Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to me Boss, CEL on

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmylb012

Jimmylb012

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 2012
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

Howdy y'all, last year about March I bought a 2012 boss. Well I bought it at a 3rd party dealership with a warranty. Anyways noticed the CEL light came on. I have not really thought much about it because I really don't drive the car much. Always working in the oilfield. Here is what I do know the car has looks headers on it, don't know for sure if they are long tube or Shorty's. The car has the roush exhaust system on and I am thinking that there are no Cats on the the car. I think that is my CEL issue. But anther issue is the car was turned with act but not returned to stock before sale. I know this because top speed limiter has been removed. There is an sct decal on the front shock tower that's how I know sct did the tune. My question is what is the best way to sort this out need to pass inspection but with not a lot of details to go on for eliminated CEL. Car does run great and pulls very well.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 fking1

fking1

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 205 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:13 Boss 302

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Having had several problems wit the dreaded CEL, was only able to solve it by going to my dealer and get it analyzed.

Solved but cost me.

#3 Jimmylb012

Jimmylb012

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

Going thanks, was going to get it checked out at the local dealership, but they only work off appointments and nearest one available was May!

#4 TarHeelToe

TarHeelToe

New Boss 302 Member

• Southeast Region
  • 208 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Competition Orange and Black

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

Howdy y'all, last year about March I bought a 2012 boss. Well I bought it at a 3rd party dealership with a warranty. Anyways noticed the CEL light came on. I have not really thought much about it because I really don't drive the car much. Always working in the oilfield. Here is what I do know the car has looks headers on it, don't know for sure if they are long tube or Shorty's. The car has the roush exhaust system on and I am thinking that there are no Cats on the the car. I think that is my CEL issue. But anther issue is the car was turned with act but not returned to stock before sale. I know this because top speed limiter has been removed. There is an sct decal on the front shock tower that's how I know sct did the tune. My question is what is the best way to sort this out need to pass inspection but with not a lot of details to go on for eliminated CEL. Car does run great and pulls very well.

Assume you have Roush axle-backs? If so you still have cats. I have the Roush and my car has been throwing P0420 and P0430 when I drive on a longer trip. This may be your issue. Mine definitely runs rich (always drive with TracKey) and I think it's eating the cats alive. My service guy at the local dealership told me Ford cats are good for 8 years/80,000 miles. Otherwise they're $2,000 to replace.

I'd suggest buying a bluetooth code reader and pairing it with an app called Torq Lite on your phone; they're cheap and come in handy. Or you can swing by an auto parts store and they'll read the code for you. Next time mine fires off I'm taking her to the dealer. Good luck.

2012 Competition Orange/Black, Roush axle-backs, JLT catch can, FRPP T-Springs & FR500C LCA's, BMR Panhard, AM Laguna-Seca wheels 19x9/10, MT Street Comps 255/40 & 285/35

Suspension upgrades

#5 Jimmylb012

Jimmylb012

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

You may be right on the roush axel back, but I was doing the oil change the other day and did not see the cats, I think they were deleted with the headers. I had an OBDI code reader but lent it to a friend of mine a while back.(Before I bought the car), so hopefully I can get it back soon.

#6 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

Jim:

If the car was tuned with an SCT hand held Tuner, and you do not have the same device, then your PCM might be locked. Ford Service will be the best source to tell you. The might have to wipe it and download the OEM tune.

Contact the selling dealer to see if they have it or can get it for you.

Keep us posted,
302 Hi Pro

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#7 Jimmylb012

Jimmylb012

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the help, I bought the car in Arlington, but live 5 hours away. Tomorrow she is going to get the codes pulled on the car to find out what they are. I do have a warranty that I got when I purchased the car, going to have to call them anyway. 4th gear sycro is grinding when trying to shift, A/C I think has a leak, does not blow cold any more, so try to get everything fixed at once. I was wrong earlier car does have cats, had it up on stands today. Guess after I see what codes it is throwing I'll take it to the dealer, only got one key for it so need to get another one programed. Kindof debating the red key or if is still available. The only key I have has been programed to my Key but it does not interfer with performance. Thanks for the help ya'll, I'll let you know what happens.

#8 TarHeelToe

TarHeelToe

New Boss 302 Member

• Southeast Region
  • 208 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Competition Orange and Black

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

You may be right on the roush axel back, but I was doing the oil change the other day and did not see the cats, I think they were deleted with the headers. I had an OBDI code reader but lent it to a friend of mine a while back.(Before I bought the car), so hopefully I can get it back soon.

Ah, 10-4, missed the headers part. Had to have my A/C compressor replaced under warranty btw. Hope you get it all figured out.

2012 Competition Orange/Black, Roush axle-backs, JLT catch can, FRPP T-Springs & FR500C LCA's, BMR Panhard, AM Laguna-Seca wheels 19x9/10, MT Street Comps 255/40 & 285/35

Suspension upgrades

#9 Jimmylb012

Jimmylb012

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

Howdy y'all, how about a little update for your reading pleasure. Ok my wife took the car by AutoZone and had the codes pulled. We have codes PO172 and Po175, meaning both banks are running rich. So my working theory as of know is when previous owner traded the car in he pulled the JLT cold air kit off. (Who puts a cold air intake sticker on the side window without having one installed). The air filter is the original Ford motor company box. So since previous owner took CIA off he never bothered to return the tune to stock (Guessing more trade in if car goes faster?) Anyway car should have never passed inspection at the dealer with check engine light on, but was sold to me anyway. I'm thinking I may be able to buy the cold air intake and that should fix my issue. (Going to try and get dealership that sold the car to me to pay for the CAI since they knowingly sold the car knowing it would not pass inspection. Wish me luck!) Anyone thinking that this may solve my issue, because to me it seems that with that code the tune is still trying to fuel like it has the CAI intact.

#10 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,348 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

Howdy y'all, how about a little update for your reading pleasure. Ok my wife took the car by AutoZone and had the codes pulled. We have codes PO172 and Po175, meaning both banks are running rich. So my working theory as of know is when previous owner traded the car in he pulled the JLT cold air kit off. (Who puts a cold air intake sticker on the side window without having one installed). The air filter is the original Ford motor company box. So since previous owner took CIA off he never bothered to return the tune to stock (Guessing more trade in if car goes faster?) Anyway car should have never passed inspection at the dealer with check engine light on, but was sold to me anyway. I'm thinking I may be able to buy the cold air intake and that should fix my issue. (Going to try and get dealership that sold the car to me to pay for the CAI since they knowingly sold the car knowing it would not pass inspection. Wish me luck!) Anyone thinking that this may solve my issue, because to me it seems that with that code the tune is still trying to fuel like it has the CAI intact.

That is a very good idea. The Steeda CAI kit that requires a Tune allows much more air into the Intake. The OEM CAI restricts air intake compared to the Steeda CAI Tune kit causing the Rich AFR condition. Limit your driving to avoid cylinder wash down and ring failure. Plus it's not good for your $2k cats.

Let us know how it goes.
302 Hi Pro

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#11 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,521 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:33 AM

Just thinking, the after market tunes can accommodate deleted cats. That circuit though is also what regulates fuel enrichment (well, O2 sensors), so without them? There's nothing there to set back the injector pulse cycle. That's how carbon emissions are controlled at the tail pipes and I guess resonators to control unwanted cabin drone sound the mufflers can't (next thing removed). Under the impression those are sound cancellation not fiberglass pack, correct me if wrong. Look a lot like these: Attached File  image.jpeg   182.3KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   92.4KB   0 downloads

Edited by Rich B., 03 April 2017 - 06:24 AM.

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#12 Jimmylb012

Jimmylb012

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

I crawled under the car the other day, and it looks to have the factory cats. I'm thinking now with the aftermarket tune and the missing cold air intake, the car thinks it is pulling in more air than it actually is therefore running rich on both banks. So going to try and pick up a cold air intake and see if that solves the issue.
  • 302 Hi Pro and Rich B. like this

#13 Jimmylb012

Jimmylb012

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

Howdy ya'll, just got the car back from the Ford dealership, found that the 4th gear was trash along with a broken shaft and syncros. They also had to replace the cracked trans housing. Anyway car is back together, and am happy to say that with the cold air intake it did get rid of the CEL, so all is right in the world, thanks for everyone's input.
  • TymeSlayer likes this

#14 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 936 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

Good news!!!

Sound like the warranty was a good call.

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#15 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,521 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

Hmm, wonder what happened to gears, maybe a drastic misshift? Don't believe that would show a CEL but the intake mod return would from my limited knowledge of this all so far, especially if haphazardly done. But it is desirable to run a bit rich over a bit lean which keeps the engine cooler actually.

My synopsis of it all is that with a 4" or so intake, this is where the MAF is so controls mixing ratios A/F in conjunction with oxy sensors of coarse. The stumbling block here is the manifold itself and TB intake diameters. So with a 4" intake it automatically reduces to 3 1/2" and is restriction. Then with the TB butterfly valve, further more control restriction unless full wide open throttle.

Also look at any photo of aftermarket intake and visually the tube is much larger than what it provides air for, they downsize for the most part. Can it be the OEM design is oversized in itself? I've done and advocate many of these changes myself and the aftermarket industry is certainly sanctioned these days. Think this sums it up, I'm included lol...... Attached File  image.jpeg   81.12KB   0 downloads

This is JLT version- Attached File  image.jpeg   154.53KB   0 downloads

Edited by Rich B., 12 October 2017 - 05:03 AM.

#16 Jimmylb012

Jimmylb012

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

Rich, I think I'm with you on the dramatic miss shift. When I bought the car it always had hell shifting into 4th. As far as the intake, I think the person who own the car had it turned for the intake. Therefore when he traded the car in and pulled off the intake the stock one did not flow as much as the tune was programed for. So it was still fueling with the tune for the cold air intake leading to a rich condition at the O2 sensors. Since installing the cold air intake, the CEL had went away.
  • TymeSlayer and Rich B. like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·