Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mustang Noob 3 Month Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 Laguna Seca
  • Boss 302's Year:2013
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

I got my 2013 Boss last October, and decided to share some of my impressions over my first 3 months of ownership. As the thread title indicates, this is the first Mustang I've ever owned so while I've driven others this probably gives me a slightly skewed impression of what they are like!  :noobie:

I'll start with my only real dislike and get it out of the way: fuel economy.

(When you're done laughing at me, please continue.)

I probably have averaged about 16mpg over the last 3 months, and achieved a whopping 21mpg on a recent road trip up to Oregon. I know how to hypermile, and have done so with cars suitable to that task in the past, but I won't even bother trying to hit the EPA rating in this Monster as it's not worth the driving time. It's good I have a Chevy Volt that I drive all-electric for my daily commute and grocery-getting so I can atone for my sins committed in the Boss.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a hilly section of Northern California with lots of twisties and elevation changes, so when I choose to take the Boss out it's usually on roads suitable for its pedigree. However, I've never owned a car which is so apparently unsuited to exploring its performance on public roads. At first, the car felt really big and somewhat heavy to me (in comparison to the other fun car in my trio, a 2003 Miata of which I'm the original owner) but as I've adjusted to it the more I drive it the more I love it! Probably the closest car to it I've owned was an E36 M3 Sedan that I sold 2 years ago, but that didn't have the grip or the lack of roll the Boss does. The only other car with a solid rear axle I've ever owned was an 83 RX7 GSL. With that, the solid rear made the car "playful" when combined with its relatively low grip and light weight. The Boss if I didn't know it had a solid rear I'd probably not even think about it: yes I know this car has skewed my impressions to a large degree. While driving it the other day the thought crossed my mind, "They wanted you to think you're driving an early 70s IMSA racer, power included." That they largely achieved is (albeit in a quieter, more comfortable form) is really remarkable. On uphill grades the car accelerates like it's immune to gravity. If I ever start to think I need to add power I'll just go make myself drive nothing but the Miata for a week. :lol:

On sound. Sound gets a paragraph all its own. I don't even really know how to work the damn radio in this car after 3 months. The S52 inline 6 in my M3 was absolutely, hair raisingly, lovely at full song. But even that car I didn't just drive around with the windows down constantly, sometimes blasting the heater to do it. I've never been nor even consider myself now a "V8 guy". However, I've never owned a car before that just the hearing it makes a drive an exhilirating experience, you don't even need to be going that fast. And as the revs rise as does the volume your hear rate struggles to match it!  :wub:  OK, I get the whole V8 thing now, at least in the instance of a Boss 302. What makes this more remarkable is my exhaust is stock, with the side pipe baffles in! I'd drive the red key all the time but I'm slightly concerned how it might affect the cats long term since I have to worry about smog down the road, so I save it for special occassions. If anybody has any input on this I'd love to hear it.

Just a personal note for those who might consider adding a rear seat to a Laguna Seca: believe the excellent thread on this forum that makes it sound like a pain in the ass and not a 30 minute job. He is telling you the truth. Now, more specifically the seat belts are the true pain, the seats far less so, but also get the bolts from Ford. Yes, just pay their ridiculous prices. Some things just aren't worth the headache. I really wanted a Laguna Seca for the exclusivity and suspension tuning and I really wanted a back seat so I can actually drive the car when both the wife and kid are along. My advice to anyone who might read this is, unless you absolutely, must have a Laguna Seca just get a regular Boss if you want a back seat! I will say, an unexpected benefit is that the S197 back seat has at least an extra inch of head room in the back, which nixed an S550 with the performance pack a while back.

As mentioned earlier I wrestled with the decision to drive the car all the way up to Oregon (about 500 miles one way) so my sister and brother-in-law could see/drive it. I'm glad I did as they fell in love with it! A couple observations from the trip:

-power makes mountain passes fun

-I love my Passport 8500 radar detector

-being able to pass quickly is actually a safety feature!  :shift:

-the shocks on 1 and the Recaros are far more comfortable than they have any right to be, far better than my Miata on Tein Flex coilovers

-people in more rural areas really notice the Boss, I received more compliments in one day than in 3 months with this car. Kinda cool.

So far, my ownership experience has been a good one. Some times I still can hardly believe I own #551, as this was kind of a "dream car" and I always thought I'd just go get a Cayman S if I ever tripped over a 5 pound gold nugget. But even a lightweight sportscar purist like me has been rather won over by it: it's "different" but that's no less "good". 

Edited by shrspeedblade, 08 January 2018 - 03:55 PM.

• TymeSlayer, Rich B., Tl9437 and 1 other like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,618 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

Well done SSB. You will get 26-27 MPG with silver key on a trip I'd imagine. I was until I went exclusively with red key, as you say it's bad mileage with that. Don't believe there's any problem with converters using TK exclusively, many do with no codes problems whatsoever.

Yes, it takes a dossier as yours to affirm a reappreciation of what we have. Hope on reading more of your impressions and opinions.
  • TymeSlayer, Tl9437 and shrspeedblade like this

#3 shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 13 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

Well done SSB. You will get 26-27 MPG with silver key on a trip I'd imagine. I was until I went exclusively with red key, as you say it's bad mileage with that. Don't believe there's any problem with converters using TK exclusively, many do with no codes problems whatsoever.

Yes, it takes a dossier as yours to affirm a reappreciation of what we have. Hope on reading more of your impressions and opinions.

That was with the silver key! I think the best I saw cruising along around 70mph was about 24mpg, but the tank average was about 22mpg. We do have 91 octane E10 here on the west coast, so that might have something to do with it.  :(

I only use the red key when out for a fun drive solo or showing the car off to somebody else.

• Tl9437 likes this

#4 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,618 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:56 AM

Can't explain such low mileage with silver key, could be fuel I guess. Retarding timing due to potential engine ping/knock. Wife had a Fiesta hatchback when she ran her ceramics business and on highway actually got the advertised 42MPG. Ford sent her a rebate check because that claim wasn't valid...... But it was, thank you Ford; really liked that little car.

My '69 383 road runner tops was 16MPG and that was good for back in gas crunch days. Would start out in 2nd with low rpm shifts when DDing. Had too the Pontiac hood tach, those work way better than dash tach as you remain watching the road. Our LaCrosse has the windshield projection feature and that's quite unique (for me anyways). Can move up or lower display on windshield and has different genres even.

#5 BDAutobahn

BDAutobahn

New Boss 302 Member

• Great Lakes Region
  • 129 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

Fun read SpeedBlade. We have quite a bit in common- Passport and being sportscar guys, to this being our first V8 ++  You just be a Porsche guy too, based upon your Cayman comment. Pretty funny about the radio too; I've never (not a once) turned mine on either (isn't it just two speakers anyway?). At some point, why not get a Cayman and have both! I drive a modified 993 as well and it's quite special to contrast it vs the Boss. Like you say, you can't really enjoy much of the Boss's potential on public roads typically. Sadly, my wife banished ours to a sparsely populated region near the Canadian border because she feared it was angering the neighbors merely driving down the streets in the metropolitan region. My observed fuel mileage, even on the highway, pales compared to even what you are seeing even. Thankfully fuel prices are projected to remain low for the foreseeable future, huh! My favorite part of Boss ownership, unquestionably, is the look on passengers' faces- the intoxicating mix of one of the sweetest exhaust notes in the history of internal combustion engines; plus the pure thrust out of corners; combined with the cornering ability, heightens the perceived sensation of speed. That first time people experience that... priceless. These really are mighty special cars, and will remain so forever. 

• TymeSlayer and shrspeedblade like this

#6 guillaume69

guillaume69

French Boss Owner

• European Region
  • 523 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:2013 GB Boss 302 and 1969 GT Sportsroof 351W

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

So the other day, I went to this racetrack a couple hours north of our place. The idea was to get the Boss on track for a couple laps with the track manager to assess the noise it produces at or above 6000 rpm, as I am organizing a Boss track day next September, and we are limited to 95 decibels, here in France.

So here we are, on the track, and rain is literally pouring down on us. Like you guys say, « Cats and dogs »... At each and every single turn entry, the guy, whos sitting in the passenger seat keeps telling me: « Now is a good time to brake. Brake. Brake! » And I keep asking myself « Why should I brake when we actually are not that fast at all? » And I do not. Everything goes smoothly, I dont even hear the Michelin PSS squeal once. Again, theres so much water on the track that I really keep it cool. Wipers are swinging full speed as well. Like were in some kind of WRC race or something.

After this session, we went to lunch together, chatted a bit and he finally admitted that he was not expecting a Mustang to handle wet corners like this. Actually, he was super impressed with the car (I am nowhere near what you would call a seasoned pilot). He asked me: « Is it modified? »

I said: « No Sir. Its a Ford Boss 302 ».

G

Edited by guillaume69, 13 January 2018 - 01:03 AM.

• TymeSlayer, shrspeedblade and WHO DA like this

2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 (#789)

1969 Acapulco Blue GT Sportsroof - 351 W

#7 shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 13 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

To be honest, I don't have the coin to own a Cayman and a Boss at the same time. I had my fling with German performance cars with my M3, and sold it after I moved to a place where working on cars is quite difficult. I got it with the self agreement that I could keep it as long as I did most of the work on it to keep costs down.  I only mentioned the Cayman as of all the students' cars I've driven at the track that was the one I liked the best.

The Miata has been superb in that while slower it is no less fun and even after 117k miles and tons of track hours is seems well nigh indestructible.

I keep the revs really low when puttering through the neighborhood as well!  ;)

#8 kpg818

kpg818

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

I can confirm the 16 MPG average.  Not sure what Rich B. is thinking on the 26-27... no way.  My highway trip was 18-21 long distance.  Loving my 2013 Boss and can't wait hit the roads again in March when the weather clears up.

#9 shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 13 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

So the other day, I went to this racetrack a couple hours north of our place. The idea was to get the Boss on track for a couple laps with the track manager to assess the noise it produces at or above 6000 rpm, as I am organizing a Boss track day next September, and we are limited to 95 decibels, here in France.

So here we are, on the track, and rain is literally pouring down on us. Like you guys say, « Cats and dogs »... At each and every single turn entry, the guy, whos sitting in the passenger seat keeps telling me: « Now is a good time to brake. Brake. Brake! » And I keep asking myself « Why should I brake when we actually are not that fast at all? » And I do not. Everything goes smoothly, I dont even hear the Michelin PSS squeal once. Again, theres so much water on the track that I really keep it cool. Wipers are swinging full speed as well. Like were in some kind of WRC race or something.

After this session, we went to lunch together, chatted a bit and he finally admitted that he was not expecting a Mustang to handle wet corners like this. Actually, he was super impressed with the car (I am nowhere near what you would call a seasoned pilot). He asked me: « Is it modified? »

I said: « No Sir. Its a Ford Boss 302 ».

G

Great story, and I suspect if I jumped in an older Mustang I might kill myself since my 302LS is my main frame of reference when it comes to handling!

Would have loved to have the Boss when I was over in Northern France in late 2017, but I probably would have gotten myself in a load of merde when my, "Je suis desole, je ne parle pas Francais!" didn't work with the local gendarmerie!  ;)

I can confirm the 16 MPG average.  Not sure what Rich B. is thinking on the 26-27... no way.  My highway trip was 18-21 long distance.  Loving my 2013 Boss and can't wait hit the roads again in March when the weather clears up.

Well, that makes me feel a little better. It's so hard to stay below 4000rpm in this car!  :happy feet:

#10 guillaume69

guillaume69

French Boss Owner

• European Region
  • 523 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:2013 GB Boss 302 and 1969 GT Sportsroof 351W

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

Great story, and I suspect if I jumped in an older Mustang I might kill myself since my 302LS is my main frame of reference when it comes to handling!
Would have loved to have the Boss when I was over in Northern France in late 2017, but I probably would have gotten myself in a load of merde when my, "Je suis desole, je ne parle pas Francais!" didn't work with the local gendarmerie!  ;)
Well, that makes me feel a little better. It's so hard to stay below 4000rpm in this car!  :happy feet:

Well listen to you now! LOL
I dont know yet if I will pardon your French on that one...

The gendarmes are pretty cool about nice US cars over here. Oh they will pull you over, make no mistake, but after checking your drivers licence and insurance, they will ask if you can pop the hood up to take a look at a nice V8.

As long as you dont exceed speed limits, that is.

G

Edited by guillaume69, 16 January 2018 - 01:20 PM.

• TymeSlayer and shrspeedblade like this

2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 (#789)

1969 Acapulco Blue GT Sportsroof - 351 W

#11 shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 13 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Interesting side not that happened yesterday evening that I'll tack on to this thread: Yesterday my son (who is 10) asked me what my favorite car of all time was.

After some thought, I said 288 Ferrari GTO.

Lo and behold I remembered to look up some pictures of one for him, and out of curiosity decided to look up some specs. Now, I fully acknowledge that over 25 years seperate the cars, but I was still shocked to see a Boss 302 was a tick faster, and would probably be even more so around a race track.  :drop:

Makes me even more appreciative to own this car.......but OK, if anybody wants to swap straight across I'll still take the Ferrari GTO!  B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·