Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oil Pressure Gauge install

Best Answer TMSBOSS , 25 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

I bought the pod empty and added Autometer Elite series gauges.  The Elite series have a system where you can program warning lights.  Example, oil temp goes over 280 and the gauge is illuminated with a red light.  Colors and parameters are programmable.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 fking1

fking1

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 230 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:13 Boss 302

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:42 PM

Has anyone installed a Ford Racing oil pressure gauge?

Made by Autometer.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

I haven't yet, but will do so in the next month or so.

Where will you mount the OP gauge?

302 Hi Pro

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#3 fking1

fking1

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

Have seen pics of it installed in the A/C vent, but, I am not keen on that.

Will try to find a spot on the lower dash and will wait till I get it to locate.

Delivery on Jan. 29. 

#4 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 958 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:54 AM

I went with the Autometer gauges in the LS gauge pod.  Also installed oil and water temp.  Not reversible since you have to cut the dash pad.  Looks factory since the pod is from Ford. 

I have seen a few of the pillar mount gauge installs.  Gauges look right on the pillar. 

• fking1 likes this

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#5 fking1

fking1

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:09 AM

Did you buy the pod with the gauges in it (Ford Racing type)  or get them separately and put them in?

What about the connections ? The Ford kit comes with them.

Don't think the one I am getting would look good on the pillar.

#6 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 958 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:07 AM   Best Answer

I bought the pod empty and added Autometer Elite series gauges.  The Elite series have a system where you can program warning lights.  Example, oil temp goes over 280 and the gauge is illuminated with a red light.  Colors and parameters are programmable.

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#7 boss742

boss742

Boss-Tang#742

• Canadian Region
  • 111 posts
  • Region:Canada, Western
  • Current Vehicle:2012 boss

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:54 PM

Adding the pressure gauge is one thing left on my to do list.If anyone can forward the procedure with pics would be great.

#8 fking1

fking1

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:49 AM

On the Autometer web-site search for the Ford Racing gauges and on the oil pressure gauge pic there is a manual selection that has installation instructions and a drawing.

#9 boss742

boss742

Boss-Tang#742

• Canadian Region
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:52 PM

Found a great Autometer triple gauge install on a 2011 GT on YouTube.Not hard at all.

#10 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

I thought about this a lot, whether to install the 2-1/16" Ford Racing gauges, or the programmable AutoMeter Sport Comp II series gauges in a FRPP LS pod as I don't see much if any value in the Electronic Gismo Gauge, (aka the EGG). But decided to pay the extra change for the Ford Racing OEM LS gauge set, as this is one mod that will be permanently installed in my Boss.

Now with that said, I still have the option down the road of changing out the center EGG, for a Ford Racing branded AutoMeter Oil Temperature gauge, and this way the gauge face font, lighting, dimming, etc., all matches the existing OEM LS gauges and it gives me a single "Ford Racing" logo on the center gauge, which I really like. I thought having the Ford Racing logo on all 3 gauges was a bit overstated. Just my opinion of course.

There are so many ways to customize your Boss 302 Mustang! Seems like an endless list, but it sure is a fun hobby, then you get to turn the key, listen to that U code rumble and the hair just stands up on the back of your neck. Nothing like the first Test 'N Tune run after a successful mod completion.

Mod on,
302 Hi Pro
  • bossy13 and boss742 like this

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#11 boss742

boss742

Boss-Tang#742

• Canadian Region
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:07 PM

On the vid they used the cool Cobalt gauges which go well with the factory lighting.

#12 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 3,125 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew FX4 - 2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

Here's a bit of information of the LS Gauge pod and Autometer gauges for those looking at doing this. 

http://themustangsou...uges-ls-498982/

• 302 Hi Pro and bossy13 like this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

#13 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,449 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 L S # 482 blk/red
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the link Kirk. Maybe I'd change the center gauge with a *MATCHING* A.F.ratio gauge.(a hand held tuner might give actual tyme A.F.ratios?) I love autometer stuff . Period. But those elite gauges are OVER THE TOP !

Edited by LSECO, 07 February 2016 - 01:20 PM.

<p><p> 2012 LAGUNA SECA Black/Race Red: The FIRST year of the RETURN of the Boss 302, (Gen.II) Road-Race ready.
L O - J A C K theft recovery system.
Pedestal wing with GT-500 Gurney flap,modified fr. splitter.Halon fire extinguisher.Cervini ram air hood w/heat extractors. Recaro racing seats, race red rear seat delete brace bar,4pt.race red seatbelts and harness bar,r.r. front splitter adj.rods,r.r.coil covers and r.r.shock tower brace.LS race gauge pack.FRPP race brake cooling ducts, Motul 600 race brake fluid, FRPP trans cooling scoop, AEM intake tube kit, oil catch can-pass side only, FRPP TRACKEY,SilverHorse gas filler lid.MMD satin black tail light surrounds,MMD Carbon fiber wrapped hood gas struts, projector headlights w/sequential turn signals and emergencies,rear brake/emergencies sequencers.CSI protective smoke head light covers-daytime use only, satin black LS faux gas cap.Honeycomb ELEANOR grill w/hidden LED HALO fogs,honeycomb front lower grill,limo tint on rear glass ONLY,LED interior, license plate, and trunk lighting, satin silver billet e-brake handle, mirror adj.knob ,shifter ball,rear seatbelt mounting covers.Eibach Sportline road racing lowering springs(installed by Eibach), FRPP 1pc. aluminium drive shaft,Bama "tunes for life", Kooks long tube headers,Kooks cat delete offroad X-pipe,resonator delete over axle pipes,On-3-Go muffler deletes.
Custom smoke/nickel chrome, LIGHTWEIGHT 19X10 wheels-295×30×19 fronts-295x30x19 rears w/Hoosier R6 tyres for spirited driving, Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on stock RED rims for inclement monsoon weather, Carbotech brake pads, race red Brembo calipers,FRPP GT500 rear rotors conversion, MGW Race spec.III shifter,Whiteline trans mount bushing, J&M adjustable panhard bar.Dual clutch transmission fluids,

(just a SMIDGEON of mods compared to most of "MY BOSSBROS") All LS take-off parts are packaged up..... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:   

#14 fking1

fking1

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

Finally installed the Autometer oil pressure gage.

Couple pics.

Attached Files

Edited by fking1, 29 March 2016 - 04:44 PM.

#15 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

If I do replace my center LS gauge pack electronic gauge, I will go with the AutoMeter Ford Racing logo Oil Temp gauge. This way I'll only have the center gauge with the Ford Racing logo, and the gauge face font and lighting colors will all match the existing LS gauges.

It is really nice having gauges in a 12 Boss.

302 Hi Pro

#16 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,449 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 L S # 482 blk/red
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:01 PM

The '13 Bosses thatq get raced , shouldn't leave home without 'em either.
<p><p> 2012 LAGUNA SECA Black/Race Red: The FIRST year of the RETURN of the Boss 302, (Gen.II) Road-Race ready.
L O - J A C K theft recovery system.
Pedestal wing with GT-500 Gurney flap,modified fr. splitter.Halon fire extinguisher.Cervini ram air hood w/heat extractors. Recaro racing seats, race red rear seat delete brace bar,4pt.race red seatbelts and harness bar,r.r. front splitter adj.rods,r.r.coil covers and r.r.shock tower brace.LS race gauge pack.FRPP race brake cooling ducts, Motul 600 race brake fluid, FRPP trans cooling scoop, AEM intake tube kit, oil catch can-pass side only, FRPP TRACKEY,SilverHorse gas filler lid.MMD satin black tail light surrounds,MMD Carbon fiber wrapped hood gas struts, projector headlights w/sequential turn signals and emergencies,rear brake/emergencies sequencers.CSI protective smoke head light covers-daytime use only, satin black LS faux gas cap.Honeycomb ELEANOR grill w/hidden LED HALO fogs,honeycomb front lower grill,limo tint on rear glass ONLY,LED interior, license plate, and trunk lighting, satin silver billet e-brake handle, mirror adj.knob ,shifter ball,rear seatbelt mounting covers.Eibach Sportline road racing lowering springs(installed by Eibach), FRPP 1pc. aluminium drive shaft,Bama "tunes for life", Kooks long tube headers,Kooks cat delete offroad X-pipe,resonator delete over axle pipes,On-3-Go muffler deletes.
Custom smoke/nickel chrome, LIGHTWEIGHT 19X10 wheels-295×30×19 fronts-295x30x19 rears w/Hoosier R6 tyres for spirited driving, Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on stock RED rims for inclement monsoon weather, Carbotech brake pads, race red Brembo calipers,FRPP GT500 rear rotors conversion, MGW Race spec.III shifter,Whiteline trans mount bushing, J&M adjustable panhard bar.Dual clutch transmission fluids,

(just a SMIDGEON of mods compared to most of "MY BOSSBROS") All LS take-off parts are packaged up..... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:   

#17 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

Does anyone know if the oil temp is recorded by the PCM? The oil pressure is available through a sender just above the oil filter on the side oi the block and I replaced this sender to feed oil pressure gauge, but now I'm thinking about replacing the electronic gauge with the Ford Racing logo Oil Temp gauge by AutoMeter.

I have a 20% discount code for Auto Zone, but the order will not process. Error is improper part quanity requested. Quanity was 1. Webpage states "In Stock" for home delivery on June 10-13, 2016. But Auto Zone rep reports No Stock, No Inventory.

Anyone else have this problem with Auto Zone? This gauge is $186 USD everywhere, but the order errors out at Auto Zone with a gauge price of $147 USD. Humm, beginning to think Auto Zone is scamming me on the discounted price. Bait & Switch on the price?

Bummer,
302 Hi Pro

#18 Dimo

Dimo

New Boss 302 Member

• European Region
  • 111 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302, 2013 VW Golf GTI, 2008 Ford Edge Limited

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

From what I've read online, you should be able to get oil pressure and temp by just T'ing off of that sender you mentioned. The only downside is that it pulls oil from after the cooler, rather than before.

How did the oil pressure gauge install go? I was planning on ordering oil pressure, temp, and a wideband O2 for my Boss this week and doing the install myself. But I was going to order it straight from Autometer, rather than a third party like AutoZone because I'm overseas
  • 302 Hi Pro likes this
Nordschleife Karussel
Eau Rouge

"Blaze"

2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302

Recaro and Torsen Diff Option, TracKey Enabled

Engine: Airaid PJ CAI - CoolTech Oil Cooler - JLT Oil Separators

Drivetrain: FRPP Short Throw Shifter - FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop - FRPP Rear Diff Cover

Suspension: SR Performance Rear Shock Tower Brace

Brakes: Blowfish Racing Brake Duct Kit - Steeda Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Interior: AutoMeter Gauges (oil pressure & temp, air/fuel) - FRPP LS Gauge Pod

Exterior: Blowfish Racing Tow Hook (front) - CoolTech Tow Hook (rear) - FRPP Boss 302S Grille - GT500 Rear Spoiler - Raxiom Taillights

Wheels & Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sports

#19 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:56 PM

Good question, the install was a little time consuming for me, but that's just me. It looks factory everywhere you look and it works excellent. I was going to go the same way as you, but just decided to pony up the extra cash for the factory LS gauge kit.

I posted pics and my install procedure under this section of our Forum to share information. I did have to replace the OEM sending unit as it was not able to process a pressure signal.

Had to tap into the IP wiring with 7 wires, 2 wires for coolant temp gauge, 2 wires for OP gauge and 3 wires for lighted dimmer function, and to keep the dash warning lights working in conjunction with the new gauges.

It's so nice having gauges in the Boss keeping an eye on critical U-Code engine functions. I now know when proper oil temp is reached when I see the OP comes down to 25-35 PSI at idle. Oil takes longer to come up to proper operating temps compared to coolant temps.

In low 90 degree ambient temps, the coolant runs in the 190's temp range. 190 - 198 degrees.

Let us know how you tie into the oil temp when you install your gauge set.

302 Hi Pro
  • Dimo likes this

#20 Dimo

Dimo

New Boss 302 Member

• European Region
  • 111 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302, 2013 VW Golf GTI, 2008 Ford Edge Limited

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:01 PM

It does sound great being able to see exactly what your oil is doing. I was tracking my boss the other week, and I really wished I had that info.

I just finished reading your install post, very informative! Thank you for taking the time to put that together!

I'll add a post when I do mine, it'll be a little different. I'm planning on using an A-pillar mount, and then running the wires through where the sound tube used to be. For now, I'm going to use that sending unit as my point for oil temp. But I believe CoolTech's oil cooler, that I plan on eventually getting, has a mounting point for a sending unit that would put it pre-cooler.
  • 302 Hi Pro likes this
Nordschleife Karussel
Eau Rouge

"Blaze"

2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302

Recaro and Torsen Diff Option, TracKey Enabled

Engine: Airaid PJ CAI - CoolTech Oil Cooler - JLT Oil Separators

Drivetrain: FRPP Short Throw Shifter - FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop - FRPP Rear Diff Cover

Suspension: SR Performance Rear Shock Tower Brace

Brakes: Blowfish Racing Brake Duct Kit - Steeda Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Interior: AutoMeter Gauges (oil pressure & temp, air/fuel) - FRPP LS Gauge Pod

Exterior: Blowfish Racing Tow Hook (front) - CoolTech Tow Hook (rear) - FRPP Boss 302S Grille - GT500 Rear Spoiler - Raxiom Taillights

Wheels & Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·