Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

S197 Chassis - Rear Shock Tower Brace?

Is This Worth the Investment?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

The S197 Rear Chassis brace by Cool Tech. Who has installed this as a standalone brace? Let me know your thoughts and if possible what is your feed back on installing a rear shock tower brace.

Of the ones I have reviewed, this one appears to offer the best mounting system with interior and exterior brace plates to strength the regidity of the rear chassis.

Here is a link to the CoolTech, LLC - Rear Tower Brace.

http://www.cooltechl...ower-brace.html

Thanks for your feed back,
302 Hi Pro

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,648 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:11 AM

A good topic to renew some thought to.This doesn't look like a bad idea and much simpler for installation than OEM X brace and rear seat removal. I can picture how with the additional plate backing on either side it's a noticeable difference. So the car with unibody frame and this addition could do a fair job of keeping the cars boots on the ground.

But is it possible there's additional flexing that may not be as straight-forward taking place that can be more so corrected by X-bracing? In addition is highly visible and does away with rear seating. The fender to fender theory is used for the engine compartment brace with the rear being far less susceptible to weight inertia shift issues as a motor, tranny, K member etc.

What about say the available jacking rails which I can understand also could assist frame ridgidity but lengthwise not across. I mean if you can jack the entire side of the car from a single centered jack point. Must be a bit sagging I'd think, can't say.

So...... Now if I think of this as a wooden crate which would work better? It has to be the X, an additional 2x4 would assist with bottom bracing but the rest of the box it seems would still have tendency to go parallelogram. Probably can conclude with your own deductions ( not to do anything lol)?

Edited by Rich B., 17 January 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#3 Ginger

Ginger

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Other
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

I installed the Watson roll bar and X Brace. That alone stiffened up the car a lot. But that's a lot more work to install than the tower brace and still have rear seats.

I would think that if your looking to go heavy duty on the track duty. then the stiffer the better. But our street cars / track capable and drivers age bracket may want some driving comfort.

My wife says mine rides like a rock and is not comfortable anymore. She say I ruined the car...Lol

O Well

• TymeSlayer, Rich B., Dimo and 1 other like this

#4 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 958 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

Funny wife story.  

When we were at Road America, my wife road with me for a session.  My sister-in-law was there and asked her how it was.  Her response, Classic.

"It was just like riding with him in the country, except without stop signs". 

Hard to argue when she was right.  

• TymeSlayer, Rich B. and shrspeedblade like this

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#5 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,648 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:02 AM

Wives seem to have a way of putting things in true perspective lol.
  • Ginger likes this

#6 Dimo

Dimo

New Boss 302 Member

• European Region
  • 111 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302, 2013 VW Golf GTI, 2008 Ford Edge Limited

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

I run an SR Performance Rear shock tower brace. I like it; solid, one-piece construction, and it blends right in with the trunk carpeting. Youd have to really look to notice its there. Driving my Golf GTI feels like driving a minivan, with all the body roll compared to the Boss. So I think it makes a positive difference.
Nordschleife Karussel
Eau Rouge

"Blaze"

2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302

Recaro and Torsen Diff Option, TracKey Enabled

Engine: Airaid PJ CAI - CoolTech Oil Cooler - JLT Oil Separators

Drivetrain: FRPP Short Throw Shifter - FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop - FRPP Rear Diff Cover

Suspension: SR Performance Rear Shock Tower Brace

Brakes: Blowfish Racing Brake Duct Kit - Steeda Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Interior: AutoMeter Gauges (oil pressure & temp, air/fuel) - FRPP LS Gauge Pod

Exterior: Blowfish Racing Tow Hook (front) - CoolTech Tow Hook (rear) - FRPP Boss 302S Grille - GT500 Rear Spoiler - Raxiom Taillights

Wheels & Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sports

#7 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 3,125 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew FX4 - 2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

I didn't buy a Cadillac, I bought a track car you can drive on the street. My wife also thinks I've ruined the car with lowering the car,  tightening up the suspension and all the other mods I've done to make it run sweet on the road course. When I test drove the Hellcat a few months ago, I actually complained that it's ride was better suited for the street than the track. I don't see many if any on the road courses so that tells me everything I need to know. 

• Ginger, Rich B. and Dimo like this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·