Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

70 Boss Power Steering question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CRR019

CRR019

New Boss 302 Member

• Mountain Region
  • 72 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:12 AM

I have a 1970 Boss 302 with manual steering. It steered OK and returned to center after turning a corner. 

I then purchased a complete rebuilt OEM power steering system: pump, pulleys, brackets, hoses, control valve, boost cylinder, center link, etc. Everything installed nicely, no leaks and the power assist works good. The only problem I'm having is the steering does not return to center on its own after turning a corner.

After I installed the system I had the steering aligned by a shop that specializes in old muscle cars so they had the right setup and specifications for the correct alignment. But, still no return to center. I took it back and had them add more caster to see if that would help but it didn't.

When I installed the system I also replaced the passenger side idler with one from NPD that is supposed to be for power steering since it is the rubber bushing in this idler that is supposed to help the steering return to center.

If you put the car in the air with the engine off, you can grab a wheel and turn it lock to lock with just the normal resistance, so nothing seeks to be binding up. The boost is equal whether turning left or right, car steers and handles great on the road.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 936 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

I would start out very basic. Grease everything, cycle the steering, lock to lock and take it for a ride. Watch To see all points are taking grease.

Then I would check to see if ford had different gear boxes for manual and power assist steering. If different that could be a problem.

Can you disconnect the new components, hydraulic cylinder etc and run without power system? This may show issues with new steering components, center link and idler arm. If the problem remains, check the arm and center link.
  • Rich B. likes this

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#3 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,521 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:38 AM

Is it possible nothing is wrong (just saw this post)? Meaning the power steering is cancelling the inertia and involved gravity which is present with the manual steering rack. Don't those also have pressure relief for maximum L and R radius so as not to over stress linkage and bumpers? Maybe too much relief? Used to be such as power steering, A/C was not desirable as it took away usable HP not to mention around that time going from gross to net engine output ratings. Which was dynoing the engine only and labeling it vs flywheel numbers for engine output (if I recall all that correct). Think The American Society of Automotive Engineers had everything to do with that.

These days abundance of power available, want all that stuff. Think it's standard on most cars now a days.
  • Ginger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·