Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brakes chirping after hard driving

brakes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SavetheManuals

SavetheManuals

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 18 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

Hey guys, haven't been on the forum much lately since I just moved cross country, hope everyone is good! I'm looking to get some input on a slight brake issue, since I am still a rookie to high performance cars and maintenance.

As best I can recall, since I've had the car (picked her up last June w/ 6k miles, now at 21k) the brakes typically chirp a bit after extended sessions of hard driving and hard braking. The chirp only happened when I was not on the brake, seemed to happen about once per wheel revolution, but could be temporarily quieted by applying some brake pressure. The chirp would stop for a couple seconds until the car was jostled a bit by the road and then it would come back. Typically the sound goes away by the time I got home from the driving session, with the exception of some really hard sessions. The last few times I've tracked the car and checked closely I had plenty of brake pad left, no visible rotor wear, and I have no vibration under braking. The chirping has definitely gotten worse, and while I initially thought it was the rear brakes chirping from uneven wear due to ESC/ABS I now believe the front brakes are the main cause of the noise. Since I've been busy with the move I haven't had a chance to take the wheels or brakes off to give it a close inspection, so I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of the cause/solution in the meantime. One of my friends back on the east coast with a '13/14 GT had a similar issue, but he had Hawk pads which were just loud all the time so he never really looked into it. Since the chirping has gotten louder and more consistent in addition to lasting longer, I figured it was time for me to figure out the issue. I don't think it's a rotor issue, could it be a loose/misaligned pad or caliper issue, or just time for new pads?

Has anyone had this experience with their Boss/Mustang, or does anyone know what the cause might be?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Ryan

Save the Manuals! 

2012 CO Boss 302, Recaros & Torsen LSD, TracKey Activated!

Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 | Cooling: Transmission Cooling Scoop, Brake Cooling Shields | Protection: JLT V3.0 Oil Separator

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,487 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

Know brake pads can float and make all kinds of strange sounds and never get a small stone caught between rotor and pad. Sounds like a completely bad wheel bearing. Used to spray the backs of pads to secure them to the caliper to eliminate chatter. They're suppose to drag very slightly but too if a ram isn't releasing completely can place excessive noise, overheating and vibration on wheel. Don't think they've changed that much since I worked on last?

Edited by Rich B., 05 September 2017 - 05:06 PM.

#3 BallwinBoss

BallwinBoss

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 221 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Did you check the inside pad? I've found the insides wear out a bit quicker than the outside pads.

As for alignment I don't know how that would get messed up. Nothing to really align as long as it's stock calipers.

I had a similar issue and it was the low pad warning on the inside that I couldn't see without pulling the tire and looking at the inside pad.

#4 SavetheManuals

SavetheManuals

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 18 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

Rich,

It does sound like it could be the pad(s) floating. What would you spray the back of the pad with? The ram not releasing completely does sound plausible, I think I'm going to have to take a closer look.

BB,

I have not checked the inside pad, very good point. I'll have to get the wheels off and take a closer look at everything.

Thanks guys.

Save the Manuals! 

2012 CO Boss 302, Recaros & Torsen LSD, TracKey Activated!

Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 | Cooling: Transmission Cooling Scoop, Brake Cooling Shields | Protection: JLT V3.0 Oil Separator

#5 Ginger

Ginger

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:Other

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

Check your brake fluid level. If its getting low than you may need brakes. If it looks full you should be good pad wise. That is unless you added fluid sense the brakes were installed. I check all my cars brakes this way. If fluid is getting low and no leaks then its time to pull wheels for a closer inspection. As other have said.... your brake compound also can play games with you. grind one day and squeak the next to quite the day after.  

• Rich B. likes this

#6 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,487 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Rich,
It does sound like it could be the pad(s) floating. What would you spray the back of the pad with? The ram not releasing completely does sound plausible, I think I'm going to have to take a closer look.

BB,
I have not checked the inside pad, very good point. I'll have to get the wheels off and take a closer look at everything.

Thanks guys.

Have used a spray and squeeze tube with this stuff that was sticky, heat resistant and red in color. Found out about it as would come with new pads. Maybe something on web, will look. https://www.amazon.c...V1Z5GVHV9J0HWKZ This is different, maybe better. New products to quiet brakes these days, seems they're popular.

Reminds me, used the sticky gasket spray one time, seemed to work fine. Oh too, spray metal back of pads only if you decide to try something. Me, I'd probably spray front and back lol.

Edited by Rich B., 06 September 2017 - 04:11 PM.

#7 TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS

Experienced Boss Owner

• Great Lakes Region
  • 928 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

Check pads, all four for thickness.  Also "Clean" the rotors with sand paper to remove any build up. 

Could it be a warped rotor?  Maybe except a rotor stays warped and would give a constant noise.

If you are tracking and do not have brake cooling ducts, expect excessive heat and build up of pad materials on the rotor. 

Anything added to the back of the pad is likely to boil off if you are on track or driving aggressively.  I have had pad build up cause excessive vibration with out without braking or something as mild as a brake squeak.

I am betting on warn pads. 

Good luck. 

Blackhawk13-40.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·