Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca Gauge Pack Install P/N: M-6304GPACK-MA

Not for the Faint of Heart!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

In February 2016, I made time to install a Boss 302 Laguna Seca Gauge Pack in my 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302.  I thought about this for some time and I finally decided to spend the extra money and purchase the Ford Racing LS Gauge Pack Part Number M*6304GPACK-MA.  Since I would have to cut my OEM dash pad, this is one Boss 302 modification that would stay with my car and hopefully add value some day.  

Another option would have been to purchase the LS gauge pod, ($89. USD) and install AutoMeter guages for Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Coolant Temp, but in the end, I wanted to keep the look of installed gauges Factory.  Another consideration was ease of installation, this kit comes with a very nice OEM wiring harness loom, and to me, this feature is worth the additional price of the Ford Racing Kit.  During installation, it is very easy to follow the OEM wiring harness with the new supplied gauge harness and everything matchs the OEM underdash wiring loom.  Even an under dash inspection would show nothing out of place and everything as tidy as it would come from the Flat Rock Mod Shop, the final assembly point of our Boss 302 Mustangs.

Ok with that said please keep in mind as you review this thread that I am not a technician by trade, however I do have an excellent mechanical aptitude and I like to work on my Boss 302.  I try to keep a clean car and I enjoy driving it too.  As you can see in the background of the pic below, there are a few more Boss mod parts for 2016.

We'll start with "Whats in the Box". The gauge pack comes pre-assembled:

20160206_160238_zpsnbdkwkkg.jpg

Includes a little sun screen bonnet:

20160206_160247_zpswntlhgxs.jpg

This is the back side and visible through the windshield:  Note:  There is a marr, or a mark on the back of the gauge pod.  I was not happy to see this mark as this kit happens to be the second FRPP Gauge Pack Kit i received.  The first kit had a few missing parts and had the same marr or marks in the same location.  Once it's installed, it is not noticable through the windshield, so I kept it as is. Quality Control is not what it should be.

20160206_160311_zpscnhid0tx.jpg

The business end of the gauge pod:  Note: In this picture, (Below) the gauge pack wiring harness is tucked in side the pod, it is shipped this way and it also allows you to test fit the dash mounting bracket and to test the location placement on your dash pad, as the gauge pack will sit flush on the top of the dash.

20160206_160338_zpscqk54lku.jpg

The wiring harness:

20160206_160423_zps8bffbklt.jpg

Oil sending unit, screws, clips, connector and mounting bracket:

20160206_160504_zpszhcfuocd.jpg

First, I test fit the base into the gauge pod, and due to production changes to the pod, mounting the center e-gauge accel tube with metal clips, this prevented the gauge pod from sitting down flush with the mounting bracket and it would not "Clip" into place.  Looking at the above pic, you can see the mounting bracket has a raised section with a rectangle hole.  This is the hole that receives the metal spring clip that you install on a plastic tab in the gauge pack housing. See below:

20160207_125631_zpstlpmbbud.jpg[/URL]

As you can see above the spring clip is now "Snapped" into place,  (Note: The next 2 pictures deal with a slight modification required to allow the spring clip to "Snap" in place.)

Looking at the 2 pics posted below, I had to modify the inner side of the pod to make this happen buy cutting "U" shapped grooves to reclip the e-gauge instrument tube,  (This tube as seen in the second picture show below, is actually a part of the e-gauge insturmentation, it is a sensor).  This tube sensor must be mounted by 2 plastic covered spring clips to the interior of the gauge pack housing.  It must be mounted level to the housing.

The picture will show you how I had to cut 2 "U" shaped slots to remount the sensor tube.  This gave the mounting base enough room to sit deeper in the housing to allow the spring clip to fully engage, or Snap in place.  The result of this gives the mounted gauge pack housing secure attachment points at both the front and rear of the dash mount.

Just below is the U slot cut to proper depth and i have used a small exacto knife saw blade to cut the right side U slot.  I then used a exacto knife razor attachment to trim the slot to the proper depth. Extreme care must be taken to not Break the plastic rail when cutting the U slots.

20160207_124208_zpsjppwkhko.jpg[/URL]

What a shame to have to do this, Right?  Especially when one considers the price of this Boss 302 LS "Official Ford Racing" accessory.  

20160207_125044_zpsiihpjnis.jpg[/UR

Above:  Now you can see the interior gauge pack wiring harness sensor tube is clipped back in place, this time it sets deep enough in the housing to allow the mounting bracket to fully engage the mounting clip, which is also user installed.  Again, this sensor tube must be mounted level for proper operation of the g-force movement feature of the e-gauge as displayed when vehicle is in motion.

Looking below we can see the end result of modifing the harness attachment points.  The mouting bracket is fully seated to the housing.

20160207_125749_zps8cx3ou3l.jpg

[/URL]

Continued

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 23 February 2016 - 04:30 PM.

• kevin, LSECO, Yankee-eight and 2 others like this

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

Post 2:   Ford Racing LS Gauge Pack Part Number M*6304GPACK-MA. 

Now that the bench work is completed, (Optional, and only if needed), the very first step is to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.  You will be required to disassemble the insturment panel. and this will require you to disconnect electrical connections.  Later in the install process you will make wiring splices into the exsisting OEM wiring harness for the Insturment Panel, so it is most important to disconnect the battery.  I disconnected the negitive ground cable and secured it as to not touch any metal component of the vehicle.  I will bring you up to date on the IP dissassembly in post 3 of this series.  Sorry for the mis post, but it is just too much to edit with all of the pictures..

Next up is the placement of the Gauge Pack on the Dash Pad, below is the template provided in the instruction set used to position the mounting bracket.  

20160206_163441_zps8ytqktvt.jpg[/URL]

Once the position is located, I used a small hook awl to mark the mounting bracket screw holes.

20160207_132724_zps4jsfz06r.jpg[/URL]

This is the Drill attachment I used to drill the pilot holes for the mounting bracket screws, (4).

20160207_133320_zpsmm1m69kq.jpg[/URL]

Before I cut the hole in the dash pad for the Gauge Pack Wiring harness, I secured the mounting plate with the 4 screws provided in the kit.  Note:  They are not self taping screws.

20160207_132906_zps31sgloqo.jpg[/URL]

Looking at the picture below, I used a fine point paint pen and marked the large hole to be cut.  The dash pad is made using a plastic shell as a base that is then covered with 1/2' of foam material and then covered with the finish layer of vinyl.  You have to start cutting somewhere, so here it is:

20160207_135613_zpsi8tcd84w.jpg[/URL]

At this point, I'm thinking to myself . . . . Are you sure?

Once the hole is cut in the dash pad top cover, you have to use a sharp exacto knife and cut the 1/2' foam pad and remove it.  At this point you are down to the plactic base of the dash pad as seen below:     Note:  At this point, take a moment to test fit the Gauge Pack Wiring Harness Plug and make sure this hole is large enough.  It is much easier to cut the plastic dash pad base to the correct size.

20160207_140314_zps0kp0r05e.jpg[/URL]

I happened to have a 12"X12" sheet of dense foam that I cut to size and later cut to fit the wiring harness cord just under the Gauge Pack.  This is not necessary, but I like the extra seal that it provides.  see below:

20160207_144525_zpsheu2zkrq.jpg

Now the mounting bracket is finished installed and ready to recieve the the Gauge Pack:

20160207_145136_zps4fiu2vvi.jpg

I used little bits of painters tape, (wax type) to assist with holding the screws firmly in the socket, and installed the 2 front mounting screws.

20160207_145816_zpszzh2de3e.jpg

Done!  The new Boss 302 Laguna Seca Gauge Pack is now mounted securely to the dash.  Note the location of the Gauge Pack harness plug.  The OEM wiring plug for the cigar lighter has fallen in the dash, but not to worry, it doesnt go far and is easily retreved for the reassembly process.

20160207_150335_zpsumd0qtgw.jpg

General Notes:

This install can be broken down as a 3 step install process.  1.  Mounting the Gauge Pack,  2.  Dash dissembly and Interior wiring, and  3.  Under hood wiring and sending unit replacement, and Dash reassembly  The next section will include the dash panel dissassembly, and the wiring splices to the IP OEM wiring harness.

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 23 February 2016 - 05:44 PM.

• TymeSlayer and kevin like this

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#3 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

Post 3:   Ford Racing LS Gauge Pack Part Number M*6304GPACK-MA. 

As you can see in the pictures above in post 2, the Insturment Panel, (IP) is dissassembled and this is an easy procedure that requires you to first Disconnect the vehicle Battery.  As you have seen the center AC vents and Power Outlet panel is removed, and to remove this center IP section, you will be required to remove both the passenger side Air Bag panel and the IP gauge cluster.  Also to facilitate the routing of the new Gauge Pack wiring harness you will have to remove the lower kick panel below the steering wheel column to gain access.

First is the passenger side Air Bag module:

Start by removing the glove box.  In this case, I was able to open the glove box and slightly bend both sides of the plastic glove box inwards to clear the glove box door stops.  Then I let the glove box hang downward.  Looking up, under the right side dash, you will see the Air Bag Module, (ABM), mounting bolts, and in this picture I have already removed the right side mounting bolt.  Also notice the yellow wiring, it has a white plastic mounting tab that you will pull away from the mount bracket.  DO NOT disconnect the wiring connector, only pull the white plug from the mounting bracket to let the yellow wires hang freely.

20160206_164354_zpsw8rhakwx.jpg

In the picture below, you can see the yellow wiring harness white plastic mounting tab that is now pulled free from its mounting location..  

20160221_160105_zpsa3cug5pf.jpg

Below you will see the second ABM mounting bolt, remove both bolts and slide the ABM forward, towards the interior of the vehicle.  

NOTE:  You will only slide the ABM out enough to gain access to the 2 mounting screws that retains the center dash panel with the 2 A/C vents and power outlet.  This is only about 4.0" to 5.0". Keep the ABM in its track and do not attempt to remove it completely, just slide it forward a few inches.

20160206_164813_zpsaiyqqqo7.jpg

Now you can see the IP center section attachment bolts/screws there are 3 screws to remove, 2 on this side as pictured above and only 1 screw on the left side of the center IP panel.

However the next step is to gain access to the right side of the center dash IP panel.  To do this, you simply remove the insturment cluster bezel.  First, lower your steering wheel to the lowest position, then reach inside the speedo and tachometer holes and grab the bezel and pull it forward.  It is held in place with pressure clips that just pull loose, and then push on to hold the bezel.

This is what you will see, and be most careful to not scratch your IP panel.  Store them in a safe location.

20160221_154329_zpsqjlic8lq.jpg

Remove the last screw from the center dash panel section and pull it away enough to disconnect the wiring connector to the power outlet.

20160221_155324_zpsikefwkdc.jpg

20160221_155156_zpst8nvijni.jpg

The next step is to Remove the vehicle IP, (Speedo & Tach cluster), this will allow you to install the Gauge Pod Wiring harness.  First I ran the new wiring harness under the left side center AC vent to meet up with the main vehicle wiring harness.  The new Gauge Pack wiring harness has 2 branches that stay inside of the car.  Bring the IP wiring harness branch out with the vehicle IP harness and continue going down to the inner fire wall with the rest of the GP harness,  Next is a Ground branch that continues over to the drivers side kick panel.  The remainder of the GP wiring harness goes out through the main wiring harness boot that is located behind the clutch pedal, lower left side.   Below are a few pics:

Once the IP cluster is removed, this is what you will see.  Note how the vehicle wiring harness to the IP cluster is wrapped in a plastic sleeve and then taped.  You will have to remove this.  The weather was cold on this day so I used my heat gun on medium and warmed up the vehicle wiring harness.  Cold wiring is difficult to work with.

20160220_144757_zpss7qqswxy.jpg

You disconnect the IP cluster with one wiring connector, shown above.  It is located at the rear upper right side of the IP cluster, behind the Tach.  Once you remove the wrapped black plastic sleeve, you will see this:

20160220_145221_zpsd6jrrw52.jpg

As you can see the new IP branch of the GP harness is routed next to the open IP vehicle harness.  Shop Tip:  Should you ever need to service the new LS Gauge Pack, it is important that you leave enough slack in the new harness with the gauge plug.  I located my GP to GP harness connector right under the newly installed GP.  This way I can pull the plug up through the dash pad hole to unplug and remove the gauge with out removing my dash pad to get to the GP wiring connector.  Below you wil see that I used a zip tie to hold the wires together.  Cut this off on final reassembley to leave slack for the GP harness.

20160220_144355_zps71gpcgvh.jpg

The Ground wire can be secured to the chassis under the dash.  I found that the ground branch of the GP harness branched off the GP harness right before the harness exit of the passenger compartment at the main vehicle harness fire wall pass through.  I grounded the wire on the upper side of the drivers side kick panel, (under dash above plastic Kick Panel), to a small threaded stud that was welded to the chassis that was not used. I sourced a new nut for the threaded stud, (lock nut) and first installed a Star washer, the ground connector, a Star washer and then the lock nut. Looks factory!  Shop Tip:  There are 2 threaded studs at the left side above the drivers side kick panel.  Of the two threaded studs, I used the upper stud location.

The next step is to bring the end of the GP wiring harness out to the left side of the engine compartment.  Here is a picture of the Oil Sending unit connector end that is preped to install the sending unit plug that is supplied in the kit.  Note:  The new sending unit requires a 3 lead connector and the OEM sending unit for the dash light is only a 1 lead connector.

Prepped for connector install:

20160220_183105_zps4j41f3ol.jpg

Note the use of shrink wrap, (4 pieces).

Continued . . . .

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 24 February 2016 - 01:54 PM.

• TymeSlayer and buland like this

#4 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

Post 4:   Ford Racing LS Gauge Pack Part Number M*6304GPACK-MA. 

To bring the wiring harness oil sending unit out of the passenger compartment, complete the following steps.

1.  Raise vehicle to remove the left side wheel/tire.  Use care and follow the Owners Manual instructions for raising the vehicle to remove the wheel /tire.  Then use a jack stand while working with vehicle jacked up.

2.  Remove the left side rear inner plastic fender well.  Ther are 4 push pin type connectors, 2 at the top, 1 on the frame rail and 1 in the middle of the plastic well.  Note the plastic wheel well is a 2 piece unit.  Only remove the rear section to gain access to the fire wall.

3,  Once removed you will immediately see a Rubber plug for the main vehicle wiring harness pass though.  On the inner side of this plug, you will see a pencel shaped rubber tube, (Part of the main rubber plug), with an eraser sized nub at the end.  Use a sharp razor blade and cut the head of this nub off.  Be carefull and do not over cut this rubber nub as you want this to seal the new harness once pulled through this location.  

4.  Follow the frame rail up to the OEM air filter CAI box area.

5.  Reinstall the inner fender well, Reinstall the wheel/tire, remove jack stand and lower the vehicle,  you are done having to raise the vehicle.

6.  Remove the factory CAI lower box and air filter, set aside.

7,  Locate the OEM oil sending unit, (behing the alternator and just above the OEM oil cooler.  Unplug the single wire OEM oil sending unit connector.

8.  At this point, I used a 13/16 combo wrench to carefully remove the OEM sending unit.  This will take a few minutes and you have to flip the combo wrench with each turn of removing the stock oil sending unit.  A drip or two of oil will come out of the sending unit and the sending unit mounting hole.  Clean this area.  Oil wil continue to drip out of the sending unit you just removed.

9.  Apply thread sealant to the new Oil Sending unit, (3 pin connector unit) and install using the reverse steps in number 8 using a 7/8' combo wrench, (yes, it is larger).  Critical NOTE:  Do not over thighten this Oil Sending Unit!  Hand thread the sending unit to ensure you DO NOT Cross-thread the oils sending unit mounting hole threads!  This is an Aluminum Block and threads and the Oil Sending Unit uses mild-Steel Threads.   Cross Threading and/or over tightning will cause oil leaks. 

Prepare the new connector: Using shrink wrap on each wire and then over all wires as shown in the picture above, you can assemble the new 3 wire oil sending unit connector like this:

20160220_185405_zpsg36hd73j.jpg

Reminder:  Make sure you have disconnected your battery prior to the start of this install:

20160206_162204_zpswxgdmapl.jpg

Notes:  Have to appolige as i lost a set of photos somehow during the uploading process from my Camera!  I should have stayed with my Note 3 cell phone camera.

Last is the connections to the dash IP wiring harness.  I will repost two pics from above and walk you through the process.

Note: This was previously done, (see above) to route the two wiring harness together.

Removel of the Gauge Cluster is easy and there are only 2 screws at the top of each corner, steering wheel must be fully lowered, and just pull it straight out.  Disconnect the wiring harness plug located behing the Tach, top side rear.

20160206_163345_zpsffsnsyhs.jpg

Rember this is what you will see when removed:

20160220_144757_zpss7qqswxy.jpg

Remove the plastic wiring shield, use care in doing so as you will reuse this plastic sleeve unit.

20160220_145221_zpsd6jrrw52.jpg

Next you wan to line up the two wiring harness, I also used black electrical tape to hold the two harness together where they come out of the back side of the dash cavity. See Below:

20160220_150008_zpspbfwvxu0.jpg

You will splice a total of 5 wires at this location.  This is where you will pick up the feeds for the PCM CHT Coolant gauge as well.  Note: the two "Twisted pair" wires.  The White and White with Blue wires are for Coolant temp and the Red and Red Tan twisted wires are for the oil temp light.  The new Oil Pressure leads in the new GP wiring harness are twisted as well.  These must all remain twisted.

Shop Tip!  Do Not Cut any Wires here!  The OEM plug is in 2 pieces, the Pin Connector, which is white, and the Pin Connector Holder, which is black.  Remove the pin connector and using a special tool, release the wire pin connector for Pin locations 1, 3, 5 and 12, 13,  Once the wires are removed from the pin connector INSTALL your shrink wrap to both wires to be spliced.

Next, Stagger you wire splices and carefully remove a 1/4' section of the splice wire insolation.  Use a Soldering Flux paste and coat bare wires of splice.  Use a Soldering gun to tin both wires. Join the wires and finish solder the connection.  Let cool then slide down the heat shrink and use a heat gun to shrink.  Once all wires are done, reinstall the wires into the pin connector, reassemble the pin connector and reinstall the IP plastic wiring wrap and be sure to include all wires in the rewrapping.  See below.

20160221_150821_zpsiw4vv6z5.jpg

Here is a pic of the where the new GP wiring harness and the existing IP wiring harness come together:

20160221_150833_zps54depp1h.jpg

Reassemble the interior of the car and reconnect the Battery and You are done!

For me it was a nervious moment, but I did not see any electrical smoke inside the cabin after the battery was reconnected.  Note: Sorry I lost the pics of the last steps here, as I would have liked to have shown you the splice connectors.

But all went well and the Laguna Seca Gauge Pack install is a Success!  

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 24 February 2016 - 03:17 PM.

• TymeSlayer and kevin like this

#5 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:40 AM

Post 5

More to follow

Af few tips I used during the install process.  

When drilling and cutting the dash, you want to limit or eliminate the debris from falling behing your center stack components.  That would be tough to clean with out a lot of unnecessary work.  So I made up cardboard shield and slipped in like so, then used a vacuum to suck all of the shavings and debris out.  This kept all of the debris right in the little pocket that is formed between the two AC vent outlets.

20160207_140920_zpsmtqkcknp.jpg

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 24 February 2016 - 02:34 PM.

• TymeSlayer likes this

#6 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 157 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 Laguna Seca
  • Boss 302's Year:2013
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

Great write-up so far. The pod looks great!
  • 302 Hi Pro likes this

#7 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

Update:

Today I took a few minutes an removed the gauge pod, lifted it out of the way, and slightly elongated the holes in the dash pad mounting plastic bracket to canter the gauge pack a few degrees toward the driver. This greatly improved the CHT coolant gauge readability v. as installed in the straight position. It was difficult to read the coolant gauge between the 7:00 - 11:00 o'clock position.

Now I have full view of all gauges. Very happy with the result, and so glad I wired the gauge pack wiring with serviceability in mind to have enough slack in the wiring to be able to pull the wiring harness connector plug up through the mounting hole. Pics to follow.

Edit: I just returned from a 20 minute test drive, and I have a much better view of all the gauges, in fact, I noticed for the first time that my center e-gauge has LED lights around the perimeter of the cause that indicated increased or decreased g-forces. Previously I could not see the rim of this gauge to notice the LED squares. Amazing.

I have to read my Boss 302 Supplemental Owners Manual to learn how to setup and calibrate the e-gauge.

All the best, and owning a Boss 302 sure is fun!
302 Hi Pro

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 21 March 2016 - 04:32 PM.

• TymeSlayer likes this

#8 Tnelson184

Tnelson184

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 65 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Boss 302

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

Great write up! I just installed the gauge pod with some autometer gauges. Your pictures helped a lot more than the factory instructions. I'm curious if the gauges on the pod light up exactly like the dash does. Such as when you open the door, ect. Also, are the gauges fully back lit during the day and then dim down with the headlights on like the factory dash would?
  • 302 Hi Pro likes this

#9 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:48 PM

Hi TNelson184:

That was my hope when I decided to get the OEM LS gauge package. I can tell you now that I haven't noticed any changes in lighting and these gauges do match the dash gauges font and color exactly. Will have to check the lighting and get back to you. I suspect they act just like the dash gauges, but will double check.

Regards,
302 Hi Pro

#10 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

I checked the lights and everything works insync with dash lights.

Good luck with your install.
302 Hi Pro

#11 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 3,066 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew FX4 - 2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

Dave,

Thinking of finally doing this for a winter MOD. I'm thinking you've had yours installed for 8-9 months and would like to know how yours is working and some updated feedback on how you like it. I agree with you thinking that going with the FRPP package is the way to go rather than buying the shell and filling/customizing it, although it would be the cheaper way to go. I waiting to see what kind of deal Benny at Levittown can give me. 

Thanks bud.

Kirk

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

#12 Ginger

Ginger

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 184 posts
  • Region:Other
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:37 AM

I rather have temps and psi on the gauges more than G-forces.

I want to know what's happing with the motor. But that's the nice part of the cluster pod. Do what you want with it and it still looks factory.

You cant go wrong with any choice. Once you drill that hole in the dash you hit the point of no return.

#13 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:31 PM

Dave,

Thinking of finally doing this for a winter MOD. I'm thinking you've had yours installed for 8-9 months and would like to know how yours is working and some updated feedback on how you like it. I agree with you thinking that going with the FRPP package is the way to go rather than buying the shell and filling/customizing it, although it would be the cheaper way to go. I waiting to see what kind of deal Benny at Levittown can give me. 

Thanks bud.

Kirk

I love the Ford OEM gauge pack. Oil pressure and CHT cooling system temps. I will eventually change out the e-Gauge for an Oil Temp gauge. I thought about this for a long time, save money and piece it together, or go with the OEM Ford Racing LS gauge pack? So glad I spent the extra bucks and went with the OEM kit. The install and integration of splicing into the factory wiring harness under OEM install instructions is a great plus.

My Boss 302 LS gauge pack is wired just like the original Leguna Seca packages installed at the FlatRock Mod Shop. Now here is the great news that I figured out after the OEM gauge pack install. When I change out my center eGauge, I will select the AutoMeter - Ford Racing oil temp gauge. This will provide the Ford Racing logo on the center gauge only, just like the OEM LS gauge theme of one center Ford Racing logo. If you know what I mean. The other Plus is that all the gauge fonts and back lighting will match. Again, when with the new FR logo oil temp gauge, it will look Factory.

I agonized over spending the additional $4-500 on the OEM kit, but have to say, looking back? So glad I did.

Install tip: Do not cut the IP wiring harness to splice your wires, rather melt the wire insulation and solder the new wires in, then use heat shrink to reseal the wiring splices.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

I rather have temps and psi on the gauges more than G-forces.
I want to know what's happing with the motor. But that's the nice part of the cluster pod. Do what you want with it and it still looks factory.
You cant go wrong with any choice. Once you drill that hole in the dash you hit the point of no return.

Actually, it's 5 holes in your dash pad. But it's ok because the gauge pod is a perment accessory and every 2012 Boss 302 LS has the same holes in the dash pad. Right?

It's a great Ford OEM accessory.

2HP
  • TymeSlayer likes this

#14 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 157 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

I love the Ford OEM gauge pack. When I change out my center eGauge, I will select the AutoMeter - Ford Racing oil temp gauge. This will provide the Ford Racing logo on the center gauge only, just like the OEM LS gauge theme of one center Ford Racing logo. If you know what I mean. The other Plus is that all the gauge fonts and back lighting will match. Again, when with the new FR logo oil temp gauge, it will look Factory.

I am looking to do this mod in the near future and was curious if you could provide photos of the revised gauge pack. Would like to see how the AutoMeter looks compared to the eGauge. In your opinion does it still follow the same interior lighting and OEM look that the factory unit did?

Thanks

#15 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 3,066 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew FX4 - 2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

A bit on the AutoMeter Options...

Attached File  Auto Meter Shopping Cart.pdf   175.39KB   14 downloads

I was looking at buying the shell and filling it. One of the options were these three but there are many to choice from. 

• cholmes1 likes this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

#16 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 157 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:13 PM

I like the carbon look, but would be concerned they would not properly match the faux fiber we currently have along the dash.

Have you seen these installed in a Boss?

#17 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 3,066 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

No I have not but Autometer has other gauge face plate options. 

I found these and others like it when I was considering buying the FRPP pod package or just the pod and thinking of filling it with gauges I want. Seems I may actually go the same route as Dave (302HP) and forgo the saving to stick with the OEM look. But I still haven't made concrete decision. 

• LSECO, 302 Hi Pro and cholmes1 like this

#18 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

I found these and others like it when I was considering buying the FRPP pod package or just the pod and thinking of filling it with gauges I want. Seems I may actually go the same route as Dave (302HP) and forgo the saving to stick with the OEM look. But I still haven't made concrete decision.

TS:

Oh, I forgot to mention this advantage about the OEM LS Gauge Pack, the Wiring-Harness! Look again at my LS Gauge Pack install thread. Under-dash, under-hood, wiring is all Factory in appearance. (Shop Tip: Leave extra harness length under the gauges to allow pulling out indivual gauges for service replacement.)

I am looking to do this mod in the near future and was curious if you could provide photos of the revised gauge pack. Would like to see how the AutoMeter looks compared to the eGauge. In your opinion does it still follow the same interior lighting and OEM look that the factory unit did?
Thanks

I have a lot of work stacked up for my Boss. I'll get back on her after the holidays and will post up pics when I get back to the gauges. But yes, font and lighting is the same on both FR gauge sets, and they dim with dash cluster gauges. Note: Its getting dark here so I ran out and re-verified the gauge dim function. All OEM in looks and function.

302 Hi Pro
  • cholmes1 likes this

#19 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 157 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

I have a lot of work stacked up for my Boss. I'll get back on her after the holidays and will post up pics when I get back to the gauges. But yes, font and lighting is the same on both FR gauge sets, and they dim with dash cluster gauges. Note: Its getting dark here so I ran out and re-verified the gauge dim function. All OEM in looks and function.

302 Hi Pro

I look forward to seeing the after holiday photos. 

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#20 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:02 AM

But I still haven't made concrete decision.

TS:

Yes, I know exactly what your thinking about as I thought about which way to go for some time as well. When I do install the Oil Temp Gauge, I will have to install another sending unit and decide where to install it.

2HP
  • TymeSlayer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·