 4" Aluminum Driveshaft, CHE K-member torque brace, CHE driveshaft safety loop, MGW shifter, Boss 302s wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires, billet motor mounts, tuned by Jon Lund II\

More to come.....

#16 bossy13

bossy13

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 987 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302, Race Red
  • Interests:Water skiing, Guitar playing, Fast car driving

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

Just got my MGW shifter in.

What a nice piece of work! I'm anxious to get it in the Boss.

But first...

I have installed after market shifters before (but not MGW) and they can transmit some tranny / drive train noise.

For those of you that have installed a MGW, have you done any extra Dynamating to deal with NVH? (beyond what is specified in the instructions)

Or is it necessary with the MGW?

Appreciate your input.

764a5e2d-622a-49fe-b399-c44a6aa0dc47_zps

Original: 2013 Race Red with TracKey, Recaro seats and Torsen diff.

Performance Mods: JLT Oil Separator, MGW Shifter, Airaid PJ Carbon Fiber Intake, GT500 Mufflers (painted black), QTEC302 Electric Side-pipe Cutouts, FRPP 84.5 MM TB, FRPP SS Clutch Line, FRPP Brake Cooling Kit, GT500 13.8" Rear Brake Upgrade, Vorshlag SS Brake Lines, AE 4" Aluminum DS with BMR safety loop, Shelby transmission scoop.

Suspension Mods: Steeda Boss Lowering Springs, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Koni Yellow Dampers, Whiteline Panhard Bar with Brace, Whiteline LCAs with Relo Brackets.

Appereance Mods: Sound Tube Delete, Race Red Bumper Plugs, CDC Illuminated 'Boss 302' Sill Plates, RedLine Hood Struts, Blacked-out Hood Vents, MRT Aluminum Rear Louvers, SHR Flush Quarter Louvers (matte black), SHR Custom Fuel Door (matte black with RR '302' lettering), Moroso Coolant Reservoir. Moroso Battery & Brake Fluid Covers.

Track Setup: Forgestar CF5 19x10" wheels (square configuration), Hoosier R6 295/35-19 R-compound tires.

Planned Mods: LS Rear Seat Delete & Cross Brace, CoolTech Roll Bar & Harnesses, CoolTech Tow Hooks, Kooks 1-7/8" shorty headers, MRT H-pipe, Lethal Gen2 Over-Axle Pipes, 500+ BHP (one way or another).

#17 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 1,599 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

I installed the MGW shifter myself and followed the installation video to a tee and no issues with NVH. Used the mating they sent with the kit.

#18 bossy13

bossy13

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 987 posts
  • My Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302, Race Red
  • Interests:Water skiing, Guitar playing, Fast car driving

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

Just got my new MGW shifter installed in the boss.

So NICE!

That 2-to-3 shift is extra special :shift:

764a5e2d-622a-49fe-b399-c44a6aa0dc47_zps

Original: 2013 Race Red with TracKey, Recaro seats and Torsen diff.

Performance Mods: JLT Oil Separator, MGW Shifter, Airaid PJ Carbon Fiber Intake, GT500 Mufflers (painted black), QTEC302 Electric Side-pipe Cutouts, FRPP 84.5 MM TB, FRPP SS Clutch Line, FRPP Brake Cooling Kit, GT500 13.8" Rear Brake Upgrade, Vorshlag SS Brake Lines, AE 4" Aluminum DS with BMR safety loop, Shelby transmission scoop.

Suspension Mods: Steeda Boss Lowering Springs, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Koni Yellow Dampers, Whiteline Panhard Bar with Brace, Whiteline LCAs with Relo Brackets.

Appereance Mods: Sound Tube Delete, Race Red Bumper Plugs, CDC Illuminated 'Boss 302' Sill Plates, RedLine Hood Struts, Blacked-out Hood Vents, MRT Aluminum Rear Louvers, SHR Flush Quarter Louvers (matte black), SHR Custom Fuel Door (matte black with RR '302' lettering), Moroso Coolant Reservoir. Moroso Battery & Brake Fluid Covers.

Track Setup: Forgestar CF5 19x10" wheels (square configuration), Hoosier R6 295/35-19 R-compound tires.

Planned Mods: LS Rear Seat Delete & Cross Brace, CoolTech Roll Bar & Harnesses, CoolTech Tow Hooks, Kooks 1-7/8" shorty headers, MRT H-pipe, Lethal Gen2 Over-Axle Pipes, 500+ BHP (one way or another).

#19 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 1,599 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

Just got my new MGW shifter installed in the boss.

So NICE!

That 2-to-3 shift is extra special :shift:

It only gets better.

#20 JaxBoss

JaxBoss

New Boss 302 Member

• Southeast Region
  • 5 posts
  • My Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302
  • Interests:Tennis and cars
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Thought I'd put a link out to a great shift knob company, Epco, if you like the cue ball style shifter.  Just let them know you have an MGW and there's something they customize on the ball to better fit the shifter.   And I agree with all the posts made, just had mine installed and what a difference!  I've been so impressed with my Boss, however the whole shifting experience has been miserable until now.  Shame on Ford for providing such a poor OE shifter!  Now that I've used my MGW, it further highlighted how bad the OE shifter was!  No more slipping into reverse by accident, and no more blown 2-3 shifts!

http://www.epcomfg.com/ShiftKnobs.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users