Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2012 Boss 302 Engine Failure

38 replies to this topic

#21 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 958 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

The sleeve mentioned is a silicone o-ring. The ring does dampen vibration which interferes with the sensor operation.

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#22 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:54 AM

Actually the old sleeve was installed, but in addition to a new sleeve, also an "o" ring was required to snug up the fit to keep the sensor from vibrating, or at least that is how it was explained to me.  As 302 HiPro indicated above, there evidently was a running production change between 2012 and 2013 model years and some kind of change to the way the sensor is mounted must have been one of the changes.  Thanks!

Dale

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#23 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 958 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:10 PM

Interesting.  When I changed the Crank Sensor all I added was the O-Ring.

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#24 BallwinBoss

BallwinBoss

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 225 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:07 PM

Sorry, kind of weighing in on this a little late.  As many of you know I had a engine failure with about 6K miles on my Boss.  Threw the rod through the bottom of the engine block.  Nasty deal.  Dealership told me Ford wouldn't cover it as it happened at the track. I had them call it in and in 3 days a new long block was shipped up from Memphis.  Transmission housing was cracked and that was replaced as well.  While it was there I had them install a braided clutch line.  Wish I would have gotten a new clutch as well as it was all torn apart.  All this was covered and I didn't see a bill for one cent.  Tells me something about Ford and Ford Racing.  Dealership told me that Ford didn't want to see it in the shop again and I don't blame them.  Figure after all this they sold the car at a loss. 

Unfortunately I have the problem with the O-Ring sensor, found I get the CEL and go into limp mode when taking a hard right turn and immediately get on the gas.  Only seems to happen with the Red Key.  Now that everything is out of warranty I'm thinking a tune.

#25 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:03 AM

Hi all,

Just a quick update.  The Boss is running really great now and the new engine is broken in.  Had it dyno'ed for baseline numbers and got 404 rwhp and 365 rwtq.  I'm happy with these numbers.  Only mod so far is a 3" cat back Magnaflow exhaust and Ford Racing Lowering Kit.  I have a Vortech Novi 2200SL Supercharger Tuner Kit in boxes in my garage waiting to be installed.  I have a few days break from work beginning next weekend and plan on starting the install then.  To try and better handle the additional power expected I purchased Nitto NT05 tires, 255/40ZR19's front and 305/35ZR19's rear, with Niche Essen Wheels.  I preferred to have kept the stock wheels, but from what I've read on the forums, 305's don't do to well on the stock rear 9.5 inch Boss rims.  Any other upgrade suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks to all for your input.

Dale 

#26 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,449 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 L S # 482 blk/red
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:12 AM

305s did not do well on my 10 inch rims either.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160831_092523.jpg

<p><p> 2012 LAGUNA SECA Black/Race Red: The FIRST year of the RETURN of the Boss 302, (Gen.II) Road-Race ready.
L O - J A C K theft recovery system.
Pedestal wing with GT-500 Gurney flap,modified fr. splitter.Halon fire extinguisher.Cervini ram air hood w/heat extractors. Recaro racing seats, race red rear seat delete brace bar,4pt.race red seatbelts and harness bar,r.r. front splitter adj.rods,r.r.coil covers and r.r.shock tower brace.LS race gauge pack.FRPP race brake cooling ducts, Motul 600 race brake fluid, FRPP trans cooling scoop, AEM intake tube kit, oil catch can-pass side only, FRPP TRACKEY,SilverHorse gas filler lid.MMD satin black tail light surrounds,MMD Carbon fiber wrapped hood gas struts, projector headlights w/sequential turn signals and emergencies,rear brake/emergencies sequencers.CSI protective smoke head light covers-daytime use only, satin black LS faux gas cap.Honeycomb ELEANOR grill w/hidden LED HALO fogs,honeycomb front lower grill,limo tint on rear glass ONLY,LED interior, license plate, and trunk lighting, satin silver billet e-brake handle, mirror adj.knob ,shifter ball,rear seatbelt mounting covers.Eibach Sportline road racing lowering springs(installed by Eibach), FRPP 1pc. aluminium drive shaft,Bama "tunes for life", Kooks long tube headers,Kooks cat delete offroad X-pipe,resonator delete over axle pipes,On-3-Go muffler deletes.
Custom smoke/nickel chrome, LIGHTWEIGHT 19X10 wheels-295×30×19 fronts-295x30x19 rears w/Hoosier R6 tyres for spirited driving, Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on stock RED rims for inclement monsoon weather, Carbotech brake pads, race red Brembo calipers,FRPP GT500 rear rotors conversion, MGW Race spec.III shifter,Whiteline trans mount bushing, J&M adjustable panhard bar.Dual clutch transmission fluids,

(just a SMIDGEON of mods compared to most of "MY BOSSBROS") All LS take-off parts are packaged up..... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:   

#27 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:08 PM

Paxton Supercharger is installed on the Boss :spend:.   Waiting on an email with base tune file from JPC Racing so I can upload into ecu.  Can't start it without it.  Will then drive it to Burnyzz Speedshop in Ocala, FL for dyno tuning.  What was supposed to be an 8-10 hour project took 4 days.  Mainly because this was my first supercharger install.  But also, the supercharger kit was designed for a GT and there were additional modifications necessary due to the differences between the GT and the Boss.  Had to figure out the differences as the install progressed.   But all in all, was a great experience.  Can't wait to take it for a drive.  Thanks again to all for your input.

Dale

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161002_184651_resized.jpg
  • 20161003_185504_resized.jpg
  • 20161005_144429_resized.jpg
  • 20161005_144440_resized.jpg

#28 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:10 AM

Dale:

Nice post.

"due to the differences between the GT and the Boss." [SIC]. The 2 that I think of is the intake manifold / TB orientation, and the Boss has a standard engine oil cooler attached to the bottom radiator hose and oil filter base differences.

Looks like you did a nice install job, plus it always takes me more time just to clean parts!

OBTW, Now you need a set of LTH and X-Pipe. Exhaust mods really wake up this Boss 302 Hi-Po U Code engine.

All the Best,
302 Hi Pro

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#29 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

Sorry that I haven't posted in awhile.  Been crazy busy with work the last few months.  Decided not to go with long tube headers but did go with x-pipe when I installed the cat back Magnaflow exhaust.  Had the Boss dyno tuned twice locally in Ocala.  The first tune yielded 630 rwhp and 455 lbs/ft rwt at 11.2 psi of boost.  Was having issues with idle and deceleration so took it back for a second tune and tweaking and it yielded 674 rwhp and 496 lbs/ft rwt at 11.2 psi of boost, but now had issues with idle and acceleration.  Was wanting to delete the cats so deleted them and upgraded the coil packs at the same time and had another tune done this time remotely by JMS Racing.  Received a base tune by email from JMS and uploaded into the Boss.  Data logged idle and cruise and sent back to JMS.  After tweaking, JMS sent a second upload and instructions to data log wide open throttle from 3k to 5.5k rpm's.  Did so and sent log back to JMS.  The 3k to 5.5k log revealed a fuel imbalance between left and right cylinder banks, so did a KAM reset and idle and crank position sensor relearn and relogged at 3k to 5.5k rpm's.  It appears the fuel imbalance was a learned behavior that was carried over into the new tune and the resets corrected the problem.  Did a final log from 3k to 8k and tune was good to go.  All issues corrected  :dance: .  Not saying that dyno tuning is not the way to go, but tuning and logging under real time driving conditions seems to me to be better, and it only cost $200 at JMS.   There is a car show/dyno day coming up at a local speed shop in February so will have the Boss dyno'ed again then.   Seat of the pants feel says the Boss is performing much better.  Anxious to see the results.   Thanks all!

Dale

Edited by daleclaytor, 29 January 2017 - 03:34 PM.

• TymeSlayer and 302 Hi Pro like this

#30 dsls584

dsls584

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2016 GT w/PP
  • Boss 302's Year:Decline

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:06 AM

"Looking at the new engine pics, I see you also received the new style Cam Phaser Acutators, they have a larger electrical connector. This was a running production change made in late production 2012 MY Boss 302's. Also, the January 2013 date is good to see as Ford ceased Boss 302 U-Code engine long block production a few years ago."

What date code would I look for on the door sill plate that indicate the new Cam Phase Actuators are included? I would like to get back into a Boss and am leaning toward a 2013 but would go with a 2012 that included the running changes made by Ford.

#31 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:16 AM

"Looking at the new engine pics, I see you also received the new style Cam Phaser Acutators, they have a larger electrical connector. This was a running production change made in late production 2012 MY Boss 302's. Also, the January 2013 date is good to see as Ford ceased Boss 302 U-Code engine long block production a few years ago."
What date code would I look for on the door sill plate that indicate the new Cam Phase Actuators are included? I would like to get back into a Boss and am leaning toward a 2013 but would go with a 2012 that included the running changes made by Ford.

I don't know the exact dates of FMC RPC's made for the engine wiring harness, but my car was built durning the end of November 2011 and has the larger cam phaser connectors.

Looks like someone had been doing their homework!

Good luck with the hunt,
2HP

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#32 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:17 AM

As far as engine failures, (original post topic), back in the day, FMC had no problem replacing a blown Boss 302 U-Code engine under warranty even when they were towed in to the dealership service department directly from the race track.

FMC promoted the Boss 302 as a track ready Mustang, and then stood behind their product. Fortunately, the Boss 302 "Hi-Po" engine as developed by Ford Racing, (now Ford Performance), is an extremely stout engine and experienced very few engine failures.

Remember, the U-Code Hi-Po engine has all "Forged" internals, and has 6 bolt main bearings! This is what led me to owning my very first Mustang.

Some Engine!
2HP

Edited by 302 Hi Pro, 31 January 2017 - 05:37 AM.

• TymeSlayer likes this

#33 snake

snake

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2001 SVT Cobra Vert

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:53 AM

Hi all,

Ford is going to cover a new engine under warranty, whew. . . and only had two months left till it expired.  Ford & Lincoln of Ocala, FL is doing the warranty work.  Spun crank and rod bearings on cylinders 3 & 7.  Service tech broke down the engine this morning and allowed me to take pics, what a mess.  I've never seen so much metal from spun bearings before.  Tech wasn't sure what caused the bearing failures, but oil sump screen was completely stopped up with metal shards and fine filings.  You can see the large amount of metal in the windage tray picture below.  I have to say that Pam and Hob in service and Micah the Tech working on my engine have been really great throughout this whole ordeal.  Ford Motor Company didn't hesitate to honor the warranty.  See pics below:

attachicon.gif20160826_141333_resized_1.jpgattachicon.gif20160826_141401_resized_1.jpgattachicon.gif20160826_142115_resized_1.jpgattachicon.gif20160826_142953_resized_1.jpgattachicon.gif20160826_143004_resized_1.jpgattachicon.gif20160826_143038_resized_1.jpg

Micah says he will have new engine installed and the Boss ready to go by Wednesday  :) .  Then after break in and test runs, the Boss is getting boost.  Just ordered a JPC Paxton Street Fighter Blower Kit from Justin's Performance Center, Millersville, Maryland.  Should be fun  :yahoo: .

With 9500 miles on the clock, my check engine light flashed, and anything over 2000 rpm made a rattle noise inside the engine. Full warranty replacement with a '13 long block. Service said there was some metal in the oil filter and pan, but did not do a teardown. Needless to say, I bought a reasonably priced basic and powertrain extenson from Ford before original warranty expired. I have 8k on new engine. It's been fine. Glad you had similar results.

Previous Ford Power:

'69 Mach I CJ

'70 Boss 302

'67 GT 350

'84 GT Turbo

'89 5.0 Coupe

'65 Coupe

'84 Aurora 289 Cobra Replica

'01 SVT Cobra Vert

'84 GT 350 Anniv.

#34 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Hi All,

I know this is an older thread and I haven't posted in a while.  But, just a quick update.  Since my last post a year ago, a lot has been going on.  Have done numerous upgrades to include a BBK 90mm  throttle body, Lethal Performance return style fuel system, ID 1000 fuel injectors, BBK 1 7/8" long tube headers, cat and muffler deletes, Hotchkis sub-frame connectors and K member x-brace, Tremec T56 Magnum XL tranny and short throw shifter, Spec Clutches Spec 3 clutch (had a spec 5 and didn't like it), Driveshaft Shop one piece driveshaft, Hotchkis upper and lower rear control arms, and Ford Racing lowering springs.  Last dyno'ed at 740 rwhp and 551 lb/ft torque with just bolt ons.  The Boss motor is awsome.  Have ran over 50, WannaGoFast 1/2 mile runs at wide open throttle and have had zero problems with the engine.  The stock MT82 tranny didn't hold up to the extra power, so replaced it with the Tremec in August.  4.10 rear end gears and a wrap silver on black are next.  If anyone is interested, please check out YouTube channel 212Boss302.  I've just started the channel and am learning to shoot and edit video, so recent posted videos are pretty basic.  But, I did manage to get some video of the dyno tuning and the WannaGoFast 1/2 Mile Shootout in Ocala, Florida a few weeks ago.  I plan to video log the 4.10 gear replacement and the wrap when it happens and will post on the 212Boss302 YouTube channel.  Will be going to the WannaGoFast 1/2 Mile Shootout in Dallas, Texas in April and will post video of that also.   I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Years.  Until next time, God Bless.

Dale

• TymeSlayer and Tl9437 like this

#35 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 3,125 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew FX4 - 2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

That 2012 is a real beauty and push all that RWHP is awesome. The car looks like it's in excellent shape too!

• Tl9437 likes this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

#36 WHO DA

WHO DA

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Canada, Western
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302 (GHIG)
  • Boss 302's Year:2013
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

How are you finding that smaller pulley? I tried that pulley first to hit that 11psi range and found it was slipping at higher rpm, boost would fall off. Had to go with one size bigger pulley and it held strong, ended up making more boost than the slipping smaller pulley. Only hitting 9psi on average, maybe touch 10 in the last few rpm. Are you running an 8 rib belt? Thatd be my next attempt to get that smaller pulley to grab.
Cheers to a fellow Paxton owner!!

Edited by WHO DA, 01 February 2018 - 08:59 PM.

#37 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:37 PM

It could be your belt.  What belt are you running?  I have 6 rib pulleys with a Vortech Engineering 6 rib belt P/N 2A046-031 and haven't seen any slippage up to 7800 rpm's on the dyno logs.  Also have ran over sixty 1/2 miles runs with no problems.  I received the green Gates belt with the supercharger kit but went with Vortech belt since it was made by Vortech for the Vortech/Paxton superchargers.  Recommend you check it out before you spend $750+ on new pulleys, IMHO.

Dale

Edited by daleclaytor, 05 February 2018 - 12:38 PM.

#38 WHO DA

WHO DA

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Canada, Western
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302 (GHIG)
  • Boss 302's Year:2013
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

It could be your belt.  What belt are you running?  I have 6 rib pulleys with a Vortech Engineering 6 rib belt P/N 2A046-031 and haven't seen any slippage up to 7800 rpm's on the dyno logs.  Also have ran over sixty 1/2 miles runs with no problems.  I received the green Gates belt with the supercharger kit but went with Vortech belt since it was made by Vortech for the Vortech/Paxton superchargers.  Recommend you check it out before you spend $750+ on new pulleys, IMHO.

Dale

Ya it’s not very appealing to have to tear everything apart and change pulleys, for both cash and labor reasons. Just changing belts is a royal P.I.T.A. and few hours labor. I’m running the same green back belt I received with the kit as most people said “that’s the belt you want”. Interesting thought thou, wouldn’t have suspected the belt itself was the issue (tension aside, which is also good). I think I’ll try the Paxton belt and give the smaller pulley a shot again, maybe you just saved me a pile of wasted cash ;).

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the smaller pulley where some guys got it to work and some guys couldn’t get it to bite. Fingers crossed, that 11psi range as my initial target from the beginning!

Cheers

#39 daleclaytor

daleclaytor

Dale

• Southeast Region
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

Cool, let us know how it goes. 

Reply to this topic