Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MT-82

13 Boss LS MT-82

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Saleenssc62

Saleenssc62

New Boss 302 Member

• Southeast Region
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:1991 Saleen SC #13 Mustang
  • Boss 302's Year:Decline

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:24 PM

I had a 13 Black LS for about two weeks last year(I am a independent auto dealer), and absolutely loved everything about the car except how the MT-82 shifted, it did have a stock shifter which I know was the biggest problems.  Has anyone experienced any problems with the MT-82 trans?  What can be done besides a shifter to improve the MT-82?  I am looking for purchase a black 13 LS to keep and just wants to be up to date on any known issues. Thanks in advance.

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,318 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:30 AM

Seems to be the shifter and related linkage more than transmission, it is independent, floats. Bunch of remedies out there ie: stiffening brackets, bushings, new shifters, maybe a few other things too. Never had a problem with mine but I only go to about 5K rpm for shifting.

Edited by Rich B., 11 April 2017 - 04:32 AM.

#3 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 902 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

There are two schools of thought on the cause of shifting issues. One is he shifter it self is the cause and the second is the Clutch.

I have replaced both on. My Boss. If I had to point to the root cause of,shifting lockout.....it's the clutch. Feel and crispness....the shifter.

If the car locks out at higher revs....refuses to go into gear, replace the clutch with a Lighter aftermarket clutch. If you have a vague feeling through the shifter, buy an MGW shifter. Want to throw fixes at it once and be done with it, buy both.

Hydraulic line, trans mount stiffener and motor mounts had limited success, don't go there first.

Enjoy your new ride.

Edited by TMSBOSS, 11 April 2017 - 07:15 AM.

• Ginger likes this

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#4 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

I had a 13 Black LS for about two weeks last year(I am a independent auto dealer), and absolutely loved everything about the car except how the MT-82 shifted, it did have a stock shifter which I know was the biggest problems.  Has anyone experienced any problems with the MT-82 trans?  What can be done besides a shifter to improve the MT-82?  I am looking for purchase a black 13 LS to keep and just wants to be up to date on any known issues. Thanks in advance.

You ask: "What can be done besides the shifter?" Like you suspected, it's the clutch assy. Lots of clutch options for you depending how you drive and intended use. When my time comes, I'll look at the Spec Stage 3+ with the full face sprung hub disc. Or the Exedy 6000 series units. If I go with a dual, it will be from ACE, (Shelby Store), as these units are more suited to competition use.

Next: Our friend, Ben Calmer in Pittsburgh, PA offers 2 levels of comp rebuilds for the MT82 and he is first class. But fortunately, my MT82 is trouble free in the shifting department.

Transmission oil makes a difference, see Ford's TSB for trans fluid. My Ford Dealer did this for me N/C and it made a nice difference, but I had low miles so it helped to midagate shift problems, IMO.

The MGW Race Spec shifter is a dream to shift and I can't seem to shift it fast enough to even miss a gear, it's that good. In fact the 2-3 shift is an open palm shift and I just shove the shift ball towards the general direction of the dash, and never missed a 2-3 shift.

I did replace the plastic clutch line, but I used the pre-formed SS tube to flex line from Ford Racing. I didn't want to have the plastic line expand when hot. It was developed for the Boss 302R endurance car as the plastic line didn't hold up to the heat of endurance racing riggers. Not that I'll ever need it for that, right? Just Head-Sh~¥. (You might know how that goes.)

Keep us posted on your decision.
302 Hi Pro

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·