Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Flat Bottom Racing Wheel Project

Steering flat bottom wheel

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,434 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 L S # 482 blk/red
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

"D" shaped steering wheel as GM calls it- fits C7,is 300.00 new from factory.
A nice Grant wheel from Carid.com is 400.

Edited by LSECO, 21 June 2017 - 06:15 AM.

<p><p> 2012 LAGUNA SECA Black/Race Red: The FIRST year of the RETURN of the Boss 302, (Gen.II) Road-Race ready.
L O - J A C K theft recovery system.
Pedestal wing with GT-500 Gurney flap,modified fr. splitter.Halon fire extinguisher.Cervini ram air hood w/heat extractors. Recaro racing seats, race red rear seat delete brace bar,4pt.race red seatbelts and harness bar,r.r. front splitter adj.rods,r.r.coil covers and r.r.shock tower brace.LS race gauge pack.FRPP race brake cooling ducts, Motul 600 race brake fluid, FRPP trans cooling scoop, AEM intake tube kit, oil catch can-pass side only, FRPP TRACKEY,SilverHorse gas filler lid.MMD satin black tail light surrounds,MMD Carbon fiber wrapped hood gas struts, projector headlights w/sequential turn signals and emergencies,rear brake/emergencies sequencers.CSI protective smoke head light covers-daytime use only, satin black LS faux gas cap.Honeycomb ELEANOR grill w/hidden LED HALO fogs,honeycomb front lower grill,limo tint on rear glass ONLY,LED interior, license plate, and trunk lighting, satin silver billet e-brake handle, mirror adj.knob ,shifter ball,rear seatbelt mounting covers.Eibach Sportline road racing lowering springs(installed by Eibach), FRPP 1pc. aluminium drive shaft,Bama "tunes for life", Kooks long tube headers,Kooks cat delete offroad X-pipe,resonator delete over axle pipes,On-3-Go muffler deletes.
Custom smoke/nickel chrome, LIGHTWEIGHT 19X10 wheels-295×30×19 fronts-295x30x19 rears w/Hoosier R6 tyres for spirited driving, Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on stock RED rims for inclement monsoon weather, Carbotech brake pads, race red Brembo calipers,FRPP GT500 rear rotors conversion, MGW Race spec.III shifter,Whiteline trans mount bushing, J&M adjustable panhard bar.Dual clutch transmission fluids,

(just a SMIDGEON of mods compared to most of "MY BOSSBROS") All LS take-off parts are packaged up..... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:   

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#22 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 157 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 Laguna Seca
  • Boss 302's Year:2013
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

Any news?

FINAL UPDATE:  For those of you who have been following this thread, the flat-bottom wheel project was undertaken by Redline Goods (http://www.redlinego...1014fbwheel.php).  While the quality of the work was outstanding (very OEM in terms of build quality) the limited number of donor wheels available at their location meant that the 1st edition I was sent was not up to my, admittedly, very high aesthetic standards.  The wheel photographed on their page linked above is exactly what I was sent.  Because my car only has 2500 miles, I chose not to accept the wheel due to the donor wheel imperfections that were present.

When ordering, I chose to have the wheel covered in genuine Alcantara, similar to the OEM wheel, in their Charcoal color. While the color in person is far darker than what we have in the cars currently and what appears on the website, it does compliment the interior well and would tie in better with the black Recaro seats than the current wheel.  The quality of the Alcantara material and stitching was outstanding.

While I am somewhat disappointed the project did not work out for me as intended, it did create a new product for Mustang enthusiasts from a company that stands behind their product.  The team at Redline has been great to work with (Mike and Jack) and I would highly recommend reaching out to them if this is a product you are considering.  If you would like more details on my experience, the wheel itself, or have questions please PM me, I am happy to help everyone in the community.

• TymeSlayer and Rich B. like this

#23 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,485 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

Those would be really nice but I think the hassle of pulling the wheel changing over the gadgetry, reinstalling and sending back my wheel, probably not. But once you have one, can't drive without I'm sure. Think I'd rather spend on a set.of Kooks side pipes but not available anymore.

#24 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 157 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

The process itself is not bad...

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=vjColoG9Y_8

It is just the potential downtime if you chose to send yours to them or let them select a 'blank' to work from. The latter is what I did and where the experience unfortunately failed.
  • Rich B. likes this

#25 Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,485 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:45 PM

The process itself is not bad...
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=vjColoG9Y_8
It is just the potential downtime if you chose to send yours to them or let them select a 'blank' to work from. The latter is what I did and where the experience unfortunately failed.

Thanks for sharing c1. That's way easy and know what the airbag change will consist of. Things have improved, last steering wheel I took off needed a gear puller and it came off hard. Had a splined shaft and had to reinstall exact or wheel would be crooked going straight.

#26 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,434 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:35 AM

Now square wheels are all the rage...see the new Ford GT wheel that even lights up, totally awesome.
  • Rich B. likes this
<p><p> 2012 LAGUNA SECA Black/Race Red: The FIRST year of the RETURN of the Boss 302, (Gen.II) Road-Race ready.
Pedestal wing with GT-500 Gurney flap,modified fr. splitter.Halon fire extinguisher.Cervini ram air hood w/heat extractors. Recaro racing seats, race red rear seat delete brace bar,4pt.race red seatbelts and harness bar,r.r. front splitter adj.rods,r.r.coil covers and r.r.shock tower brace.LS race gauge pack.FRPP race brake cooling ducts, Motul 600 race brake fluid, FRPP trans cooling scoop, AEM intake tube kit, oil catch can-pass side only, FRPP TRACKEY,SilverHorse gas filler lid.MMD satin black tail light surrounds,MMD Carbon fiber wrapped hood gas struts, projector headlights w/sequential turn signals and emergencies,rear brake/emergencies sequencers.CSI protective smoke head light covers-daytime use only, satin black LS faux gas cap.Honeycomb ELEANOR grill w/hidden LED HALO fogs,honeycomb front lower grill,limo tint on rear glass ONLY,LED interior, license plate, and trunk lighting, satin silver billet e-brake handle, mirror adj.knob ,shifter ball,rear seatbelt mounting covers.Eibach Sportline road racing lowering springs(installed by Eibach), FRPP 1pc. aluminium drive shaft,Bama "tunes for life", Kooks long tube headers,Kooks cat delete offroad X-pipe,resonator delete over axle pipes,On-3-Go muffler deletes.
Custom smoke/nickel chrome, LIGHTWEIGHT 19X10 wheels-295×30×19 fronts-295x30x19 rears w/Hoosier R6 tyres for spirited driving, Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on stock RED rims for inclement monsoon weather, Carbotech brake pads, race red Brembo calipers,FRPP GT500 rear rotors conversion, MGW Race spec.III shifter,Whiteline trans mount bushing, J&M adjustable panhard bar.Dual clutch transmission fluids,

(just a SMIDGEON of mods compared to most of "MY BOSSBROS") All LS take-off parts are packaged up..... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:   

#27 Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,485 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:36 AM

Think square wheels were around in the 50's on Chryslers and such. What comes to mind now is a wheel like in an aircraft cockpit, might not be bad with power steering for turns. 1960 Plymouth with square wheel and push button speed shifter and aircraft style steering. Attached File  image.jpeg   50.27KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   51.89KB   0 downloads

Edited by Rich B., 18 July 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#28 cholmes1

cholmes1

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 157 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

Now square wheels are all the rage...see the new Ford GT wheel that even lights up, totally awesome.

Think square wheels were around in the 50's on Chryslers and such. What comes to mind now is a wheel like in an aircraft cockpit, might not be bad with power steering for turns. 1960 Plymouth with square wheel and push button speed shifter and aircraft style steering. attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The Ford GT wheel is likely as close as we will see to an F1 style wheel.  It is beautiful to be certain, but the issue is with the steering ratio required to use such a wheel.  If you look at the extreme end, F1, they are not crossing their hands to make 180 degree turns, they have to alter the steering racks for each track (Monaco has the most aggressive ratio).  The same concept would apply to a plane yoke, it is only designed to go side to side.  If the wheels become too square then they are not practical for daily driving or would require such an aggressive ratio that most drivers would crash the first time they attempt to change lanes or make a 90 degree turn.  It would certainly be a fine balance.

• TymeSlayer, Rich B. and Dimo like this

#29 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,434 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

I'M 170 5-10,normally @ 185. in the past 12 mo. I had my left meniscus trimmed, right wrist repaired,neck fused,and lumbar herniated disk repaired. If,after complete recovery and my thighs get fat again ,I'll definitely purchase the flat BOTTOM wheel, presently available.it is a sweet direct replacement at a reasonable price and no down time.

Riding/training horses has/had taken its toll on my body. I should be good to go for a few more years!

Attached Files

Edited by LSECO, 20 July 2017 - 10:44 PM.

• Ginger likes this

#30 Ginger

Ginger

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:Other
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

I'M 170 5-10,normally @ 185. in the past 12 mo. I had my left meniscus trimmed, right wrist repaired,neck fused,and lumbar herniated disk repaired. If,after complete recovery and my thighs get fat again ,I'll definitely purchase the flat BOTTOM wheel, presently available.it is a sweet direct replacement at a reasonable price and no down time.

Riding/training horses has/had taken its toll on my body. I should be good to go for a few more years!

That looks like a strong bit your pony has. May I ask what type of riding you do?? Roper, Barrel racing, ( I know girls mainly do this ), cows or just train.

Been into horses for over 25 years now. I had 5 but as time goes by and getting older. I'm down to 3. I no longer rider due to many surgeries. My daughter competes with them (Barrel Racing) still. Horses amaze me with the level of power they produce and if you know and understand them they are gentle giants. 

Edited by Ginger, 21 July 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#31 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,434 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

I like rugged trail riding, racing,herding,breaking,training,and exploring. I get along with most horses...horses that have almost killed their owners...Someone needs to work these scary to the owners horses. I was taught most of my equestrian skills by Mexican Charros in the So.Cal.hills. I look eye to eye at the animals,and even stick my ear in their nostrils to gain their confidence.WORKS FOR ME.

GENTLENESS IS KEY.

In that pic I am running a fast tight circle.

I have never owned a horse, but plan to breed a quarter horse for local races near my ranch I'm putting together.

I have yet to clean a stall,feed them,fly spray them,warmed them up,they are always groomed, clean and ready to rock when I arrive.brushed one once, my pay was only to spend time with these magnificent animals.I have seen much mistreatment which pisses me off.

Mistreatment to animals is a form of bullying and racism.
I.M.H.O.

Edited by LSECO, 21 July 2017 - 10:05 PM.

• Rich B. likes this

#32 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:35 PM

Curious.  What "Race" are horses?? 

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#33 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,434 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:18 AM

Any horse can try to out perform another.

But the races can be broken down to quarter horses or thorough breeds.(much longer distance compared to the quicker 1/4 types.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steering, flat bottom, wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·