Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler

BSCT12OCTHM

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,913 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 - 2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

Got the new Cooltech oil cooler installed yesterday.

Disconnected the battery as suggested, removed the radiator cover, the air box and then put the car up on four jack stands. Drained the oil and removed the filter. The directions which were somewhat vague, said to remove the front bumper but after looking things over, I decided to just remove the front upper grille and I could squeeze the heat exchanger in. It did work but it made bolting the radiator hold down screws a bit more difficult but not impossible. 

I loosely mounted the brackets to the heat exchanger and after putting lithium grease on the seals, I installed the AN10 to Metric fittings:

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201778_zpswu

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201780_zpsct

I did the same to the fittings on the sandwich plate, taking care not to over tighten them:

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201790_zpsn8

I oiled up the seal and bolted on the sandwich plate loosely, figuring I would have to have some wiggle room for the hoses. I greases up the fitting for the hoses and mounted them to the heat exchanger and ran the hoses down between the radiator and condenser. You'll have to figure the best way to snake the hoses but I was careful not to put them near any sharp edges and where there might be heat concerns. 

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201793_zpsfk

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201797_zpsqc

After figuring out the routing of the hoses, I tightened up the sandwich plate, and all the fittings. I threw a new oil filter back on, added 9-1/2 quarts of oil as the cooler requires an extra quart of oil. Checked for leaks, ran the car for about fifteen minutes and checked again for leaks. None. SWEET!

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201798_zpsg2

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201802_zpseu

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201785_zpsni

All told it took me about four hours and amazingly enough only one cuss tirade. And although I know you can save several hundred dollars putting your own kit together, having the hoses and mounting plates ready to go was worth paying for in my case. Just never seem to have the tyme anymore. 

• Rich B., bossy13, Dimo and 1 other like this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#22 Rich B.

Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,366 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:29 AM

That's a very serious install TS. The cooler is much larger than imagined and what a perfect fit. Just when you thing nothing else could ever be crammed in engine compartment.

Now A/C was mentioned in doc. and I wonder whose actually removing those in the race Bosses? Seems it'd save weight, gain a few HP even with free wheeling and don't believe one races with windows all up, A/C blasting, listening to Mozart tunes lol. But maybe......

Edited by Rich B., 29 May 2017 - 04:37 AM.

• TymeSlayer likes this

#23 bossy13

bossy13

Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 1,416 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302, Race Red
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

Nicely done Kirk. As always - great writeup and pics.

Look forward to the road report after you get some miles on.

BTW, not to derail this topic, but how are you liking the BMR K-member / front-end assembly?

I really dig how it opens up the underside. Spacious and roomy.

I somehow missed your install pics and writeup on this mod   :headscratch:

Have you noticed any difference in the handling of the car?

- b13

Edited by bossy13, 29 May 2017 - 01:46 PM.

• TymeSlayer and Dimo like this

978bfab0-6474-498e-aadb-aa910437be14_zps

Original: 2013 Race Red with TracKey, Recaro Seats, Torsen Diff, and Owners Kit.

Performance Mods: JLT Oil Separator, MGW Shifter, FRPP 84.5 MM TB, Airaid PJ Carbon Fiber Intake, Kooks 1-7/8" Shorty Headers (ceramic coated), Kooks Gen-II Side Pipes, MRT H-pipe, Borla Over-Axle Pipes, GT500 Quad Mufflers (painted black) with Valence, QTEC302 Electric Side-pipe Cutouts,  FRPP SS Clutch Line, FRPP Brake Cooling Kit, GT500 13.8" Rear Brake Upgrade, Vorshlag SS Brake Lines, AE 4" Aluminum DS with BMR safety loop, Shelby transmission scoop.

Suspension Mods: Steeda Boss Lowering Springs, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Koni Yellow Dampers, Whiteline Panhard Bar with Brace, Whiteline LCAs with Relo Brackets.

Appearance Mods: Sound Tube Delete, Race Red Bumper Plugs, CDC Illuminated 'Boss 302' Sill Plates, RedLine Hood Struts, Blacked-out Hood Vents, MRT Aluminum Rear Louvers, SHR Flush Quarter Louvers (matte black), SHR Custom Fuel Door (matte black with RR '302' lettering), Moroso Coolant Reservoir. Moroso Battery & Brake Fluid Covers, CJPony Boss302 Rally Shift Knob.

Track & Safety Mods: Forgestar CF5 19x10" wheels (square configuration), Hoosier R6 295/35-19 R-compound tires, SRP Racing Pedals, LS Rear Seat Delete and Cross Brace (race red), CoolTech Roll Bar (race red) and Crow Harnesses (with Boss 302 emblem).

Planned Mods: Whiteline UCA, CoolTech Tow Hooks, Peterson Breather Can, McCloud RST Clutch, Maybe a set of Sweet BSS Wheels, 500+ BHP (one way or another).

#24 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 2,913 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302 - 2008 Mercury Mountaineer Premier
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:19 AM

The BMR K-member is dialed in along with the radiator support, A-Arms and the FRPP bumpsteer kit. It has certainly added to the rigidity of the front end and dropping well over 20 pounds in the process. It also makes access to the oil filter a breeze. One bad thing is that the change will not allow the traditional mount for the tranny cooler. I'm working on modifying a FRPP one. 

• bossy13 likes this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·