Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

opinions on kooks 2'' primary LTH??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chris2393

chris2393

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 boss 302
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

So im looking into starting to upgrade my boss finally after months of having it .im looking at headers right now and i couldnt find anyone on here running those same headers? All i want to do to the car right now is a CAI, tune, and exhaust, eventually im going to upgrade the trans, then put a kenne bell on it.

https://www.kookshea...eader-5-0l.html

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 GHIGBoss302

GHIGBoss302

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 78 posts
  • Region:Other
  • Current Vehicle:GHIG Boss 302
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:19 PM

I personally think long tubes arent worth it. Not for a couple extra ponies compared to shorty headers. I personally run kooks shorty headers for our cars. I love them and im all N/A . WIth my mods i put down a nice 447rwhp and its MORE than enough for a street car. After my experience with 2.2 kenne bell on my last mustang (600rwhp 99gt) i would never get another one of their chargers again.To much hassle compared to other choices out there. 

2013 GHIG Boss 302 

Mods just a few:

Steeda CAI

Tuners inc= custom tune

Kooks shorty headers

No cats

2013 gt500 cat back 

blowfish racing shifter bracket

DSS one piece driveshaft

2013 gt500 cooling fan

Excedy stage4 clutch w/2013 gt500 master cyl.

Ford racing clutch line

13.8 gt500 rear disks and adapter brackets(so i can run stock brakes during race season)

steeda boss springs

Fully adjustable UPR rear suspension 

447rwhp -392rwtq

11.5@120.9 best 1/4 to date

#3 chris2393

chris2393

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 11 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 boss 302

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

Nice! i had found a great deal on the headers and h-pipe so thats why i was thinking of just going that route, as for the supercharger, ill have to keep doing my research, it'll be a little while longer til i go for it, i want to drive it around and enjoy it more right now!

#4 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

I run the Kooks Super Streets headers, (shorties), as I wanted to keep my OEM cats. They were the last exhaust mod I completed and I too really like them. I run a NA setup with OEM TK and I can say that the shortie headers really brought everything together to max my other exhaust and CAI mods. It was a noticeable difference.

I've learned that the U-Code responds very favorably to exhaust mods, much more so than CAI systems. But nice having both. Next up I'm thinking about going with Hi Flow/Hi Performance Cats. Want to keep my Boss 50 states emissions compliant.

Most on forums will say LTH only and if you are going FI down the road, you might want to look at the LTH. But, I would say listen to GHIGBoss302's recommendations because a 447 RWHP 13 Boss 302 running 11.6ET's at 119MPH in the 1/4 is hard to argue with!

Good luck and keep us posted,

302 Hi Pro

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#5 GHIGBoss302

GHIGBoss302

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 78 posts
  • Region:Other
  • Current Vehicle:GHIG Boss 302

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

Nice! i had found a great deal on the headers and h-pipe so thats why i was thinking of just going that route, as for the supercharger, ill have to keep doing my research, it'll be a little while longer til i go for it, i want to drive it around and enjoy it more right now!

Not saying a supercharger isnt nice to have. Just more headaches and more stuff to upgrade. More chances of things going wrong.

I mean a good charger on a boss is 700+rwhp easy. But for a street car, thats a waste who wants a car that needs drag radials just to drive it .. With a few minor mods the boss will wake up and really impress you. Even without a charger.

2013 GHIG Boss 302 

Mods just a few:

Steeda CAI

Tuners inc= custom tune

Kooks shorty headers

No cats

2013 gt500 cat back 

blowfish racing shifter bracket

DSS one piece driveshaft

2013 gt500 cooling fan

Excedy stage4 clutch w/2013 gt500 master cyl.

Ford racing clutch line

13.8 gt500 rear disks and adapter brackets(so i can run stock brakes during race season)

steeda boss springs

Fully adjustable UPR rear suspension 

447rwhp -392rwtq

11.5@120.9 best 1/4 to date

#6 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,485 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:09 AM

I can read between the lines and can see that every Boss has potential for a sub 11 sec. 1/4 mile here. Except mine, yes can understand too that driver error makes the difference. Now recall when Bossy13 installed his Kook's shorties and driver side was off alignment by less than an inch I think it was. Contacted Kooks and he actually had them change their welding jig and sent him an upgrade. So how many sets of them were sold before or after with this imperfection? Guess the shorties connected all right prior too, but not the same position as OEM.

Was always under the impression headers were supposed to have equal length tubing for scavenging action, creating a harmonic pulse balancing effect with a low pressure (vaccum) action taking place. The tubings themselves assisting to extricate the exhaust? Have read nothing but praise and power gains with the unequal length Kook's shorties in use. Jury's still out on this one, just so much conflicting info makes me skeptical.

What did Ford have in mind with their tri-y's? Is this a best kept secret and certainly way different configuration from Kooks shorties? Why didn't Ford use the unequal length shortie version, monetary wise wouldn't think they'd be any more expensive? The after market parts industry is booming now a days but these must be good for something I'd think? Attached File  image.jpeg   203.22KB   0 downloads Attached File  image.jpeg   97.87KB   0 downloads

Edited by Rich B., 17 April 2017 - 06:24 AM.

#7 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

Yep, they are good for 444 HP at the Flywheel and around 372 RWHP (+/- 3~5). The OEM are actually very good for high volume mass produced headers, but take a close look at the pics you posted. Notice anything about pipe diameter consistency?

One thing I know for sure is the Kooks Super Street headers when install with Silver Ceramic Coating sure looks good under the hood.

Bossy13 did an excellent job of documenting his header and exhaust system install in his Exhaust Make Over thread.

302 HP
  • Rich B. likes this

2012 KB Boss 302 MC: 500A | Boss Production Line Assembly Number 2800. Vehicle Special Ordered with Recaro Sport Seats & 3.73:1 Torsen Option | Engine: FRPP 84.5MM TB, Peterson CJ Vent Can, TracKey Activated, AirAid CF PJ CAI, FRPP 84.5MM TB | Drivetrain: AE 4.0" Aluminum DS, MGW Gen 3 Race Spec Shifter, GT500 Clutch Pedal Box, FRPP Stainless Clutch Line, Dedicated Clutch Fluid Reservoir, FRPP Trans Cooler Scoop. | Exhaust: Silver Ceramic Kooks Super Street Headers, MagnaFlow Street/Comp 3.0" SS CB X-Pipe System, Open Kooks SS Boss Side Pipes. | Suspension: FRPP "T" Springs (alternate Steeda Boss Rear Springs), Koni Sports (Yellow) Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Steeda HD Camber Plates, Cortex Watts Link, Steeda Billet KB Poly/Spherical LCA's, KB LCA Relo Brkts, Steeda Adj. UCA & Energy Suspension Sys. Upper Diff Housing Bush, OEM Boss Rear Sway Bar | FRPP GT500 Forged wheels, (19X9.0 F & 19X10.0" R) | Brakes: FRPP Boss 302 Cooling Duct Kit, Steeda SS/Kevlar Brake Lines, GT500 13.8" Rear Rotors, GT500 Rear Brake Pads, Dot 4 Motul 600 HT Fluid | Body: FRPP Boss 302S Grill, FRPP Boss 302 LS Front Splitter, FRPP GT500 Rear Spoiler & Serviceable Gurney Strip, BFR Front Tow Hook, Jacking Plates, 3M Window Tint, (35/20), OEM Boss 302 Floor Mats & Boss 302 Car Cover, Pioneer TS-D6802R Speaker System, Auto Dim, Home Link & Compass Mirror. Notes: Current Intake System - Ram Air thru Front Grill Fog Light, OEM CAI Box and AEM Aluminum Intake Tube with Drop-In High Flow Filter. In Testing Spring 2016. SCT-X4 Tuner used exclusively for Data-Logging AFR/Timing Curves Only. FRPP TracKey is Preferred PCM Tune.

#8 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,485 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

Oh I think the Kooks are awesome O2HP and the design is such that I wouldn't be surprised the appearance of long tubes being such tight quarters and especially ceramic coated. Looking in the engine compartment from an overhead view (maybe not quite birdseye) is what I'm picturing.

Those thumbs are photos I just saved, put on here before. But my point is the things aren't just haphazardly assembled but in a certain configuration with certain diameter tubings. The Kooks sure aren't thrown together either, I'd say completely different theories of exhaust expulsion in competition here. I find it nice to know the whys and how's, then make an informed decision based on pros and cons. But what fun is that?

The tri-y's to me appear as one cylinder at a time is firing and the Kooks all 4 simultaneous. Believe variants of this topic has been covered time to time but I can't ever recall an answer. Too think I tried looking this up to no avail, better luck next time.

Edited by Rich B., 17 April 2017 - 01:05 PM.

• 302 Hi Pro likes this

#9 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 Builder

• 4,334 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

Hey, Rich B:

Very good points on the pulse theory. It would be interesting to see what we would get if we crossed the two. Meaning use the Ford Tri-Y design with the Kooks manderal/hydro bent round tubing. That would be interesting, I would think.

On a side note, they have some darn good welders in North Carolina.

Have fun up there,
302 Hi Pro
  • Rich B. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·