Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2012 Boss 302 Engine Failure

38 replies to this topic

#1 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:54 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and new to the Boss 302 Mustang.  I just purchased a Race Red 2012 Boss 302 with 3,280 miles on it this past weekend.  It's been garage kept and according to the previous owner never driven in the rain.  The car is like brand new, mint condition.  I've driven it about 60 miles since purchase.  I took it out on a back road Saturday morning using the track key and did two controlled launches, one with traction control and one without and then ran through the gears for about a mile.  I came to a stop at a cross road, made a turn, and noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine that quickly turned into a knock.  It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side top of the engine, but not sure.  It kind of sounds like a spun bearing somewhere.  No prior warning or check engine lights and oil level was ok.  It is still under warranty until October 2016 so I had it towed to a local Ford dealer for diagnostic, but since it was Saturday afternoon, the service manager says they wouldn't be able to get to it until Monday or Tuesday.  My question is based on forum members experience, what can I expect from Ford as far as warranty goes.  Any input or suggestions for dealing with Ford will be much appreciated.  Thanks to all!

Dale

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 57 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northern Plains
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:10 PM

Had you checked the oil level since you purchased it? 

Boss%20sig_zpsugaxjrek%201_zps785x14bl.j

#3 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:27 AM

Yes, and was full when I dropped it off at the dealer.  Dip stick showed full just before tow truck picked it up on side of road.

Edited by daleclaytor, 22 August 2016 - 05:40 AM.

#4 Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 57 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northern Plains
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

Curious what they find then. Ticking is pretty normal for this engine but not knocking. I see you mentioned the oil level in your original post... sorry, didn't notice ><

Boss%20sig_zpsugaxjrek%201_zps785x14bl.j

#5 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 958 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

With few exceptions, Ford has fixed all engine problems under warranty if she is stock. If there is an aftermarket tune, not likely TK is not considered an after market tune.

Work with the dealer and the Ford rep closely.

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#6 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

Yes, Ford Motor Company has provided excellent warranty coverage for Boss 302 engine failures in the past. I even remember 2 examples of owners who had their Boss 302's towed to the dealer from race tracks and Ford covered their engine failures.

Can you tell us the build date, (drivers door jam sticker), and Boss 302 production number, (intake manifold plate)? Also, do you have or know of the maintenance history? Was this the original oil and filter, or was it previously serviced at a Ford Dealer? Note: Your Dealer can also print a service and warrant repair history for you for all work previously performed by Ford Dealerships. Look for prior engine repairs and any owner complaints of engine tick or noise from the engine.

Please keep up posted and be sure to ask about the "cause" of failure. Example: If they report "Spun rod bearing from lack of oil", ask "what was the cause of lack of oil?" Clearly, it was not due to low or no oil in the engine.

With only 60 miles on the clock since your purchase, it seems odd for this failure to happen after only a few WOT runs. OBTW, AdvanceTrack Sport Mode is very good for testing and learning about your Boss 302 handling characteristics.

Again good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.
302 Hi Pro

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#7 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

Build date was 7/2011, production number is 1293.  Got a call from the dealer around lunch time today, said they definitely found fine metal  in the oil.  The service rep who called me said she believed they were going to cover the repairs under warranty, but wouldn't know for sure until they break down the engine, probably Wednesday she said.  The Boss was kept in a collectors garage for the past 4 years along with about 14 other cars and trucks.  The guys daughter drove it every once in a while and took it to a track once.  I don't know the service record, but probably wasn't serviced too often with only 3,280 miles on it.   I will email the previous owner and ask if he has service records.  Thanks!

Dale

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#8 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:37 PM

Hi all,

Ford is going to cover a new engine under warranty, whew. . . and only had two months left till it expired.  Ford & Lincoln of Ocala, FL is doing the warranty work.  Spun crank and rod bearings on cylinders 3 & 7.  Service tech broke down the engine this morning and allowed me to take pics, what a mess.  I've never seen so much metal from spun bearings before.  Tech wasn't sure what caused the bearing failures, but oil sump screen was completely stopped up with metal shards and fine filings.  You can see the large amount of metal in the windage tray picture below.  I have to say that Pam and Hob in service and Micah the Tech working on my engine have been really great throughout this whole ordeal.  Ford Motor Company didn't hesitate to honor the warranty.  See pics below:

20160826_141333_resized_1.jpg 20160826_141401_resized_1.jpg 20160826_142115_resized_1.jpg 20160826_142953_resized_1.jpg 20160826_143004_resized_1.jpg 20160826_143038_resized_1.jpg

Micah says he will have new engine installed and the Boss ready to go by Wednesday  :) .  Then after break in and test runs, the Boss is getting boost.  Just ordered a JPC Paxton Street Fighter Blower Kit from Justin's Performance Center, Millersville, Maryland.  Should be fun  :yahoo: .

Edited by daleclaytor, 26 August 2016 - 09:51 PM.

#9 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

Whoa! Catastrophic engine failure!

Very happy to learn that you have a competent Ford Dealer Service Department. I had no doubt that FMC would cover an engine failure under warranty. Looks like you're in line for a new Boss 302 U Code engine assembly.

Keep us posted on your repair progress and method, (e.g. Long block, short block, etc.).
All the best,
2HP

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#10 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

Will do and thanks!  Is there a casting number or code on the block to identify it as a Boss 302 U Code engine and if so where is it located?  Thanks again!

Dale

Edited by daleclaytor, 27 August 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#11 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 958 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

Ford steps up again, nice.

Uncertain of a U code on the block. I believe the last 6 of the vin are etched on the block of all Fords.

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#12 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

Does anyone know where on the block the code may be etched?

#13 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

Keep working with your repairing dealer's Service Manager / Director to learn of the repair method authorized by FMC. It will most likely go in one of two directions.

1. Replacement of a Short Block", (includes: block, pistons, con-rods, crankshaft assembled with all new bearings.). The original cylinder heads are re-used. But with your catostropic failure, the cams are most likely damaged/scored due to oil contamination and starvation.

2. Replacement of a "Long Block" (includes everything from oil pan to coil covers, so to speak.). This is basically a complete new engine assembly that only requires the transfer of manifolds and engine accessories, starter, A/C Compressor and Alternator, etc.

In general, warrantable repairs made by vehicle manufacturers will lean forward the method that requires the least amount of Technican labor to complete the repairs.

Insofar as your question regarding the engine ID pad location, I can tell you that during my Kooks header install, I came across a machined and etched pad under the L/Side, (Drivers Side), exhaust manifold. There is also a small machined and etched pad on the front edge of the engine valley bridge. (This one has casting date info.)

In the past, Ford has also been known for tagging engine ID info on the lower side of the block skirts and rear of block locations.

This is an interesting topic though, so please post up your findings on the correct location of the ID pad, and how we can de-code this important information.

Thank you,
302 Hi Pro

PS: IIRC, Ford does not "VIN Code" every engine block, and in the early days would only VIN Code performance engine blocks, (e.g. CJ, SCJ, Boss 2's and 9's, 427 CID engines, etc.).

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 28 August 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#14 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

Hi all,

Got the Boss back two days ago (Friday) with new engine installed.  It was a new long block.  Ford even threw in a detail and diamond coat paint protection package with the warranty repairs at no charge :) .  No dollars out of my pocket for the engine replacement  :thumbsup: .  Took quick look at the new engine block for casting numbers before it was installed and only found numbers on the timing chain cover, see pics below.  Didn't see a number on the engine valley bridge or near exhaust manifold area, but evidently wasn't looking closely enough.  The long block came wrapped in plastic and had an inspection tag attached with part # CR3Z-6006-D recorded on it with date 1/14/13, see pic below.  This code indicates a 2012/2013 Boss 302 and GT Ford OEM replacement part number.  I asked the tech if this was the same engine as original with forged internals and he indicated it was.  I'm satisfied with it.

Was driving in the rain yesterday morning (Saturday) to put a few miles on the new engine and experienced a short series of hesitations under light acceleration and then a flashing check engine light.  Flashing light only lasted a few seconds at first and then went off.  Immediately called service department at the Ford Dealer and was told not to worry about it unless it came back on, and to bring it in if it does.  About 10 miles later the check engine light flashed several times again and then stayed on.  I drove straight to the Ford dealer and they ran a diagnostic using a hand held.  Multiple misfire codes came up so the tech attached a laptop and began running a more detailed diagnostic.  I was using the track key and after a few minutes the tech asked for the black key which I didn't have with me.  He indicated that he needed to spend some time with the car using the black key to figure out what was going on, but since it was Saturday and they were about to close, not open on Sunday, and Monday was a holiday, to come back on Tuesday.  I asked if it was OK to drive and he said not any more than I had too.  So, drove it home with the check engine light still on.  I started looking into misfire causes and how to clear the check engine light.  Figured I would disconnect negative battery cable in attempt to clear the check engine light and see if it returned after driving.  When I went to disconnect the negative battery cable, it was just loosley attached to the terminal.  I removed the cable for about 5 minutes and then installed it properly and then drove the car for about 30 miles.  No more check engine light and no more misfires happy%20feet.gif .   Will call the tech on Tuesday and let him know :) .  

Thanks to all for your input.  

Dale

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160829_133452_resized.jpg
  • 20160829_133504_resized.jpg
  • 20160829_133510_resized.jpg
  • 20160829_133518_resized.jpg
  • 20160829_133527_resized.jpg
  • 20160829_133603_resized.jpg

Edited by daleclaytor, 04 September 2016 - 06:55 PM.

#15 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:15 AM

Dale:

Take a look in your Ford Mustang Owners Manual and look up Ford's recommendated "New Engine Break-in Process". Your discovery of the loose battery connection was excellent, and I suspect it caused your intermittent CEL and hesitation issues.

There are mixed "Internet" recommendations on the break-in procedure, but I always default to the Manufacturers recommendation. After all who knows the product best?

Looking at the new engine pics, I see you also received the new style Cam Phaser Acutators, they have a larger electrical connector. This was a running production change made in late production 2012 MY Boss 302's. Also, the January 2013 date is good to see as Ford ceased Boss 302 U-Code engine long block production a few years ago. You received a new U-Code all forged internal Boss 302 Hi-Po engine.

Thank you for posting and keeping us updated. I'm happy to see all is well with your Boss 302.
All the Best,
302 Hi Pro

PS: Personnally, I would run the Silver Key for the first 500 miles.

#16 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 958 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:14 AM

Unfortunately, a loose cable is a common issue. You loosen the cable so you can connect and disconnect easily while working and trouble shooting the car. Then you forget to tighten.

Wish I could say I never did this..

Great to see your dealer and ford treated you so well.
  • 302 Hi Pro likes this

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#17 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:08 PM

Will do on running with black key. Thanks!

#18 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:48 AM

Update on the check engine light. Check engine light came back on after a couple of days of occasional driving, took the Boss back to Ford and they found a technical service bulletin that indicated when the crank position sensor from the old engine is moved to the new engine that there is a rubber sleeve that has to go on the crank sensor when it's installed to keep it from vibrating. The vibration was causing the ECU to miss read crank position and was causing misfires. They corrected that and now all is well.
  • 302 Hi Pro likes this

#19 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,449 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 L S # 482 blk/red
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

XLNT to hear your issues are well taken care of.
<p><p> 2012 LAGUNA SECA Black/Race Red: The FIRST year of the RETURN of the Boss 302, (Gen.II) Road-Race ready.
L O - J A C K theft recovery system.
Pedestal wing with GT-500 Gurney flap,modified fr. splitter.Halon fire extinguisher.Cervini ram air hood w/heat extractors. Recaro racing seats, race red rear seat delete brace bar,4pt.race red seatbelts and harness bar,r.r. front splitter adj.rods,r.r.coil covers and r.r.shock tower brace.LS race gauge pack.FRPP race brake cooling ducts, Motul 600 race brake fluid, FRPP trans cooling scoop, AEM intake tube kit, oil catch can-pass side only, FRPP TRACKEY,SilverHorse gas filler lid.MMD satin black tail light surrounds,MMD Carbon fiber wrapped hood gas struts, projector headlights w/sequential turn signals and emergencies,rear brake/emergencies sequencers.CSI protective smoke head light covers-daytime use only, satin black LS faux gas cap.Honeycomb ELEANOR grill w/hidden LED HALO fogs,honeycomb front lower grill,limo tint on rear glass ONLY,LED interior, license plate, and trunk lighting, satin silver billet e-brake handle, mirror adj.knob ,shifter ball,rear seatbelt mounting covers.Eibach Sportline road racing lowering springs(installed by Eibach), FRPP 1pc. aluminium drive shaft,Bama "tunes for life", Kooks long tube headers,Kooks cat delete offroad X-pipe,resonator delete over axle pipes,On-3-Go muffler deletes.
Custom smoke/nickel chrome, LIGHTWEIGHT 19X10 wheels-295×30×19 fronts-295x30x19 rears w/Hoosier R6 tyres for spirited driving, Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on stock RED rims for inclement monsoon weather, Carbotech brake pads, race red Brembo calipers,FRPP GT500 rear rotors conversion, MGW Race spec.III shifter,Whiteline trans mount bushing, J&M adjustable panhard bar.Dual clutch transmission fluids,

(just a SMIDGEON of mods compared to most of "MY BOSSBROS") All LS take-off parts are packaged up..... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:   

#20 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,449 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 L S # 482 blk/red
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

Couldn't the older sleave still be in good conditionle? So your engine ran with no sleeve? Interesting details.actually I'm a little confused.
<p><p> 2012 LAGUNA SECA Black/Race Red: The FIRST year of the RETURN of the Boss 302, (Gen.II) Road-Race ready.
L O - J A C K theft recovery system.
Pedestal wing with GT-500 Gurney flap,modified fr. splitter.Halon fire extinguisher.Cervini ram air hood w/heat extractors. Recaro racing seats, race red rear seat delete brace bar,4pt.race red seatbelts and harness bar,r.r. front splitter adj.rods,r.r.coil covers and r.r.shock tower brace.LS race gauge pack.FRPP race brake cooling ducts, Motul 600 race brake fluid, FRPP trans cooling scoop, AEM intake tube kit, oil catch can-pass side only, FRPP TRACKEY,SilverHorse gas filler lid.MMD satin black tail light surrounds,MMD Carbon fiber wrapped hood gas struts, projector headlights w/sequential turn signals and emergencies,rear brake/emergencies sequencers.CSI protective smoke head light covers-daytime use only, satin black LS faux gas cap.Honeycomb ELEANOR grill w/hidden LED HALO fogs,honeycomb front lower grill,limo tint on rear glass ONLY,LED interior, license plate, and trunk lighting, satin silver billet e-brake handle, mirror adj.knob ,shifter ball,rear seatbelt mounting covers.Eibach Sportline road racing lowering springs(installed by Eibach), FRPP 1pc. aluminium drive shaft,Bama "tunes for life", Kooks long tube headers,Kooks cat delete offroad X-pipe,resonator delete over axle pipes,On-3-Go muffler deletes.
Custom smoke/nickel chrome, LIGHTWEIGHT 19X10 wheels-295×30×19 fronts-295x30x19 rears w/Hoosier R6 tyres for spirited driving, Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on stock RED rims for inclement monsoon weather, Carbotech brake pads, race red Brembo calipers,FRPP GT500 rear rotors conversion, MGW Race spec.III shifter,Whiteline trans mount bushing, J&M adjustable panhard bar.Dual clutch transmission fluids,

(just a SMIDGEON of mods compared to most of "MY BOSSBROS") All LS take-off parts are packaged up..... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:   

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·