Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Worst Nightmare......

C7 Corvette Forums.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,553 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:35 AM

Was searching on some of the C7 Corvette forums to attempt on getting some ideas about their so quiet exhaust systems. And if you thought the Bosses had troubles...... These things had more inconsistent problems I couldn't even imagine. Never buy a used one, it is probably a can of worms and know from my C4 are very difficult to do anything on. Not on the used car lot for nothing, nobody's going to tell you about the problems.

Many of the owners contend the exhaust sound is almost nonexistent even less than the C6's. So why bother, Chevy outsmarted themselves and things got worse. Even the videos of after market systems aren't impressive at all that I can see, maybe more so live? The 4 tips are for looks; the 2 outside are more straight through (less baffled?); show sooting and discoloration while the inside ones look unused. Attached File  image.jpeg   118.84KB   0 downloads I don't think so:(

Edited by Rich B., 06 July 2017 - 05:18 AM.

• TymeSlayer likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,444 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302 L S # 482 blk/red
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

I think the C7s are your best bang for the buck.

No supercharger needed for my purposes, so ZO6 -is out.

The Grand Sports are magnificent.

When in the correct "mode"and with minor mods, all the sound a man could ask for is there.
(Probably not as nice sounding as my Boss though)

Yes, a C7 will be hugging my LS at nite in the new garage soon.

And you don't need any mods to hit 200 mph all day long.

There sure are LOTS OF C7s on the LOTS.

Old men buy them to impress the girls, scare the poop out of themselves and sell the monster for a lesser performer,say a Prius.

The more I research the C7, the more I want one. Priorities,priorities,priorities.

Edited by LSECO, 06 July 2017 - 07:17 PM.

• TymeSlayer likes this
<p><p> 2012 LAGUNA SECA Black/Race Red: The FIRST year of the RETURN of the Boss 302, (Gen.II) Road-Race ready.
L O - J A C K theft recovery system.
Pedestal wing with GT-500 Gurney flap,modified fr. splitter.Halon fire extinguisher.Cervini ram air hood w/heat extractors. Recaro racing seats, race red rear seat delete brace bar,4pt.race red seatbelts and harness bar,r.r. front splitter adj.rods,r.r.coil covers and r.r.shock tower brace.LS race gauge pack.FRPP race brake cooling ducts, Motul 600 race brake fluid, FRPP trans cooling scoop, AEM intake tube kit, oil catch can-pass side only, FRPP TRACKEY,SilverHorse gas filler lid.MMD satin black tail light surrounds,MMD Carbon fiber wrapped hood gas struts, projector headlights w/sequential turn signals and emergencies,rear brake/emergencies sequencers.CSI protective smoke head light covers-daytime use only, satin black LS faux gas cap.Honeycomb ELEANOR grill w/hidden LED HALO fogs,honeycomb front lower grill,limo tint on rear glass ONLY,LED interior, license plate, and trunk lighting, satin silver billet e-brake handle, mirror adj.knob ,shifter ball,rear seatbelt mounting covers.Eibach Sportline road racing lowering springs(installed by Eibach), FRPP 1pc. aluminium drive shaft,Bama "tunes for life", Kooks long tube headers,Kooks cat delete offroad X-pipe,resonator delete over axle pipes,On-3-Go muffler deletes.
Custom smoke/nickel chrome, LIGHTWEIGHT 19X10 wheels-295×30×19 fronts-295x30x19 rears w/Hoosier R6 tyres for spirited driving, Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on stock RED rims for inclement monsoon weather, Carbotech brake pads, race red Brembo calipers,FRPP GT500 rear rotors conversion, MGW Race spec.III shifter,Whiteline trans mount bushing, J&M adjustable panhard bar.Dual clutch transmission fluids,

(just a SMIDGEON of mods compared to most of "MY BOSSBROS") All LS take-off parts are packaged up..... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:   

#3 Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:11 AM

I don't know though, these are different systems and naw. I think the problem may be not enough separation of the exhaust itself, sounds monotone. But I know what I heard (not heard) going by. I mean when you can hear a Foxbody 1/4 mile down the road and it is not overly loud or obnoxious? I can never say never though and I could someday own one (again) but would be when the Boss is too loud lol. Supposed to be Utube video here also, takes awhile to show up.

Edited by Rich B., 08 July 2017 - 04:10 AM.

• TymeSlayer likes this

#4 BDAutobahn

BDAutobahn

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 125 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:29 AM

When the C7s first hit the street, they sent out several to car magazines to test.  Not one, not two, but three separate magazines (August issue, if my memory is correct) had catastrophic engine failures.  Look it up.  It's fact.  Pretty sure it was Car & Driver, Automobile, and Road & Track.

As for LSECO's comment about cars that impress girls, I can attest unequivocally that there is one that stands head and shoulders above them all, and I speak from personal experience because my tastes are eclectic (and if you buy cars right, it's about the cheapest hobby there is).  Exotics & Europeans elicit a polar reaction with women- some like 'em, some feel that the guy driving is an unabashed egotist.  Typically that statement holds true, IMO.  A majority of exotic buyers do so for the 'look at me' factor.  Muscle cars are similarly polarizing, and generally speaking the woman who turns her nose at the exotic, may be a fan of good ol' American muscle.  But if you want to have women flock to you like bees to honey, including non-car types, just drive around in a vintage VW Beetle!  Virtually every person who looks at a shiny old Beetle gets an ear-to-ear grin.  I've seen moms literally walk out of their house into the street and flag my car down.  Stop signs get ubiquitous thumbs-up approvals.  Gas station stops are an event (plan ahead).  Old VWs are just non-threatening to everyone, plus so many people have a personal connection to a VW in one fashion or another.  Though I love (!!) my Boss, it's really not the best car to drive in a metropolitan area for multiple reasons (e.g. drive through a residential neighborhood where they're doing a picnic and tell me what types of glaring looks you get).  But a putt putt drive around the lakes in a Beetle is about as therapeutic as you get on four wheels. 

• Rich B. likes this

#5 Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

Roger that on the Corvettes and old VW's BDA, I'd say the philosophy is spot on. In my case since I'm close to 72, married 52 years and have a Boss; it's to keep the young girls away lol. They can be embarrassing at times.

Edited by Rich B., 11 July 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#6 BallwinBoss

BallwinBoss

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 225 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:57 PM

So spent another weekend on the track with the C7 - Z06 and I can tell you that they are amazing cars.  The owners still have transmission problems and overheating problems for sure.  Can't say I was without issue either though.  At high RPM's I couldn't get from 4-5 easily.  Going to try the Blowfish mount and see if that helps.

No offense, but I see these cars in the wall more often than others.  So much power and without experience that's going to be the result.  No Stingray's lately kind of interesting...

• Rich B. and Joe Guess like this

#7 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,444 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

Z06s have problems to overcome if you need 650 HP of enduring, consistant power. (heat sink LOL)

A few things were also mandatory fixes to the Boss for BALLS OUT 444 HP, reliable hp that doesn't fade away.

Why track a luxury car? Even the youngsters are leaning towards the C 7 Grand Sport,8 speed automatic, makes a great cruiser

But man, if I had 500K in mad money,I'd be living in Ford GT.ANY COLOR.I haven't heard a bad thing about it.pure bliss.and Le Man's ?

Makes me feel like part of the Ford Team

My '58 bug might be more useful than I thought !
  • Rich B. likes this
<p><p> 2012 LAGUNA SECA Black/Race Red: The FIRST year of the RETURN of the Boss 302, (Gen.II) Road-Race ready.
Pedestal wing with GT-500 Gurney flap,modified fr. splitter.Halon fire extinguisher.Cervini ram air hood w/heat extractors. Recaro racing seats, race red rear seat delete brace bar,4pt.race red seatbelts and harness bar,r.r. front splitter adj.rods,r.r.coil covers and r.r.shock tower brace.LS race gauge pack.FRPP race brake cooling ducts, Motul 600 race brake fluid, FRPP trans cooling scoop, AEM intake tube kit, oil catch can-pass side only, FRPP TRACKEY,SilverHorse gas filler lid.MMD satin black tail light surrounds,MMD Carbon fiber wrapped hood gas struts, projector headlights w/sequential turn signals and emergencies,rear brake/emergencies sequencers.CSI protective smoke head light covers-daytime use only, satin black LS faux gas cap.Honeycomb ELEANOR grill w/hidden LED HALO fogs,honeycomb front lower grill,limo tint on rear glass ONLY,LED interior, license plate, and trunk lighting, satin silver billet e-brake handle, mirror adj.knob ,shifter ball,rear seatbelt mounting covers.Eibach Sportline road racing lowering springs(installed by Eibach), FRPP 1pc. aluminium drive shaft,Bama "tunes for life", Kooks long tube headers,Kooks cat delete offroad X-pipe,resonator delete over axle pipes,On-3-Go muffler deletes.
Custom smoke/nickel chrome, LIGHTWEIGHT 19X10 wheels-295×30×19 fronts-295x30x19 rears w/Hoosier R6 tyres for spirited driving, Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires on stock RED rims for inclement monsoon weather, Carbotech brake pads, race red Brembo calipers,FRPP GT500 rear rotors conversion, MGW Race spec.III shifter,Whiteline trans mount bushing, J&M adjustable panhard bar.Dual clutch transmission fluids,

(just a SMIDGEON of mods compared to most of "MY BOSSBROS") All LS take-off parts are packaged up..... There is no such thing as a "REGULAR" Boss !!   :rockon:   

#8 LSECO

LSECO

LSECO

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 3,444 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:33 AM

When the C7s first hit the street, they sent out several to car magazines to test.  Not one, not two, but three separate magazines (August issue, if my memory is correct) had catastrophic engine failures.  Look it up.  It's fact.  Pretty sure it was Car & Driver, Automobile, and Road & Track.

As for LSECO's comment about cars that impress girls, I can attest unequivocally that there is one that stands head and shoulders above them all, and I speak from personal experience because my tastes are eclectic (and if you buy cars right, it's about the cheapest hobby there is).  Exotics & Europeans elicit a polar reaction with women- some like 'em, some feel that the guy driving is an unabashed egotist.  Typically that statement holds true, IMO.  A majority of exotic buyers do so for the 'look at me' factor.  Muscle cars are similarly polarizing, and generally speaking the woman who turns her nose at the exotic, may be a fan of good ol' American muscle.  But if you want to have women flock to you like bees to honey, including non-car types, just drive around in a vintage VW Beetle!  Virtually every person who looks at a shiny old Beetle gets an ear-to-ear grin.  I've seen moms literally walk out of their house into the street and flag my car down.  Stop signs get ubiquitous thumbs-up approvals.  Gas station stops are an event (plan ahead).  Old VWs are just non-threatening to everyone, plus so many people have a personal connection to a VW in one fashion or another.  Though I love (!!) my Boss, it's really not the best car to drive in a metropolitan area for multiple reasons (e.g. drive through a residential neighborhood where they're doing a picnic and tell me what types of glaring looks you get).  But a putt putt drive around the lakes in a Beetle is about as therapeutic as you get on four wheels.

Bobby Rahal was asked what his favorite street car was...a'65 PORSCHE 356B with top down at 100 mph was plenty fun enough.

#9 Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:24 AM

This goes back to 2011 and maybe a bit too much but good separation. From our site "Roush Axelbacks".

Edited by Rich B., 15 July 2017 - 05:25 AM.

#10 BOSSBOY

BOSSBOY

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 101 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 BOSS 302 - 2016 GT350 Track Pack - 2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle - 2007 Shelby GT - 2016 Stingray Vert

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

I have a C7 Vert with the 'Multi-Mode Perf. Exhaust' and it sounds incredible switched into "Track" mode!

The car is an amazing feat of technology. With the exhaust, the car is rated at 460 horse and STILL gets an incredible 30mpg on the highway in 7th gear. To be fair, that's switched into "Economy".....but nonetheless..... :cool:

I will never track this car, as it's a vert and I bought it as a cruiser. The top is almost never up. It was two years old last week and has right under 5K miles on it. Half of those miles (literally) are from two trips across the desert from SanDiego to Phx. It's also a very enjoyable road car. With the top up and at 85mph, the interior noise is minimal, compared to other verts I've driven. The 7 forward gears are a mind bender after getting out of my 5 and 6 speed Mustang gearboxes, but rowing through them is butter-smooth.

The performance of just this 1LT model, has IMHO, everything you need and nothing you don't.

Though I bleed Ford Blue, I can't say enough of this car and am saddened that a lot of my Ford friends are haters on it. :(
I assure you they wouldn't feel that way if they drove one.

25367841129_c715c71681_z_d.jpg

33068896663_980784ef82_z_d.jpg

Edited by BOSSBOY, 30 August 2017 - 05:07 PM.

• Rich B. likes this

36698853856_dd49c03257_m_d.jpg

2007 Shelby GT Black #5671

2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle Vista Blue

2012 BOSS 302 Red / White 1 of 156

2016 GT350 Avalanche Grey / Blue Stripe

2016 Stingray Vert Silver / Red Guts  :whistling: 

#11 Rich B.

Rich B.

• Northeast Region
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

Oh I like Corvettes just fine and was looking at them back just before I changed my mind and bought a Boss (sidepipes did it). Every so often one goes by the house and they are quiet (C6's and 7's). They just don't sound what something like that should be, different inside from hearing outside I could imagine. But too even the Bosses with the behemoth OEM mufflers aren't all that for sure.

My '87 wasn't loud either even without mufflers lol. That had precats and the left and right banks went into a huge single monolith converter, talk about faux exhaust and the quad tip OEM mufflers had a blocked off tip in each muffler, only one was actual.

#12 BOSSBOY

BOSSBOY

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 101 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 BOSS 302 - 2016 GT350 Track Pack - 2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle - 2007 Shelby GT - 2016 Stingray Vert

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

, talk about faux exhaust and the quad tip OEM mufflers had a blocked off tip in each muffler, only one was actual.

Know the feeling...... it's ALWAYS bugged me on the Gurney!

:nonono: 

This pic does not reflect it, but last weekend I removed the tips and masked them off completely, and sprayed inside all four matte black. :victory:  Looks way better.

36057369262_3a1fd7d867_z_d.jpg

• Rich B. likes this

#13 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 3,065 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew FX4 - 2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

Who said I was a hater? Okay, maybe a little...

I actually like and have some respect the Vettes. Now those POS Camaros on the other hand...

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

#14 BOSSBOY

BOSSBOY

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

Who said I was a hater? Okay, maybe a little...

I actually like and have some respect the Vettes. Now those POS Camaros on the other hand...

Lol.....nah, I didn't say YOU were a hater Tyme..... I said "my Ford buds". :salute:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·