Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Custom tune

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BossyBlue302

BossyBlue302

New Boss 302 Member

• Southeast Region
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

Okay, sorry guys.  I posted this to the Trackey section before and in retrospect I should have put it here.  Forgive me moderators.

Seen a ton of posts and opinions on trackey and custom tunes. 

I bought my Boss used from a Ford dealer and asked on three occasions if the trackey had been installed.  Was told yes each time.  Long story short, I am not so sure now that it has it. 

I am going to contact Ford and give them the VIN to try to verify if it ever had it or not. 

I did try the IPR and no change. 

I know you have to have a voucher which is worse than a needle in a haystack.  I have found some on Amazon but it appears for Canada  only because it will not ship to the US. 

So here is my question to all your guys out there who know a lot about tuning.  Since the Boss has a silver key side and red key side in the PCM, can a custom tuner like Lunds or JMS install a the tune on the red key only and allow the silver key to be stock mode.  If this is possible it would be a great alternative for those of use who were told it was already installed only to find out it wasn't. 

Also, has anyone heard anything more about the possibility of Ford releasing the Track Cal for the Boss?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 BossyBlue302

BossyBlue302

New Boss 302 Member

• Southeast Region
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Update:  Talked to Ford and fears were confirmed....no Trackey tune ever installed.  Also talked to JMS and they said they could not tune to an individual key.  Shame, it would be a great alternative to the Trackey.

#3 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,318 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:45 AM

Process of deduction: 1) Not to add to title(s) confusion but the cogs are turning (more WD-40).
2) We know a vendor tune will accommodate the Silver Key with Tk uninstalled.
3) Nothing to replace TK or install a new TK, period (may be close).
4) Possiblity to install tune though on SK while retaining TK on red key, could it be done?
5) Ideally could have separate more assertive tune on SK while using TK for daily driver with no connection
whatsoever between the two. Of coarse mechanical mods would have to accommodate both SK & TK with
that idea.
6) Would adding tune to SK affect TK that IS installed rendering it forever gone or unusable?

When I post this my list will follow to the margins, nothing the way written. But what if this could be done especially with a hand held and an array of different programs? Time for a topic change and this will be swept under the carpet, sure thing.

Edited by Rich B., 08 April 2017 - 05:00 AM.

#4 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

A few Custom Tune notes:

All Tuners will sell you a hand held Tuner like the SCT X4 or equivalent. Dyno and Mail Order Tunes. First step is to download your OEM Tune to the hand held device. A base Custom Tune is uploaded to your PCM and then perfected on the Dyno. Then it is also loaded on the PCM and your hand held device.

Mail Order Custom Tunes are similar in that you will first download the OEM Tune on the hand held device, then reload your Custom Tune.

You must keep your Custom Tune hand held device with your car. It reads the VIN and it's paired to your PCM. Some devices will accept up to 5 VIN's. If you loose or run over your hand held device, your PCM becomes LOCKED. Only Ford can help you at that point.

If you have the TK activated, the SCT X4 device will download both Silver and Red Key (TK), OEM Tunes, you will then upload your Custom Tune and both keys, Red Key and Silver Key will operate with the same Custom Tune. Custom Tuners have not been able to Crack the Ford Boss Dual Program PCM. Only TK Tune will read the different key chips to run Silver Key or TK Red Key OE Tunes.

Oh, one last item, should your battery voltage drop or loose all power, your PCM is now Bricked, meaning it must be replaced, or Ford might be able to format and reprogram it for you, but then they will void your warranty as provided for in Fords TSB regarding mods and Tunes.

302 Hi Pro
  • Rich B. likes this

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#5 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:32 AM

Thanks on a thorough intro on this O2HP, haven't reached the plateau as yet. My days were with the Hypertech Chips and I'll be damned with Chrysler you had to buy a complete PCM for what you wanted, no alterations. Remember I chose their race version, easy plug and play and it did work.

Now with the Hypertech version (chip change) I had (Corvette) you changed the thermostat to the 160 deg. temp. so the engine ran cooler? I also understand and even with our cars (170 deg. threshold) much hotter temps are required to warm the oil and with combustion factor? Jury's out again on this one......

Only around 245HP in my Corvette but such a lightweight and center of gravity, sat down inside the thing almost on floor boards. Loved how the entire front end lifted off though, hinged to open out over front of car. Could sit on tires to change spark plugs.

Edited by Rich B., 12 April 2017 - 04:48 AM.

#6 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,888 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 - 2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

Oh, one last item, should your battery voltage drop or loose all power, your PCM is now Bricked, meaning it must be replaced, or Ford might be able to format and reprogram it for you, but then they will void your warranty as provided for in Fords TSB regarding mods and Tunes.

302 Hi Pro

Dave,

A bit more clarification please. If I am to understand your post, you're saying if I disconnect the battery, I get locked out of my PCM? I don't think that's correct as we both know we've disconnected the battery often with all the mods we've done. Are you saying this is only in the case of an aftermarket tune? I think I'm missing something here. 

• cholmes1 likes this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket/Fire Extinguisher Mount/Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat -  Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Boss 302 Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015
Sweet Lorraine - Circa September 2015

#7 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 140 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

I am curious on this topic as well.  So if I were to purchase a Lund tune, the device they send would store both my OEM SK and TK tunes and upload the custom Lund tune.  However, if I chose to revert back, I could return to the OEM silver and track key tune I have installed without issue?  Also interested in the battery comment by 2HP.  Given that batteries are disconnected all of the time for safety and modifications, I am curious why this would cause the PCM to 'brick' and a Ford intervention?

Thanks,

Charles

#8 GHIGBoss302

GHIGBoss302

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 73 posts
  • Region:Other
  • Current Vehicle:GHIG Boss 302

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

I am curious on this topic as well.  So if I were to purchase a Lund tune, the device they send would store both my OEM SK and TK tunes and upload the custom Lund tune.  However, if I chose to revert back, I could return to the OEM silver and track key tune I have installed without issue?  Also interested in the battery comment by 2HP.  Given that batteries are disconnected all of the time for safety and modifications, I am curious why this would cause the PCM to 'brick' and a Ford intervention?

Thanks,

Charles

Yes the sct device stores the pcm tunes like it was before you touched it.

I have a few "tune" issues playing with my two step at the track and the first time it freaked me out ,. But i have since learned the issues and i dont have problem any more. Sometimes the sct x4 will have a problem reflashing the tune and give error and says reflash to the stock tune. THen the stock tune wont upload either then you are stuck. Car wont run nothing.. Disconnect the battery for 10 mins reconnect reload the tunes and not a issue. You think the pcm is "bricked" because nothing will be excepted but its not.. THe issue on mine is usually if i try to reload a tune when the pcm is HOT aka driving ,racing etc and the engine is up to normal operation for over 10 mins.. If i wait and let the PCM cool off say 5 mins after a race with the hood up or 10 mins after i get home from a drive. THe tunes load perfect everytime.

I never could find a track key voucher so i went custom tune. I wouldnt have it any other way.. With min mods im putting down 447rwhp and run mid 11's on a bad (aka no prep) track on slicks. My car still gets 24mpg on the highway @80mph .Ive known my tuner for 15 years and he has tuned a lot of cars and not just fords..He doesnt go for max hp ,he goes for max SAFE power. Ive put over 100 1/4 passes on mine so far , and 5k street miles since she was tuned ..Love it,

• Rich B. and cholmes1 like this

2013 GHIG Boss 302 

Mods just a few:

Steeda CAI

Tuners inc= custom tune

Kooks shorty headers

No cats

2013 gt500 cat back 

blowfish racing shifter bracket

DSS one piece driveshaft

2013 gt500 cooling fan

mcleod RST twin disk clutch w/2013 gt500 master cyl.

Ford racing clutch line

13.8 gt500 rear disks and adapter brackets(so i can run stock brakes during race season)

steeda boss springs

Fully adjustable UPR rear suspension 

447rwhp -392rwtq

11.6@119 best 1/4 to date

#9 Ginger

Ginger

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:00 AM

I Think what 2HP is saying....If you are in the middle of installing a tune and something happens to the voltage or loose power completely. Your PCM will be bricked.

I could be wrong, but this is my take on it.

That's why they say, when downloading a tune never do anything inside the car while the download is in progress. Such as turn on radio or lights or step on the brakes. I was told also to have the door closed so cabin light would not be on. When I installed my Steeda tune this advice was given to me when I spoke to them before I went out to do the install. They said touch nothing while the download is in progress.

That statement made me sweat some! But my Steeda tune went 100% perfect and now I have miles of smiles for my needs.

Anytime you flash your PCM you do run a risk that some stupid freak problem can happen. I know this my sound like way overkill. But when I did my tune, I locked myself inside the car just so no one (family member) could walk up and open the door to say what are you doing...Lol

Dave if I'm wrong with my take on voltage or power. Please correct me and the members. 

• 302 Hi Pro and Rich B. like this

#10 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

Believe Ginger is correct, had charger on my battery for that reason as Ford required it in their instructions to install even TK. Not sure of exact ramifications of a power flux or loss but I'd go with O2's, Ginger's and GHIGB2's posts. Think also now I have enough information on earlier questions.

Edited by Rich B., 16 April 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#11 GHIGBoss302

GHIGBoss302

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 73 posts
  • Current Vehicle:GHIG Boss 302

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

It is possible to brick the pcm. With a battery voltage under 11.8 volts. Which seems low but a normal charged battery is around 12.5-12.8 .. With a good battery ,there shouldnt be any worries. Unless like everyone else says you have a high draw somewhere. But like others have stated nothing on during the reflash since its pretty quick. You shouldnt have any issues.

I flash cars on a daily basis at work ( dealership tech but not for ford) and unless the battery voltage is less than .5 volt from the edge or its a reflash thats gonna take longer than 5 mins . Is the only time i hook a charger to the car. and if you do use a charger make sure its on low voltage because a high voltage surge while reflashing can also brick a pcm ..

• Rich B. likes this

2013 GHIG Boss 302 

Mods just a few:

Steeda CAI

Tuners inc= custom tune

Kooks shorty headers

No cats

2013 gt500 cat back 

blowfish racing shifter bracket

DSS one piece driveshaft

2013 gt500 cooling fan

mcleod RST twin disk clutch w/2013 gt500 master cyl.

Ford racing clutch line

13.8 gt500 rear disks and adapter brackets(so i can run stock brakes during race season)

steeda boss springs

Fully adjustable UPR rear suspension 

447rwhp -392rwtq

11.6@119 best 1/4 to date

#12 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

I Think what 2HP is saying....If you are in the middle of installing a tune and something happens to the voltage or loose power completely. Your PCM will be bricked.
I could be wrong, but this is my take on it.
That's why they say, when downloading a tune never do anything inside the car while the download is in progress. Such as turn on radio or lights or step on the brakes. I was told also to have the door closed so cabin light would not be on. When I installed my Steeda tune this advice was given to me when I spoke to them before I went out to do the install. They said touch nothing while the download is in progress.
That statement made me sweat some! But my Steeda tune went 100% perfect and now I have miles of smiles for my needs.
Anytime you flash your PCM you do run a risk that some stupid freak problem can happen. I know this my sound like way overkill. But when I did my tune, I locked myself inside the car just so no one (family member) could walk up and open the door to say what are you doing...Lol

Dave if I'm wrong with my take on voltage or power. Please correct me and the members.

Ginger:

You got it! I was referring to voltage drop or failure during the tuning process. @Kirk, @Charles, sorry about the confusion, but my post was in reference to the Tuning Process of the PCM. @GHIGBoss302 Thank you for the further clarification and battery voltage percautions during the Tune Process.

I've only used the SCT X4 Tuner and it's a nice unit. I use it to monitor my PCM parameters on occasion to verify AFR's after my intake and exhaust mods. Make one sleep easier at night if you know what I mean.

Thanks again,
302 Hi Pro
  • TymeSlayer and Ginger like this

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#13 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 140 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

Thank you GHIG for the insights. Can anyone with both the Ford stock and TK tunes confirm that you can do an aftermarket tune and still return to BOTH oem tunes if desired?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·