Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Exhaust Makeover

headers exhaust h-pipe over-axle pipes axle backs side pipes

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 bossy13

bossy13

Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,425 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302, Race Red
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:56 AM

One of my (big) projects this winter mod season is to give the Boss a complete exhaust system makeover.

New parts include:

- Kooks 1-7/8" Super Sport shorty headers with Airborn (1700 degree) ceramic coating

- Kooks Gen-II side pipes

- MRT H-pipe

- Borla over-axle pipes

- GT500 quad-tip mufflers

Since I live in the smog-police state of CA I plan on keeping the factory cats.

I also have a set of QTP electric cutouts that I will be reusing in the new setup.

I have all the factory parts removed from the car and all the new parts have all arrived.

Thought I would post a picture expose' comparing the factory parts to the new.

My objective for this upgrade is to increase flow on the output side of our awesome 302 power plant.

Here is a pic of factory exhaust. Notice the numerous 'pinch' points.

IMG_20150118_171649_779_zpsdrptasua.jpg

The diameter coming out of the factory cats is 2-3/4"

The new parts maintain a minimum 2-3/4" diameter all the way to the rear mufflers.

(side pipes are slightly smaller - about 2")

Here are a couple pics of the Kooks headers compared to stock.

IMG_20150124_105027_379_zps1lmkzdqm.jpg

IMG_20150124_105244_357_zps3wiysu79.jpg

Factory H-pipe vs. new MRT part.

IMG_20150124_095357_340_zpsqzhw5c0t.jpg

Here are a couple pics of the factory side pipes compared to the new Kooks pipes.

IMG_20150124_105557_777_zpsll5wz4ng.jpg

IMG_20150124_105849_927_zps132sic64.jpg

Factory over-axle pipe compared to new Borla pipe.

IMG_20150124_101639_911_zpsjmiuqm0f.jpg

BTW - Ever wonder what the inside of those factory resonators looks like ?

6b431082-dcb0-45d0-acf8-2dd64c836d71_zps

Previously I had the GT500 single-tip mufflers.

The new mufflers are the dual-tip (quad) version.

I paint the mufflers black to help hide the big cans.

IMG_20150124_110345_771_zps12y2euwx.jpg

Install of the new exhaust parts is underway.

The headers are a real challenge.

I plan on starting a new topic to discuss the (numerous) steps for installing headers.

The rest of the exhaust system is a fairly easy upgrade by comparison.

Once done I'll post a couple more pics of the final results.

- b13 out...

Edited by bossy13, 30 January 2015 - 03:01 AM.

• TymeSlayer, 302 Hi Pro, Rich B. and 3 others like this

Original: 2013 Race Red with TracKey, Recaro Seats, Torsen Diff, and Owners Kit.

Performance Mods: JLT Oil Separator, MGW Shifter, FRPP 84.5 MM TB, Airaid PJ Carbon Fiber Intake, Kooks 1-7/8" Shorty Headers (ceramic coated), Kooks Gen-II Side Pipes, MRT H-pipe, Borla Over-Axle Pipes, GT500 Quad Mufflers (painted black) with Valence, QTEC302 Electric Side-pipe Cutouts,  FRPP SS Clutch Line, FRPP Brake Cooling Kit, GT500 13.8" Rear Brake Upgrade, Vorshlag SS Brake Lines, AE 4" Aluminum DS with BMR safety loop, Shelby transmission scoop.

Suspension Mods: Steeda Boss Lowering Springs, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Koni Yellow Dampers, Whiteline Panhard Bar with Brace, Whiteline LCAs with Relo Brackets.

Appearance Mods: Sound Tube Delete, Race Red Bumper Plugs, CDC Illuminated 'Boss 302' Sill Plates, RedLine Hood Struts, Blacked-out Hood Vents, MRT Aluminum Rear Louvers, SHR Flush Quarter Louvers (matte black), SHR Custom Fuel Door (matte black with RR '302' lettering), Moroso Coolant Reservoir. Moroso Battery & Brake Fluid Covers, CJPony Boss302 Rally Shift Knob.

Track & Safety Mods: Forgestar CF5 19x10" wheels (square configuration), Hoosier R6 295/35-19 R-compound tires, SRP Racing Pedals, LS Rear Seat Delete and Cross Brace (race red), CoolTech Roll Bar (race red) and Crow Harnesses (with Boss 302 emblem).

Planned Mods: Whiteline UCA, CoolTech Tow Hooks, Peterson Breather Can, McCloud RST Clutch, Maybe a set of Sweet BSS Wheels, 500+ BHP (one way or another).

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,949 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 - 2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

Let the bloody knuckles and inevitable cussing begin...

It looks like our systems will be identical except for the header coating color and the tips. Looking forward to see your write up as I found out yesterday that my Kooks are heading to the coaters today. I think I'm still a few weeks out before I see them. 

By the way - still seeking a solution so that I can use the Stage 8 bolts on the headers. 

Edited by TymeSlayer, 30 January 2015 - 11:35 AM.

• 302 Hi Pro and bossy13 like this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

#3 patrock73

patrock73

New Boss 302 Member

• European Region
  • 103 posts
  • Region:Other
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 2013

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:44 AM

Let us know how it sounds- must be great👍👍👍👍

#4 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

B13:

So looking forward to reading your install post. I saw a pic of the installed header on the engine and it looks awesome. Also looking forward to your review of the new system. Both your impressions of sound quality, performance and the performance of your AirBorn 1,700 degree Ceramic Coating.

To my limited knowledge, you will be the first to review a ceramic coating performance. Regardless of the ceramic coating performance, your headers are sure to look good for years to come.

Good luck with your install,
Enjoy,
302 HP
  • bossy13 likes this

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#5 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

Let the bloody knuckles and inevitable cussing begin...

It looks like our systems will be identical except for the header coating color and the tips. Looking forward to see you write up as I found out yesterday that my Kooks are heading to the coaters today. I think I'm still a few weeks out before I see them. 

By the way - still seeking a solution so that I can use the Stage 8 bolts on the headers.

TS:

Don't tell me, let me guess, you went with "Black" header coating! Also very interested in your Stage 8 fastener solution.
Good luck with your project too.

302 HP

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#6 Ralphyboy93

Ralphyboy93

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 7 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

Sigh...California and our smog laws :/
Quick question guys...is the ceramic coating worth it? I'll be purchasing kooks headers as well. Would it be worth getting CC if I plan on tracking/HPDE about 2 times a month. Weather is hot over here during summer btw.

#7 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,949 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 - 2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

TS:

Don't tell me, let me guess, you went with "Black" header coating! Also very interested in your Stage 8 fastener solution.
Good luck with your project too.

302 HP

Good guess on the Black Coating. 

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

#8 bossy13

bossy13

Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:15 AM

Sigh...California and our smog laws :/
Quick question guys...is the ceramic coating worth it? I'll be purchasing kooks headers as well. Would it be worth getting CC if I plan on tracking/HPDE about 2 times a month. Weather is hot over here during summer btw.

I also occasionally track my car in the hot CA sun.

Heat management is the primary reason I decided to CC the headers.

Plus they look great and should last longer.

We'll have to see if it makes any noticeable difference WRT under-hood heat.

- b13

Original: 2013 Race Red with TracKey, Recaro Seats, Torsen Diff, and Owners Kit.

Performance Mods: JLT Oil Separator, MGW Shifter, FRPP 84.5 MM TB, Airaid PJ Carbon Fiber Intake, Kooks 1-7/8" Shorty Headers (ceramic coated), Kooks Gen-II Side Pipes, MRT H-pipe, Borla Over-Axle Pipes, GT500 Quad Mufflers (painted black) with Valence, QTEC302 Electric Side-pipe Cutouts,  FRPP SS Clutch Line, FRPP Brake Cooling Kit, GT500 13.8" Rear Brake Upgrade, Vorshlag SS Brake Lines, AE 4" Aluminum DS with BMR safety loop, Shelby transmission scoop.

Suspension Mods: Steeda Boss Lowering Springs, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Koni Yellow Dampers, Whiteline Panhard Bar with Brace, Whiteline LCAs with Relo Brackets.

Appearance Mods: Sound Tube Delete, Race Red Bumper Plugs, CDC Illuminated 'Boss 302' Sill Plates, RedLine Hood Struts, Blacked-out Hood Vents, MRT Aluminum Rear Louvers, SHR Flush Quarter Louvers (matte black), SHR Custom Fuel Door (matte black with RR '302' lettering), Moroso Coolant Reservoir. Moroso Battery & Brake Fluid Covers, CJPony Boss302 Rally Shift Knob.

Track & Safety Mods: Forgestar CF5 19x10" wheels (square configuration), Hoosier R6 295/35-19 R-compound tires, SRP Racing Pedals, LS Rear Seat Delete and Cross Brace (race red), CoolTech Roll Bar (race red) and Crow Harnesses (with Boss 302 emblem).

Planned Mods: Whiteline UCA, CoolTech Tow Hooks, Peterson Breather Can, McCloud RST Clutch, Maybe a set of Sweet BSS Wheels, 500+ BHP (one way or another).

#9 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:40 PM

Oh Don, I'll bet there is a big, really big smile on your face. Rumor has it that Bossy is back on the ground! We need a sound clip when you get a moment to recover from hearing the new Beast you just unleashed in the garage.

Hope all is well,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

#10 bossy13

bossy13

Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:02 AM

Yes it's true Dave.

After a prolonged period of sitting on jack stands, lil' miss Bossy finally has all four back on the ground.

And boy does she have an attitude.

I was only able to do a short test drive, but I can say the change in sound is huge.

Very aggressive and - yes - loud when you get on it.

I'm really glad I have the QTPs which allow me to dial in just the right mix of those big Kooks side pipes.

When the lopey idle kicked in it startled me.

With the cutouts wide open the sound is incredible - the side pipes and GT500 quads each adding their own distinctive/pulsating rumble.

Sexta-phonic baby. Sweet !

One thing's for sure, subtlety has been thrown out the window.

I need more drive time...

- Don

Edited by bossy13, 02 February 2015 - 01:07 AM.

• TymeSlayer, 302 Hi Pro, buland and 2 others like this

#11 65sohc

65sohc

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 776 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2016 GT350
  • Boss 302's Year:Decline

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:46 PM

Do you know what your HP was before the exhaust mods?

2103 Race Red,  BMR springs, LCA's and relo brackets, Dynotech aluminum DS

#12 bossy13

bossy13

Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:18 AM

Do you know what your HP was before the exhaust mods?

Last Dyno run (before exhaust mods) was about 415 at the rear wheels.

I finally had the chance to take the Boss out for another test drive tonight.

This time I used the silver key.

Boy does it sound sweet - REALLY sweet !

Quite loud (in a good way) when you get on it.

I really use the QTP cutouts a lot with this new setup.

With the red key the volume and intensity kicks up a couple notches.

Lopey idle is deep and rumbly  - just the way I like it.

I have not had the chance to do a red key WOT - but I know it will be insane.

This setup is going to be a blast on the track.

Installing my new CoolTech roll bar now.

- b13

Edited by bossy13, 17 February 2015 - 12:20 AM.

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#13 guillaume69

guillaume69

French Boss Owner

• European Region
  • 449 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:2013 GB Boss 302 and 1969 GT Sportsroof 351W

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hey B13, that's is one sweet set-up right there!

As I am highly interested in the QTPs, let me ask you the following: once these are installed can they be "unplugged" from underneath? i.e. can you disconnect the wiring at the QTP under the car, and remove your pipes without having to go back under your console or wherever you routed your wires?

Additionally, I remember reading about the kook side pipes hanging a little lower than the stock ones. Can you confirm by how much?

Thanks a lot for your answers!

G

Edited by guillaume69, 20 February 2015 - 07:41 AM.

2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 (#789)

1969 Acapulco Blue GT Sportsroof - 351 W

#14 bossy13

bossy13

Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:30 PM

Hi G69,
Yes, there is a twist-on electrical connector near each cutout, so they are quite easy to disconnect and remove.

The Kooks side pipes are larger and hang quite a bit lower than the stock pipes.
In fact, I've already scraped the pipes a couple of times, so the lack of clearance is definitely a down side.
My car has the Steeda springs so it does ride lower than stock, but not radically so.

Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea of the (reduced) clearance with the new side pipes.

IMG_20150201_142219_660_zpsfcdrl0gt.jpg

IMG_20150201_141925_298_zps84v4nqv7.jpg

BTW... I noticed after a couple test drives with the new setup that one of the cutouts was not opening - it was binding on the H-pipe or side-pipe flange.
With the MRT-H and Kooks side-pipes you have to take extra care to ensure the cutout is properly centered.
I crawled back under the car and got the cutouts realigned and centered so both sides open fully without obstruction.

Man, what a difference that made. The car was already pretty loud with just the one cutout working.
I'm really digging the lopey idle with the sides fully open - even deeper and more rumbley than before.
Hit the gas and the car is transformed into a screaming track machine.
With the cutouts mostly or completely closed, the exhaust still sounds great pushing through those GT500 muffs.

The more I drive - the more I like.
Take care,
 - b13

Edited by bossy13, 21 February 2015 - 09:52 PM.

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#15 guillaume69

guillaume69

French Boss Owner

• European Region
  • 449 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:2013 GB Boss 302 and 1969 GT Sportsroof 351W

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:22 PM

Thanks B13. Those side pipes look really racy. They probably deserve some type of integration into the rocker "à la Cervini", if you know what I mean. That would probably solve some clearance issues.

G

2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 (#789)

1969 Acapulco Blue GT Sportsroof - 351 W

#16 bossy13

bossy13

Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:27 PM

Finally finished the exhaust makeover.

Overall I'm am quite pleased with the outcome.

With the sidepipes open this car is very loud with an aggressive NASCAR sound.

Lopey idle is fantastic.

Here a video of car in lopey mode.

For full effect - crank it up !

Sorry for the poor audio/video quality - done on my stupid Smart phone.

Will try to get a better video later with the Boss on the road running through gears.

http://youtu.be/WV9916jHreY

Boss-On Ya All,

- b13

Edited by bossy13, 15 March 2015 - 03:43 PM.

#17 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

B13:

When you come around to the Kooks side pipe, I can hear the difference in yours with the headers and mine without. It's hard to explain, but yours has a fuller, and slightly deeper sound.

Very nice, can't wait till I get the time to work on mine.

Let us know how she runs on WOT 7k plus runs.

Enjoy,
Dave
2HP

#18 bossy13

bossy13

Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:28 AM

B13:

When you come around to the Kooks side pipe, I can hear the difference in yours with the headers and mine without. It's hard to explain, but yours has a fuller, and slightly deeper sound.

Very nice, can't wait till I get the time to work on mine.

Let us know how she runs on WOT 7k plus runs.

Enjoy,
Dave
2HP

Hey Dave,

The deeper sound may also be in part due to the larger H-pipe I am now using.

I think you are using an X-pipe if I recall ?

BTW...

Decided to try blacking out the side pipes per LSECO's suggestion.

I used peel-off-able Plasti Dip paint as this is intended to be temporary to see if I like the look.

IMG_20150314_164725_904_zpssuqcohml.jpg

Here is a picture with the pipes on ther car.

Not the best shot with my cheap-o phone camera, but you get the idea.

It actually looks a lot better in person.

IMG_20150314_185529_966_zpswawy7mw1.jpg

I must say I do like the look - goes good with my back-on-red theme.

For a permanent solution I would probably go with something like a black chrome finish.

Just concerned with how it would hold up. Those low-hanging pipes do take a beating.

- b13

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#19 TimBoss351

TimBoss351

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 434 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:14 AM

I wanted some Borla axle backs, but now must revise to thinking about doing it all from the heads back. What about the cats, the O2 sensors? Will this setup cause issues there?  Love LOVE the look of the Kooks side pipes, and want a deeper rumble. Still would probably go with the Borla at the tail end.

#20 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,949 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

Have the Borla ATAKS and O/A pipes and like how they sound. It's a solid choice.

Don - like what you did with the Kooks sidepipe tips. Plasti-Dip may be the right choice as they can easily be touched upped or  repainted if they get scrapped up. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headers, exhaust, h-pipe, over-axle pipes, axle backs, side pipes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·