Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Engine knock, what is it?

Ford doesnt know

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stevenh

stevenh

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 54 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2010 GT500, 2013 LS

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

My 2013 LS (100% stock with 4k miles) just developed an engine "knock".  You only hear it after it gets to full temperature and it sounds like a lifter only sporadic in that it comes and goes, not consistent like a lifter would be.  Ford had it for a week and together with FRPP can't figure it out, told me to drive another 500 miles and return it for another check.

They had just serviced it and changed the oil, so they want to see the oil after 500 miles.  It didn't do it before the service, so did some tech just drive the sh** out of it when it was at the dealer and bend something, or you guys have any idea?  I hate to think I'll get a new engine because they cant figure it out.  Its never been raced or even dynod, red key never activated.

Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 Ginger

Ginger

New Boss 302 Member

• Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Region:Other
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Boss 302
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:12 AM

. When you say knock, your saying its like a banging / knocking sound. Or is it more like a tick sound. A lifter will make a tick sound most of the time if its bad.

Could be an exhaust leak from factory header if its more like a tick sound. When they changed the oil the first time. What did the oil show?? That would be the oil that should tell all if it there is metal moving around in the engine. And the oil I would be most interested in.

Keep us posted on the findings. Post a video with sound of the sound that your hearing if you can. Guys on Boss302 forum can help with ideas and its a free service...Lol

There is a lot of knowledge here and people that know how much this car means to you.

Good luck Steven

• Rich B. likes this

#3 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,618 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

The knock was (or is) a problem that happens with some Bosses after oil change for some unknown reason. There is a TSB out and Ford was recommending an additive of theirs, X something or other as I recall. Now 5-50wt oil is pretty thick and my opinion is this additive is more of a distillate if anything.

Or maybe their not using the right viscosity oil as the GT's use a 5-20wt. Most dealers don't even know about the side pipes and those can be damaged on lifts, have read about also happening. Photo is 2015 GT. Attached File  image.jpeg   56.59KB   0 downloads.

Of coarse a knocking engine under acceleration means lack of octane. The engine is running like a diesel and fuel igniting on compression stroke, not by spark plug. Octane doesn't add more power, just prevents that from occurring.

Edited by Rich B., 13 November 2017 - 04:51 AM.

#4 Tl9437

Tl9437

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 142 posts
  • Region:Canada, Central
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Mustang Boss 302, 2016 Edge
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

Mine has an intermittent tick sound that I understand is normal. It runs great and strong. Ford dealer doesn't seem concerned. I do have warranty until April 2021, so I be sure to keep bringing it in for the dealer to inspect in case it becomes more than just a small ticking sound.
  • TK6 likes this
2013 Boss 302 #2334 and #482 in Race Red, Recaros with Torsen, Cover and Floor Mats, Roush Mufflers, Borla X Pipe With Fabbed in Side Exits, Borla Resonator Delete Mid Pipes, JLT Oil Separators, 2014 GT500 13.8" Rear Brakes, BMR LCA, Roush Cold Air Intake, Laguna Seca Transmission Cooler, Red Shifter Knob, Blowfish Bracket.

1975 GMC Truck Restored and Hot Rodded(Dad bought this truck brand new)

#5 25dc

25dc

25dc

• Southeast Region
  • 82 posts
  • Region:U.S., South Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

As many of you know, I had a short block change and even with that the tick returned after the first oil change. However, after driving around 500 miles the tick is now gone. I have never had the ticking sound when using the Red Key. My Ford dealership service manager said the tick usually goes away after 300 to 500 miles after the oil change. 

• Tl9437 likes this

#6 TK6

TK6

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 26 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 BOSS 302 SBY

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

I did MY first oil change on my Boss about a month ago.  I used 5w-50 Mobil 1, pre-filled the filter and even primed the oil pump before starting and sure enough, I immediately heard the dreaded tick after the engine came off of high-idle.  Sounds like it's coming from the bottom end.  It was loud, but has gotten progressively quieter over the last month.  (Probably 300 miles or so?)  Seems like a common problem.  I'm just hoping it is merely annoying and will not cause any real issues in the future.

• Tl9437 likes this

#7 stevenh

stevenh

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Thanks guys, I didn't realize there was a history of this problem.  The noise only developed after the service/oil change so they didn't look at the old oil, which is why they want me to put 500 miles on it and bring it back.  But they had it for 7 days, said they worked with Ford Racing and decided not to start tearing it down yet, but if the oil has metal in it I would get a complete new engine.

The exhaust leak does make sense but from what they said they determined the sound was internal.  Its hard to describe, the "ping" of it sounds like a lifter but I don't think it can be as the cadence is so sporadic.  It doesn't sound like any lifter I've ever heard anyway, plus I would think it would be louder when cold, not after warm up.  I guess I have to wait for the 500 mile recheck.

#8 stevenh

stevenh

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

Well brought it back in with 500 more miles, I think they figured I'd have metal shavings in the oil but I don't.  They changed the injector gaskets but that didn't solve it so they have it for another week again.

#9 WHO DA

WHO DA

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Canada, Western
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302 (GHIG)
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

Are you running a good quality/grade of gas? May seem like a silly thing but I learned once (and only once) what crappy low octane sounds like. Lots of random engine ping, some might call it knock but that’s bit of a heavy descriptor. Especially noticeable with side pipe restrictor plates removed.

#10 BOSSBOY

BOSSBOY

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 178 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 BOSS 302 - 2016 GT350 Track Pack - 2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle - 2007 Shelby GT - 2016 Stingray Vert
  • Boss 302's Year:2012

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Are you running a good quality/grade of gas? May seem like a silly thing but I learned once (and only once) what crappy low octane sounds like. Lots of random engine ping, some might call it knock but that’s bit of a heavy descriptor. Especially noticeable with side pipe restrictor plates removed.

^^^^^This

Spark Knock

36698853856_dd49c03257_m_d.jpg

2007 Shelby GT Black #5671

2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle Vista Blue

2012 BOSS 302 Red / White 1 of 156

2016 GT350 Avalanche Grey / Blue Stripe

2016 Stingray Vert Silver / Red Guts  :whistling: 

#11 stevenh

stevenh

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

Yes have good quality 93 octane gas, even ran non ethanol.  And its more like an intermittent tick and a ping than a knock so I guess I didn't describe it as well as I could have.

The dealer has had it all week, as i was driving it in for the service an engine check light came on so I figured that might be the answer  They said it registered as the engine misfiring but it wasn't so a reflash of the computer fixed that.  They have been working remotely with Ford Racing all week replacing parts but after 5 days still no resolution.

#12 WHO DA

WHO DA

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Canada, Western
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302 (GHIG)
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

Hmm strange indeed. Def keep us posted as to what they find, I'm curious now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·