Custom Search

REGISTER YOUR BOSS 302 @ the Ford Authorized Boss 302 Registry Here!

Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Boss 302 Forum Club. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Member benefits:
  • Join your Boss 302 region
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos and more. . .
Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

And the truth?

Spare tires.... Period.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,618 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse
  • Boss 302's Year:2013

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:42 AM

I don't believe for a minute that manufacturers (all of them) put the slime and air pump in the trunk in lieu of the compact spare to "save weight"! Gee, aren't they doing the consumer a great service, especially if a driver may weigh in at 250lbs. So much for weight savings and possibly even center of gravity may be out of balance. The 2 stock mufflers weigh way more than anything, get rid of those if you want a lighter car. Not a lightweight low profile wheel and tire which may never be used, but it's there.

As I see it the entire thing was orchestrated to save the industry time and money.... Increase their profit margins, how discerning and thoughtful can they get lmao. Has anybody checked these days on the price of a spare that will clear Brembo brakes as compared to the cheap little compressor and slimy? I'd speculate they save over 75% compared to and including development of something that could even work.

Yes, a very heavy fine is paid in the name of performance. And though many are gullible and believe anything it seems, I feel the automotive industry is seeing what and how much they can get away with and nobody complains hardly. Oh all the excuses and reasons were well rehearsed.

Now Buick wouldn't dare come without a spare for starters (at least mine). It is compact but at least they made the effort anyways. Imagine I'm coming down the ridge into Mechanic Falls on a hot summer day and pick up a spike on the way. So the tire is totally slashed as I pull over across from the now packed ice cream stand. The oohs and ahhs (this is Boss Mustang now) as I find the pump and slime won't work, with no spare of coarse. It all turns into hilarious all out laughter as the tow truck is on scene an hour later to tow the dam thing away. Now to top things off an old man out there swearing to beat the band (as me) lol. Yup, can't wait to be there now.

Edited by Rich B., 11 January 2018 - 06:38 AM.

• BOSSBOY and shrspeedblade like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member of the Boss 302 Club.

It's totally free, has great benefits and unlocks features on this site. Click here to learn more.

#2 falcongtho3

falcongtho3

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 99 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2003 Mach 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:52 AM

I've imagined this same scenario for myself (less the ice cream), and as I work in the tire business it is not only more frustrating for me knowing that this day could well come for me, but the lack of knowledge given to the general public often translates into a tow truck and its cost and time when an even miniature spare would solve so many problems so quickly. I had a customer yesterday wanting to buy a spare since hers was 'missing'. It wasn't missing, I explained, it was never there in her Kia. Only a compressor, much like ours.

I'm still waiting for the class action suit that really, really needs to happen.

Over a third of the cars sold now do not come with a spare. What's sad is how few of those owners know what's in the trunk.

• Rich B. likes this

2003 Mach 1 #13  First day build car

2013 Boss 302 #2950

#3 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 3,106 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew FX4 - 2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302
  • Boss 302's Year:2012
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

I'm getting Rich a Continental Kit for his Boss for Christmas. 

• kevin, Rich B., Dimo and 1 other like this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

#4 ZeroGER

ZeroGER

New Boss 302 Member

• European Region
  • 65 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Mustang Boss 302 Kona Blue

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

I'm still not convinced a single spare wheel would fit front and rear the same time (different size, break problems). So it's somewhat logical to skip it for a repair kit.

#5 BOSSBOY

BOSSBOY

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 178 posts
  • Region:U.S., Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 BOSS 302 - 2016 GT350 Track Pack - 2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle - 2007 Shelby GT - 2016 Stingray Vert

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

I'm getting Rich a Continental Kit for his Boss for Christmas.

:lol:
Now THAT Right there is funny!!!
:lol:

Hmmmm.....but Xmas? That’s a whole year away.....he’s liable to be at that ice cream parlor much sooner than that!? Hahaha

Sorry Rich. Not laughing at your expense, but you gotta admit, that was pretty funny.

BB
  • Rich B. likes this

36698853856_dd49c03257_m_d.jpg

2007 Shelby GT Black #5671

2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle Vista Blue

2012 BOSS 302 Red / White 1 of 156

2016 GT350 Avalanche Grey / Blue Stripe

2016 Stingray Vert Silver / Red Guts  :whistling: 

#6 guillaume69

guillaume69

French Boss Owner

• European Region
  • 523 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • Current Vehicle:2013 GB Boss 302 and 1969 GT Sportsroof 351W

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

I'm still not convinced a single spare wheel would fit front and rear the same time (different size, break problems). So it's somewhat logical to skip it for a repair kit.

Like many here, I have a single spare in my trunck that fits both front and rear. The only thing is it has to be deflated to fit the trunk spare wheel well. So the compressor stays in the trunk...

G
  • Rich B. likes this

2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 (#789)

1969 Acapulco Blue GT Sportsroof - 351 W

#7 shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade

New Boss 302 Member

• Canadian Region
  • 13 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

I had a rather unfortunate situation with a different car (Chevy Volt) several months back that could have been far worse than it was if I hadn't "made my own luck" as it were.

Driving on a fairly remote, twisty Northern California mountain road when a big pot hole around a blind corner left me sitting on the side of the road with a compromised side wall. No cell phone service, and a 2 hour hike to get it. Stuck in a section a tow truck would struggle to load me up anyway. Compressor/goo clearly wasn't going to work (I tried). Traffic was sparse and no guarantee anyone would stop to help anyway.

Luckily, I had picked up one of those patch/plug kits for cheap and thrown in the trunk as extra insurance for a road trip last summer. This falls into the, "Don't try this at home, kids" catergory but as I thought at the time of Captain Jack Sparrow's motto: The two rules of life are what a man can do, and what a man can't do!

....so I forced a plug through the hole in the sidewall, slathered with copious rubber cement. Filled the tire with goo via the compressor. Found it would hole 20 lbs. steady so I could limp it down the mountain. The hilarious part was my seat of the pants fix worked so well I was able to take back roads all the way to Les Schwab to get it replaced.

I agree the deflated donut spare really needs to make a comeback. 

• Rich B. likes this

#8 Rich B.

Rich B.

Not another year gone by?

• Northeast Region
  • 3,618 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Here it is, I kinda like this. Attached File  image.jpeg   33.26KB   0 downloads
  • BOSSBOY likes this

#9 TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer

• Mountain Region
  • 3,106 posts
  • Region:U.S., Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew FX4 - 2013 Ford Edge Limited - 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

You want Chrome or a GHIG shell on that bud? 

• Rich B., BOSSBOY and shrspeedblade like this

FRPP 84.5MM Throttle Body / 302S Bumpsteer Kit / FR500S Front Wheel Hub and Rear Wheel Studs / Front Brake Cooling Ducts / LS Dash Gauges / LS Pedestal Spoiler / Recaro Seats/ Stainless Steel Clutch Line / T-Springs / Torsen Differential / TracKey -  BFR Aluminum Rear Brake Caliper Bracket / Fire Extinguisher Mount / Front Tow Hook Kit - BMR A-Arms / Front Drive Shaft Safety Loop / K-Member / Lower Control Arms / Radiator Support / Upper Control Arms / Watts Link - ForgeStar CF5V Matte Black – Mickey Thompson Street Comps - Hawk High Performance Ceramic Pads  - DBA Slotted Rotors - Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Kooks Shorty’s Headers / Boss 302 Side Pipes – Borla ATAKs Axle Backs / 2-3/4” Over Axle – MRT H-Pipes -QTP Electric Cutouts - Driveshaft Shop One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - Airaid Parnelli Jones Cold Air Intake - CoolTech Boss 302 Oil Cooler with T-Stat / 6PT Harness Belts and Clips - Corbeau Harness Bar - Peterson Air-Oil Separator - Moroso Overflow Tank - SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit / Lightweight Steel Flywheel - MGW Race Spec Shifter - Koni Yellow Sports - Maximum Motorsport Caster-Camber Plates  - Aggressor Airflow Engraved Front Splitter

Member: FRMC - MCA - NASA Rocky Mountain

Sweet Lorraine - Circa March 2015

#10 BOSSBOY

BOSSBOY

New Boss 302 Member

• Pacific Coast Region
  • 178 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 BOSS 302 - 2016 GT350 Track Pack - 2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle - 2007 Shelby GT - 2016 Stingray Vert

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

:lurk:
  • Rich B. likes this

36698853856_dd49c03257_m_d.jpg

2007 Shelby GT Black #5671

2008 Saleen Gurney Eagle Vista Blue

2012 BOSS 302 Red / White 1 of 156

2016 GT350 Avalanche Grey / Blue Stripe

2016 Stingray Vert Silver / Red Guts  :whistling: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users