Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MGW MT-82 Race Spec Shifter - Gen III

MGWs Revised MT-82 Shifter

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#161 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 888 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
  • Boss 302's Year:Decline
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

Not certain the paint on the differential cover will pass heat as well as a bare metal cover. Ford claims the finned aluminum cover helps cool the differential oil.

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#162 Gravedigger

Gravedigger

New Boss 302 Member

• European Region
  • 81 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 Laguna Seca
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:52 AM

Yes you are right, but i think it will not make a Problem or causing a Overheating for the Oil

#163 fking1

fking1

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 175 posts
  • Current Vehicle:13 Boss 302

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

I found on my 13 the diff cover had no drain or fill holes.

Replaced with a Ford Racing cover so I can now change fluid.

#164 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 888 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:58 PM

Yes you are right, but i think it will not make a Problem or causing a Overheating for the Oil

If you plan on taking the car to the ring, and why not??  Rear oil overheat with Stock Boss systems can be expected.  Remove some of the cooling potential and expect oil to push out the breather.  Mine did.  

Simple fix for this is to add a breather can.  A flexible line from the current breather location to a small can located above the axel fixes the problem.  When the oil is pushed out of the breather, it collects in the can and drains back once you stop and the system and oil cools.  Place the breather valve on the output side of the breather can and the system is complete. 

Shelby and a few other companies offer a kit.  

Edited by TMSBOSS, 24 August 2016 - 09:00 PM.

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#165 Gravedigger

Gravedigger

New Boss 302 Member

• European Region
  • 81 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 Laguna Seca

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:27 AM

Attached File  002.jpg   41.24KB   0 downloads

I have a Turkey Baster on. Do you think that would be enough? (Picture is not from me)

#166 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,820 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 - 2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

Here's what I'm using with my FRPP finned racing cover. Does the trick. 

Allstar%20Performance%20Diff%20Breather%

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket/Fire Extinguisher Mount/Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black and F14 Gunmetal (Track Wheels) – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Boss 302 Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

#167 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 888 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:22 AM

attachicon.gif002.jpg

I have a Turkey Baster on. Do you think that would be enough? (Picture is not from me)

Most Track Rats I have heard from first used the turkey baster and then moved to the can after the baster failed.  I skipped the baster.  

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#168 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,256 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:43 AM

Here's what I'm using with my FRPP finned racing cover. Does the trick. 

Allstar%20Performance%20Diff%20Breather%

TS:

If you have mounted this breather can in a vertical position with the expansion tube located on the side as pictured, I don't see how the oil, (from heat expansion), can return to the differential housing once cooled.

The expansion tube should mount to the bottom of the breather can to allow gravity return of the oil.

How is this mounted to your Boss in the configuration pictured above?

Just thinking out loud here, but want to make sure your setup is not trapping differential oil.

2HP

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#169 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 888 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

Here is a link to the Bobs diff can.

Simple concept. As fluid heats up and is pushed out the breather, the oil collects on the can which is mounted above the differential. As it cools, the fluid drains back.

http://shop.bobsauto...e-reservoir.htm

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#170 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,820 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 - 2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

TS:

If you have mounted this breather can in a vertical position with the expansion tube located on the side as pictured, I don't see how the oil, (from heat expansion), can return to the differential housing once cooled.

The expansion tube should mount to the bottom of the breather can to allow gravity return of the oil.

How is this mounted to your Boss in the configuration pictured above?

Just thinking out loud here, but want to make sure your setup is not trapping differential oil.

2HP

It is mounted upright and the hose connected to the bottom , not to the side as pictured. That was the photo I got from the gent who sold the kit to me. 

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket/Fire Extinguisher Mount/Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black and F14 Gunmetal (Track Wheels) – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Boss 302 Engraved Front Splitter

#171 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,256 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:32 AM

TS:

I was thinking about you BBRM, I saw the pic and had to mention that.

Sure makes one wonder how in the heck did the Seller have it mounted?

302 HI Pro

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#172 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,820 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:51 AM

Dave,

I think he must have pulled it off and took off the hose to clean it up for sale and then inadvertently put the hose on the side. 

Kirk

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#173 guillaume69

guillaume69

French Boss Owner

• European Region
  • 383 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 GB Boss 302 and 1969 GT Sportsroof 351W
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:13 AM

Good morning Boss brothers!

Today is an important day for my Boss 302 and I, as I finally decided to go on and order the MGW shifter. Watching their install video made me mod hungry as hell... What a wonderful piece of technology, that thing. And I believe I'll be able to do the install myself, which makes the whole deal even more exciting!

Before I pull the trigger though, I need to ask a question: as this shifter has matured a lot since we started talking about it on this forum, MGW now offers 4 different options for the Boss, all priced the same:
- Race Spec
- X Spec
Both with standard or short handle.

I read their website carefully and am inclined to choose the X Spec with the standard handle. No Track days, no Racing here, just street delights.

Could you guys give me your impressions on these 4 options? Is Race Spec w/ short handle comparable to X Spec w/ std handle, for example? Is the difference between Race and X Specs significant?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

G

2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 (#789)

1969 Acapulco Blue GT Sportsroof - 351 W

#174 Tnelson184

Tnelson184

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 55 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Boss 302

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

I only have experience with the race spec but I love it.

One thing that I'll say on the install, remember to put the dynomat on the shifter and mounts before mounting it in the car. I forgot this step and ended up pulling it back down to stick on the dynomat.

#175 guillaume69

guillaume69

French Boss Owner

• European Region
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Yep, the video made that pretty clear, except for the square part that goes underneath that he put after the install.

I'll try not to forget. Thanks!

Edited by guillaume69, 03 March 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#176 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,820 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

I had the GEN I MGW installed first and then did the swap out MGW offered when they came out with the Race Spec version. At that tyme, MGW did not offer the short stick version. One thing to keep in mind is how a shorter version may affect your shifter boot. 

#177 guillaume69

guillaume69

French Boss Owner

• European Region
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

TS,

You mean short vs standard handle?

#178 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,820 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

Yes, I thought he was asking about the handle and not the throw. I 'm not sure how much shorter the handle is in the low profile handle but it seems to me the boot will be squashed down and the mounting of the knob could be affected. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·