Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Struts or Prop Rod......

Never used to be.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,521 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

So was over to BJ's (ME bulk and wholesale stores) and was looking at a 64.5 Motor Max Mustang. Made me think that back then, the cars had hood lift springs even my '67. So what's up with the cheap ass prop rod these days for OEM? When was the changeover done and as everything, less for more $$? It's an embarrassment to open the hood and have to fumble for rod to prop the thing open. Oh it's way light in weight but simply just the idea.

Have the Redline SS struts in and what a difference, prop is out in shed loft next to OEM mufflers lol. Still lift the hood up and look for the now missing piece. We have unique this and that but no way to keep the hood open other than...... Nothing was wrong with this (see photo).

Also not certain when the double hood latch was mandated, used to be when you popped the hood it could be lifted. Too many hoods went flying off over tops of cars it appears. Think they were in use by '69, maybe not. Really actually needed hood pins before that adaption (knew I'd think of some topic sooner or later). Of coarse autos had prop rods before the lift springs came along, can't remember back that far.

Attached File  image.jpeg   82.56KB   0 downloads

Edited by Rich B., 10 August 2017 - 06:01 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 3,035 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew FX4 - 2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:13 AM

Not sure when things changed. The springs under the hood was a better idea but I do recall when they went bad, the springs would give inevitably when your head was under the hood and you know the rest of the story. The prop rod was better unless you hit it while working and it slipped, which, once again there would be head trauma. Then along came the struts and I suppose they too can fail and your noggin will pay the price. The double action hood latch was a bit over kill but if you forget to close it completely and ran the car hard, well all kinds of bad things can happen. I do have some aero latch pins for the Boss but haven't put them on yet. The added security at 150 MPH is great but I 'm thinking of an aftermarket hood would be a good victim for my drill and I, rather than spoiling the OEM hood. 

• Rich B. likes this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

#3 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 936 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

Cutting weight is important when trying to make mileage numbers, I am sure that cost also had a lot to do with the change.

BTW. Prop rods predate springs or struts.

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

#4 BOSSBOY

BOSSBOY

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 72 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 BOSS 302 - 2016 GT350 Track Pack - 2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle - 2007 Shelby GT - 2016 Stingray Vert

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

LOL....makes me chuckle a bit.......Jay Leno calls em "Hood Sticks"! :hysterical:

36698853856_dd49c03257_m_d.jpg

2007 Shelby GT Black #5671

2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle Vista Blue

2012 BOSS 302 Red / White 1 of 156

2016 GT350 Avalanche Grey / Blue Stripe

2016 Stingray Vert Silver / Red Guts  :whistling: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·