Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Parnelli Jones Autograph w Dash Removal

Parnelli Jones Autograph Dash Removal

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 156 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 Laguna Seca
  • Boss 302's Year:2013
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:22 PM

Hello Boss 302 Members,

I recently had my passenger side dash panel signed and numbered by Mr. Parnelli Jones.  As I am certain you are all familiar, Mr. Jones raced the original 302's in the 1969 and 1970 Trans-Am series and won the title in 1970.  Below I have attached some photos and a video of how I removed my dash panel if others are interested.  I am not an expert so use at own risk.

Mr. Jones works with an agent named Jim Dilamarter with Sports VIPs based in Carson, CA.  To have your part autographed I would recommend emailing him at ( jim@arendacapital.com ) Mr. Dilamarter is a star in his own right serving as a mechanic on the 69' - 70' Boss team and eventually went on to become a chief mechanic, general manager, and F1 team manager.

The charge for the autograph alone is $100 and is done in the form of a tax-deductible donation to the Page Jones Foundation Fund housed within the Pittsburgh Foundation.  If you would like the dash numbered or a photograph of Mr. Jones that can also be arranged via Mr. Dilamarter.  I donated an additional $50 to the fund for a photo of Parnelli holding my dash panel and the LS# inscription.  All in all, I believe it was worth every penny to support a very worthy cause (TBI Research and Support) and have the legend associated with our cars sign my dash.   Here is where you would donate:  http://godspeedpj.com/ 

Note: Once the donation is complete you will receive an instant email notification of your donation.  Simply print this off and place it in the box with your dash panel.  Print a 2nd copy and keep it for your taxes.

The process itself (after dash panel removal ) is pretty straightforward.  I took my dash panel and placed post-it notes with small directions (see photos), wrapped a new (unused) paint marker with small directions taped on, and included an old digital camera again with small directions taped on (on/off, zoom, etc.).  My thinking was to make the process as easy for Mr. Jones and his team as possible.  Additionally, it proves that the dash being signed in the photo is mine and not a generic one...

Note:  If you want a photo you will need to send a camera.  I could not find a disposable camera at any of my local stores so I included an old digital one of my own. 

After marking the items to send, I took my dash panel and items to FedEx.  With 3-Day shipping, $500 in Insurance, and packing it was about $30 each way.  You must pay for shipping to and from, so with the return label using the same specifications, it totaled around $60.  The items arrived in outstanding condition and I could clearly see that FedEx took great care in packing the items for return shipping.  They also placed 'FRAGILE' stickers on every side of the box which was appreciated.

The marker I used is made by Prismacolor.  It was the one most highly recommended by the Shelby guys as well as autograph aficionados/collectors.  I am neither, so I took their word and it worked out very well.  Here is the link to the marker I purchased:  https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have linked a video I created of the dash removal process and some photos to hopefully help anyone interested.

** Sadly, having worked with enough lawyers throughout my life, I must say this posting, video, and photos are for entertainment purposes only.  I am not liable if you should follow these directions and injure yourself, your vehicle/property, or your final autograph results do not mimic mine.  The above was based solely on my individual experience **

VIDEO: 

I tried to place the photos in an 'order of operations' to hopefully help answer any questions that may exist.  That said, if you have any questions on the process please let me know.  I am happy to help.

DISCONNECT YOUR NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE

REMOVE THESE FOUR SCREWS ( 7mm Socket )
STEP%201%20_%20Glovebox%20Removal_zpsm3n

DRIVERS SIDE GLOVE BOX TAB
Drivers%20Side%20Glovebox%20Tab_zpsrqvjx

PASSENGER SIDE GLOVE BOX TAB
Passenger%20Side%20Glovebox%20Tab_zpsksr

UNDER DASH CONTROLLER.  REMOVE THE FOUR HIGHLIGHTED SCREWS  (TORX HEAD REQUIRED)  ONCE SCREWS REMOVED THE UNIT CAN HANG WITHOUT ISSUE
STEP%202%20_%20Under%20Dash%20Controller

REMOVE DASH PANEL BRACKET.  SIMPLY PUSH THE TAB
STEP%203%20_%20Under%20Dash%20Controller

REMOVE AIRBAG BOLTS (8mm Socket) and SEPARATE ELECTRIC CABLE AT REAR
STEP%204%20_%20Airbag%20Bolts_zpsmabdljm

WITH AIRBAG DISCONNECTED SLIDE UNIT TOWARDS PASSENGER SEAT TO UNSEAT AIRBAG AND PANEL TABS
STEP%205%20_%20Panel%20Removal_zpsw9bbaw

USING A TACK PULLER OR FLATHEAD SCREWDRIVER, PULL PLASTIC HOUSING FROM UNDER THE STEEL TABS (MOST DIFFICULT PART OF PROCESS) TAKE YOUR TIME
STEP%206%20_%20Seperate%20Panel%20from%2

ONCE REMOVED - LABEL PANEL IF YOU WISH...( I LABELED THE PANEL, THE PAINT PEN, and MY CAMERA)
STEP%207%20_%20Label%20Your%20Items_zpsx

THE MORE YOU LABEL THE EASIER THE PROCESS WILL BE AND THE HAPPIER PARNELLI WILL BE....
STEP%208%20_%20Parnelli%20Jones%20Signs%

To reinstall simply reverse the process and once it is all back in place, reconnect your negative batter terminal.

Best,
 Charles

Edited by cholmes1, 14 March 2017 - 10:48 AM.

• TymeSlayer, 302 Hi Pro, Rich B. and 2 others like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 Bwlandu

Bwlandu

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 58 posts
  • Region:Canada, Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

Wow. That's totally awesome and worth every penny in my opinion!! Your LS is even more unique!
  • Rich B. and cholmes1 like this

#3 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,446 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:30 AM

Agree, very unique and creative. Was thinking could send the entire car to them or invite Mr. Jones for a week's free vacation in ME if I could get the dashagraph. Kidding of coarse but wonder if a nice plaque could be done with car # and photo inc. of coarse. Wasn't CS doing that at one point? No, wouldn't be as genuine as actual signature on dash itself. Under hood frame brace would be really cool too, similiar to autograph on the intake CAI's.

Edited by Rich B., 15 February 2017 - 06:31 AM.

#4 Bwlandu

Bwlandu

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 58 posts
  • Region:Canada, Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

Love your idea Rich B.  I'm not as motivated as cholmes1 to take anything apart and ship it across the border, but some type of standard plate/plaque that could be signed and sent back for a donation would be killer.  Some kind of adhesive plate that would integrate well somewhere.

• Rich B. likes this

#5 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

Based off my interactions with Mr. Jones, I think he would be happy to sign anything associated with our cars. His main concern in speaking with him was that items would end up on eBay which he was very much against.

If you're looking for under hood items you could send your fuse panel. Much easier to remove and much cheaper to ship.
  • TymeSlayer and Rich B. like this

#6 Tnelson184

Tnelson184

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 65 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Boss 302

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

Wow, that is so bad ass! Might have to do this myself! Did you do any type of clear coat over it, or is that why you went with a paint marker?

#7 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

Thanks. No clear was applied. Shelby guys said that it messes up the shine balance between the panels and, depending on sun exposure, yellows where the OEM panels just mildly fade.

Given that it is a reflective paint he signed in, I feel comfortable with it lasting for many years.

Hope you have it done, it really is a great addition to the interior

#8 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 919 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

I did the same a few years back. A very nice addition to our already classic cars.
  • cholmes1 likes this

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#9 JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo

Jeff

• 966 posts
  • Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

I would recommend you consider ordering a second dash panel as I did for my Shelby.  I sent the second dash in when Carroll was still alive and got it signed.  I then had a dealer install as I didn't want to mess with the airbag and it really wasn't very expensive given how I value my time.  The old unsigned panel I stored away.  When I traded my Shelby in for the Boss the dealer wasn't going to give me jack for the signed panel so I I had them remove and replace with the old one.   What's great about this is you never have to worry about it going out of stock and you always have the option of keeping it, and as I have, place it on a shelf.

• TymeSlayer and 302 Hi Pro like this
Posted Image

#10 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

I would recommend you consider ordering a second dash panel as I did for my Shelby.  I sent the second dash in when Carroll was still alive and got it signed.  I then had a dealer install as I didn't want to mess with the airbag and it really wasn't very expensive given how I value my time.  The old unsigned panel I stored away.  When I traded my Shelby in for the Boss the dealer wasn't going to give me jack for the signed panel so I I had them remove and replace with the old one.   What's great about this is you never have to worry about it going out of stock and you always have the option of keeping it, and as I have, place it on a shelf.

That is a great idea, especially given that Parnelli is going to be 84 this year.  Unfortunately, I think the 302 replacement covers sell for around $350, but if you could find a nice one from salvage that would be even better...

Found here for those interested: http://parts.autonat...inst-finish-pnl

P/N: CR3Z-5804338-BA  (Just make certain you select the 'Metal Mesh' option)

Edited by cholmes1, 08 March 2017 - 02:11 PM.

• TymeSlayer likes this

#11 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

CHolmes1:

Great idea and a great post thread.

Thanks so much for posting and sharing,
302 Hi Pro
  • cholmes1 likes this

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#12 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,423 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 L S # 482 blk/red
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:57 AM

cholmes1-- YOU "DA - MAN" !

Attached Files

• Attached File  453.jpeg   106.21KB   0 downloads

Edited by LSECO, 11 March 2017 - 12:59 AM.

• cholmes1 likes this
<p><p> 2012 LAGUNA SECA Black/Race Red: The FIRST year of the RETURN of the Boss 302, (Gen.II) Road-Race ready.
L O - J A C K theft recovery system.
Pedestal wing with GT-500 Gurney flap,modified fr. splitter.Halon fire extinguisher.Cervini ram air hood w/heat extractors. Recaro racing seats, race red rear seat delete brace bar,4pt.race red seatbelts and harness bar,r.r. front splitter adj.rods,r.r.coil covers and r.r.shock tower brace.LS race gauge pack.FRPP race brake cooling ducts, Motul 600 race brake fluid, FRPP trans cooling scoop, AEM intake tube kit, oil catch can-pass side only, FRPP TRACKEY,SilverHorse gas filler lid.MMD satin black tail light surrounds,MMD Carbon fiber wrapped hood gas struts, projector headlights w/sequential turn signals and emergencies,rear brake/emergencies sequencers.CSI protective smoke head light covers-daytime use only, satin black LS faux gas cap.Honeycomb ELEANOR grill w/hidden LED HALO fogs,honeycomb front lower grill,limo tint on rear glass ONLY,LED interior, license plate, and trunk lighting, satin silver billet e-brake handle, mirror adj.knob ,shifter ball,rear seatbelt mounting covers.Eibach Sportline road racing lowering springs(installed by Eibach), FRPP 1pc. aluminium drive shaft,Bama "tunes for life", Kooks long tube headers,Kooks cat delete offroad X-pipe,resonator delete over axle pipes,On-3-Go muffler deletes.
Custom smoke/nickel chrome, LIGHTWEIGHT 19X10 wheels-295×30×19 fronts-295x30x19 rears w/Hoosier R6 tyres for spirited driving, Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on stock RED rims for inclement monsoon weather, Carbotech brake pads, race red Brembo calipers,FRPP GT500 rear rotors conversion, MGW Race spec.III shifter,Whiteline trans mount bushing, J&M adjustable panhard bar.Dual clutch transmission fluids,

(just a SMIDGEON of mods compared to most of "MY BOSSBROS") All LS take-off parts are packaged up..... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:   

#13 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,446 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

Doesn't Mr. Jones also sign the large suitable for frame Boss photos? A photo enhanced of the actually owned Boss w/current owner and his autograph wouldn't be too bad either (not the owner, meaning PJ).
  • 302 Hi Pro likes this

#14 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

Mr. Jones seems to be willing to sign anything Boss related, his main concern is making certain items do not end up on eBay.  So in the case of a photo of your car or you with your car I am certain he would be happy to help.  Jim Dilamarter would certainly be able to provide more information.

Best,

Charles

• 302 Hi Pro and Rich B. like this

#15 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

Doesn't Mr. Jones also sign the large suitable for frame Boss photos? A photo enhanced of the actually owned Boss w/current owner and his autograph wouldn't be too bad either (not the owner, meaning PJ).

Yes, back in early 2012 I purchased from Ford Motor Company, a framed 2012 KB Boss 302 photo with P. Jones autograph and black-brass engraved Boss ID plate. Nicely matted and all under glass.

It was nicely done, glad that I purchase this item. Not the best pic, but here it is:

20150424_173629_zpsjt92g93u.jpg

302 Hi Pro
  • TymeSlayer, Rich B. and cholmes1 like this

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·