Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Custom tune

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BossyBlue302

BossyBlue302

New Boss 302 Member

• Southeast Region
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

Seen a ton of posts and opinions on trackey and custom tunes. 

I bought my Boss used from a Ford dealer and asked on three occasions if the trackey had been installed.  Was told yes each time.  Long story short, I am not so sure now that it has it. 

I am going to contact Ford and give them the VIN to try to verify if it ever had it or not. 

I did try the IPR and no change. 

I know you have to have a voucher which is worse than a needle in a haystack.  I have found some on Amazon but it appears for Canada  only because it will not ship to the US. 

So here is my question to all your guys out there who know a lot about tuning.  Since the Boss has a silver key side and red key side in the PCM, can a custom tuner like Lunds or JMS install a the tune on the red key only and allow the silver key to be stock mode.  If this is possible it would be a great alternative for those of use who were told it was already installed only to find out it wasn't. 

Also, has anyone heard anything more about the possibility of Ford releasing the Track Cal for the Boss?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 BossyBlue302

BossyBlue302

New Boss 302 Member

• Southeast Region
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Update:  Talked to Ford and fears were confirmed....no Trackey tune ever installed.  Also talked to JMS and they said they could not tune to an individual key.  Shame, it would be a great alternative to the Trackey

• Rich B. likes this

#3 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,449 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

Update:  Talked to Ford and fears were confirmed....no Trackey tune ever installed.  Also talked to JMS and they said they could not tune to an individual key.  Shame, it would be a great alternative to the Trackey

Thought the same thing myself if that could be done (don't think so). With TK (way mentioned many times) activated the center screen will default showing activation and again when 170 deg. engine temp is reached for lopey idle. Have to manually reset for each phase display.

To be con't.: I remember now (extra Cod Liver Oil this morning), wanted to use my TK as regular mode and modify Silver Key for a even more radical program. But think it would interfere with TK parameters, leave well enough alone......

Edited by Rich B., 05 April 2017 - 03:06 AM.

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#4 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

Back in the day, the 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 was an award winning vehicle: it was hailed as the Best Performance Mustang ever made. C&D Top 10 list and the U-Code engine was awarded with Wards Best.

The dual-program PCM was as hailed as an industry first RPO. TK was long awaited by early Boss 302 Owners, CA CARB delayed certification until end of 2011 release.

Many Aftermarket tuners have tried, but Fords dual-path PCM is Bullitt proof. All in all, there is a lot of Automotive history associated with our S197 Boss 302's. Still a great Mustang!

302 Hi Pro

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#5 Tnelson184

Tnelson184

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 65 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Boss 302

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:49 PM

Dang CARB making our TracKey less than Ford intended it to be. I would've loved to see what TracKey was before CARB got their mitts on it!

Not sure if what I was told is true, but I was told on a Facebook group that if you already have TracKey installed you could have another aftermarket tune installed with the silver key and be able to switch between the two.
  • Rich B. likes this

#6 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:47 AM

Was my thoughts exactly, if they were 2 completely independent entities. But if the TK was parasitic on the SK program (t-tapped) it would ruin both. It may only integrate those changes as required for that upgrade while keeping the fundamental stock tune intact. They speak of 600 changes or some number which is a hint to me the foundation of it all is there using SK (Silver Key) and may not be completely separated.

Point is FB could be right if somebody's actually done this, that'd be great. Oops, it appears 2 same topic forums and titles running back to back here this A.M.

Edited by Rich B., 06 April 2017 - 04:11 AM.

#7 schoolboss

schoolboss

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Region:U.S., Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302- School Bus Yellow

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

Back in the day, the 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 was an award winning vehicle: it was hailed as the Best Performance Mustang ever made. C&D Top 10 list and the U-Code engine was awarded with Wards Best.

The dual-program PCM was as hailed as an industry first RPO. TK was long awaited by early Boss 302 Owners, CA CARB delayed certification until end of 2011 release.

Many Aftermarket tuners have tried, but Fords dual-path PCM is Bullitt proof. All in all, there is a lot of Automotive history associated with our S197 Boss 302's. Still a great Mustang!

302 Hi Pro

Been out of the loop for a while here due to medical issues, but getting my car back up and running on the road again....

My tuner says he's cracked it....but you can't do it on a SCT platform, has to be directly ported from the tuner into the 'puter....which could explain why no mail order guys are even bothering to work on it too much.  He uses HP Tuners which allows for a lot more access to the guts of the PCM, cam timing, etc (and emissions readiness on the rear O2's, etc.....by the by, for those that have inspection issues due to long tubes), so we will see.  All of it is way over my pay grade, but car goes up on rollers next week, and going to redo a 93 pump gas tune on silver, and (if what he is saying is true) doing an E85 tune on the red key. 

Will report back if this is successful or not.  Would be a game changer for me if it is....though I suppose a catastrophic failure would also be a game changer!!!

Schoolboss

• Rich B. likes this

2013 Boss 302  #0235- School Bus Yellow- Recaro Sport Seats, 3.73:1 Torsen Rear Differential

Performance Modifications: Cobra Jet Intake Manifold, Twin 65mm Throttle Body, JLT CAI, American Racing Longtube Headers and quad exhaust offroad midpipe, GT500 quad tip axle backs, FRPP T-springs, AE 4" Aluminum Driveshaft, CHE K-member torque brace, CHE driveshaft safety loop, MGW shifter, Boss 302s wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires, billet motor mounts, tuned by Jon Lund II\

More to come.....

#8 GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 38 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Grabber Blue Boss 302 #3459

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:03 PM

Very interesting.

#9 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:40 AM

Asked the question myself back awhile ago. And the answer? My idea was TK on red key as is and another tune of choice on silver key. Have no idea if TK is parasitic upon silver key or the 2 options are completely independent.

Not surprising if it could be done at some point (maybe not today) but the Bosses are getting old (antique plates next year) and not sure if reaping the rewards now is worth the time, effort or money?

#10 Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 53 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

Most of us here drive/drove exclusively with the track key. My silver key was nothing but a spare.

I am tuned now and can't think of a reason why I would want a key with a lesser tune. I want the best, and I want it all the time.

Boss%20sig_zpsugaxjrek%201_zps785x14bl.j

#11 BallwinBoss

BallwinBoss

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 217 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

I've got several thoughts on this one.  Got the Track Key done before I even took delivery.  Used it only at the track (as my wife used to hide it from me) for 4 years.  This last year my warranty expired and I was tired of other guys with Boss 302's walking away from me at the track (straights).  Got several changes done to the drive train.  Removed the Cat's, single piece aluminum drive shaft (thanks Benny), JLT CAI and a custom tune.  I don't know much about tuning a car, I certainly know what it does but couldn't do one myself.

After these changes the Boss puts 410 the rear wheels.  I know it's not just one thing but 410 is a fair amount of power.  I no longer have problems with the other tuned Boss's.  Am able to run with my buddies in their C5 & C6 'vettes.  Never had an issue with BMW M3's or M4's and still don't.  Z06 and the new ZL1 1LE are too much but that's a whole different game.

I can always put the tune back on the Boss after I put the old parts back on but don't know why I'd do that at this point.  Car sounds like it's going to eat you when I start it or rev it up.

Will always be a faster car and a better driver.  For my skills and my $$$ this one works just fine.

Last point here (as I've rambled)...  I just finished a track day with SCCA today.  Car was faster than it ever has been before - and by a lot.  Some of that is the new pavement, some of that is the perfect weather conditions and some of it the tune.  It all adds up.

• TymeSlayer, Ginger and Rich B. like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·